Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qatar take 9.99% stake in IAG (BA Owners)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2016, 8:39 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by SinoBritAsia
Qatar Airways ups stake in BA owner IAG to almost 12 per cent

Bloomberg: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...ways-owner-iag

Why? "Strengthening ties built around the access BA provides to North America via London and the Gulf carrier’s network of Asian routes."

Did Al Baker just spill the beans on IAG's Q1 result due Friday? “Their performance is absolutely over-the-moon,” Al Baker said during an ATM forum. “They’ve already announced record profits and the first quarter was very good.”

Mods, I recommend updating the threat title to reflect the increased shareholding.

I can see this all ending in tears. There is little to recommend the management of QR and much to fear of it's corporate governance.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 8:52 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Worcester
I can see this all ending in tears...
In what way?
Old Apr 27, 2016, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
In what way?
Well the EU is talking of loosening the 49% cap on EU based airlines, if Al Baker took a majority stake in BA and ran it the same way he runs QR, I can not see it being good for minority shareholders nor staff nor in the long run travellers.

That and do we really want BA to be owned by the rather dodgy Qatari government?
Old Apr 27, 2016, 9:15 am

That and do we really want BA to be owned by the rather dodgy Qatari government?
They do own most of London at this point so them wanting London airways too doesn't surprise me.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If anything I can see IAG managing QR....without the help of dodgy subsidies of course.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 11:01 am

Programs: BA Gold4life, ICH RA, Hyatt Gold and others
Well foreign ownership rules under the current EU aviation suite of deals limit physical ownership by non eu nationals to less than 50% AND limited management influence/back door control. So I cant think its leading anywhere

Qatar like all oil states needs to spread its wealth around the world and buy quality assets that will generate dividends for the mother ship.

The Empire State Building didn't fall down when the Japanese bought it (do the Chinese own it now?)

Qatar could also learn a thing or too from IAG about running a commercial concern in the real world - as one day Qatar is going to have to turn a decent return on its investment. So they may !acquire" experience and expertise as well as access to 25 US destinations for northbound connections.

And if that puts pressure on BA to update the Club World product then it all good!
Old Apr 27, 2016, 12:36 pm

Programs: EY - Gold, BA - Gold
It's quite interesting considering Al-Baker has been expressing his unhappiness with the lack of North American available routes... so it seemed like QR might have been thinking of a way out. This stake shows more commitment.
Old May 17, 2016, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

QR increases its stake in IAG to 15.01% (at 16:22 BST)

"Qatar Airways Recognises Strengthening Of Ties"
"Qatar Airways Fully Supports IAG's Ongoing Strategy"
"Qatar Airways May Consider Increasing Its Stake Further Over Time"
[Source: Dow Jones]

IAG shares spiked in response to the news and settled at about 8 pence up from yesterday after the closing auction (which is not significant beyond the intraday price change).
Old May 17, 2016, 10:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Calchas
QR increases its stake in IAG to 15.01% (at 16:22 BST)

"Qatar Airways Recognises Strengthening Of Ties"
"Qatar Airways Fully Supports IAG's Ongoing Strategy"
"Qatar Airways May Consider Increasing Its Stake Further Over Time"
[Source: Dow Jones]

IAG shares spiked in response to the news and settled at about 8 pence up from yesterday after the closing auction (which is not significant beyond the intraday price change).
Would Qatar buy some American Airlines too? American Airlines dropped over 20% last few months.
Old May 17, 2016, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chongcao
Would Qatar buy some American Airlines too? American Airlines dropped over 20% last few months.
Given's AA's anti-gulf policies, I think it is unlikely. There may also be implications for a foreigner investing in AA.
Old May 17, 2016, 12:04 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Calchas
There may also be implications for a foreigner investing in AA.
A limit of 24.99% I believe, similar to how much BA used to own of US in the 90s.

It would certainly change AA's perspective on gulf airlines...
Old May 17, 2016, 12:51 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by SinoBritAsia

Mods, I recommend updating the threat title to reflect the increased shareholding.
Freudian slip?
Old May 17, 2016, 1:30 pm

I posted this also in the BA media thread but it is relevant to this thread, so I hope I am not going to get into the sin bin for this. Forbes has analysis of the BA/QR relationship here.

Give in a few months QR have gone from 10% to 12% to 15% I wonder where it will end?

Ironic given Walsh's comments about Virgin's tie up with Delta. I wonder if Branson will point that out at some point.

Last edited by Worcester; May 17, 2016 at 1:37 pm
Old May 17, 2016, 1:54 pm

There's a delicious irony to see the US airlines whinging about the ME3 state subsidies. All the legacy US carriers wouldn't be flying today if it wasn't for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection.
Old May 17, 2016, 2:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I posted this also in the BA media thread but it is relevant to this thread, so I hope I am not going to get into the sin bin for this. Forbes has analysis of the BA/QR relationship here.

Give in a few months QR have gone from 10% to 12% to 15% I wonder where it will end?

Ironic given Walsh's comments about Virgin's tie up with Delta. I wonder if Branson will point that out at some point.
Given the Arabs own half of London it's no surprise they want a slice of IAG/BA.

They'll be after Buckingham Palace next.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.