Old Jan 28, 2015, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
The changes in summary
Applicable to bookings made from 28 April 2015
For more information, see BA's 28 January announcement and FAQ on ba.com

Earning
Changes to Avios accrual rates and tier bonuses
  • earning rates increase for flights booked in F, A, J, C, D, and W selling classes
  • no change for flights booked in R, I, Y, B, and H selling classes
  • earning rates reduce for flights booked in E, T, K, L, M, N, S, V, Q, O, and G selling classes

Earning with partners
Reduced earnings in Economy and Premium Economy
AA, IBERIA, JAL, LAN, TAM, ALASKA, SRI LANKAN, QANTAS, CATHAY.

Changes to tier bonuses
  • no change to Gold tier bonuses (100%)
  • Silver tier bonuses reduce from 100% to 50%
  • no change to Bronze tier bonuses (25%)

Changes to minimum Avios amounts (accrued per flight)
  • minimum thresholds increase for long haul premium fares (F, A, J, C, D, W)
  • no change to restricted business class fares (R and I class) and flexible econony (Y, B, and H class)
  • minimum thresholds decrease for WT+ (E and T class) - although there are no BA WTP flights that short
  • minimum thresholds decrease from 500 to 250 Avios for mid priced economy (K, L, M, N, S, and V classes)
  • minimum thresholds decrease from 500 to 125 Avios for cheapest economy (Q, O, and G classes)

Changes to Tier Point earning rates
  • Club World London City flights reduce from 210 to 140 Tier Points
  • Cheapest economy flights (in selling classes Q, O, and G) reduce from 50% to 25% Tier Points
  • No change to minimum 2/4 segments for earning Bronze/Others
  • No change to 25 segment / 50 segment Bronze/Silver earning option
  • No other changes, thresholds still Bronze 300,Silver 600,Gold 1500,GGL 5000 (3000 to retain)

Spending
Promise of greater reward inventory/availability
  • Guaranteed minimum 4 seats in economy on every flight
  • Guaranteed minimum 2 seats in business on every flight
  • Guaranteed seats will be available to book from 355 days before departure and may vanish 45 days before departure, if not already booked.

Changes to standard flight redemption rates
  • Variable rates introduced divided into Off-peak and Peak
  • For Peak time (school holidays and other busy times), and partner costs
  • WT - stays the same cost
  • WTP increases - from x1.5 to x2.0 multiplier (33% increase)
  • Club World increases - from x2.0 to x3.0 multiplier (50% increase)
  • First increases - from x3.0 to x4.0 multiplier (33% increase)
  • For Off Peak time (including every Tuesday and Wednesday throughout the year)
  • WT decreases by 35% from current values
  • WT decreases by 13% from current values
  • Club World increases by 25% from current values
  • First increases by 13% from current values
  • Free domestic add-ons abolished on short haul redemptions
  • No word if CE redemptions will be charged 4500/Ł17.50 or 9000/Ł25 for the UK leg
  • Variable rates introduced on Iberia
  • Flight redemptions on BA's other airline partners will be charged at Peak rates all year round

Changes to Upgrade with Avios
  • Eligible booking codes is set to increase in the near future, allowing mile upgrades from economy (WT and ET) for more travellers - K, L, M, N, S, and V classes added (exact fare codes subject to confirmation)
  • Avios required for upgrade now based on the formula: Avios redemption price for the cabin you want to upgrade to, minus the Avios redemption price for the cabin you have paid for with cash. This means that certain off peak WTP to CW upgrades are more expensive than peak WTP to CW upgrades (assuming peak/off-peak variables will apply to UuA)
Print Wikipost

Executive Club Changes

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2015, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by paulwuk
Surprisingly it was pretty quick too

BA16 timetable 2015
Depart Monday evening 2155, arrive Wednesday morning 0700
LHR 2155-1835 SIN
SIN 2005-0700 SYD

BA712 in 1966
http://www.vc10.net/Data/1966_BOAC_page7.html

Depart Monday afternoon 1615, arrive Wednesday morning 0745
LHR 1615-1740 ZRH
ZRH 1825-2040 FCO
FCO 2125-0825 DEL
DEL 0905-1320 RGN
RGN 1400-1725 KUL
KUL 1805-1850 SIN
SIN 1955-0105 PER
PER 0150-0745 SYD

Now for tier points, in full economy, that would be 20+20+70+40+40+20+70+70 = 350tp, rather than 150 that you get now.
admittedly, clearing customs at 0105 at PER would likely put me off the flight at that point.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 9:28 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
I have not seen this mentioned in the last few pages but the chart below originally posted by prospero has been removed from the changes page. I thought I was going mad or blind.

Anyway, my question is does this chart also apply to RFS fares?

I want to go LHR to DME. It is currently 20,000 Avios plus Ł25 each way. If I book after 28 April will this be available off-peak for 17,000 Avios plus Ł25 each way?

I am presuming DME is a band 3 flight but cannot find any info about bands on BA's website
Old Feb 19, 2015, 11:47 pm

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia

Anyway, my question is does this chart also apply to RFS fares?

I want to go LHR to DME. It is currently 20,000 Avios plus Ł25 each way. If I book after 28 April will this be available off-peak for 17,000 Avios plus Ł25 each way?

I am presuming DME is a band 3 flight but cannot find any info about bands on BA's website
Correct on all counts - yes.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 11:52 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by paul4040
Correct on all counts - yes.
Thank you ^
Old Feb 20, 2015, 12:26 am

Originally Posted by T8191
Nice post, BTW, mtdd. ... and kered ... I shuffle into your corner. The only real value I see [which others would argue anyway] is the Amex PP 241: I reckon we burn enough ŁŁŁ p/a to trigger that, even without booking BA at 3x Avios.
Imagine you got a different credit card and put all those ŁŁŁ though it instead of your BAPP. Lose the 241, save the annual fee, yet gain ... what? Free hotel nights or another airline's miles or maybe Amex MRs which you can convert to a loyalty scheme of your choosing? It's relatively easy to save Łthousands spending hotel points instead of cash, put that cash saving towards buying J flights with whichever airline suits you best?

The BAPP is only one out of a very wide selection of credit cards. You aren't obliged to hold pay for one one just because you've got a shiny BAEC card
Old Feb 20, 2015, 2:00 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hhonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, AVIS Presidents' Club
I heard On Business program will change similarly to BAEC soon. Basically a devaluation again. I was told by our sales rep that there will be a transition period (same for BAEC) where we can use our points under the old conditions OR get the balance transfered into the new scheme by a ratio to match the new system.

I heard a few people were joking with this in the BAEC changes they got a compensation like this for devaluation but was it really offered in this change at least for Golds or something? When I called the local service center they had no clue about anything.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Wadge
I heard On Business program will change similarly to BAEC soon. Basically a devaluation again. I was told by our sales rep that there will be a transition period (same for BAEC) where we can use our points under the old conditions OR get the balance transfered into the new scheme by a ratio to match the new system.

I heard a few people were joking with this in the BAEC changes they got a compensation like this for devaluation but was it really offered in this change at least for Golds or something? When I called the local service center they had no clue about anything.
OB Changes are announced today. Moving to spend based accrual and 2 year expiry, no word about redemption changes. This will probably be the end of my attempt to accrue OB Points moving forward. On the upside better quality redemption options are on the table with IB and AA.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 6:23 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
OB Changes are announced today. Moving to spend based accrual and 2 year expiry, no word about redemption changes. This will probably be the end of my attempt to accrue OB Points moving forward. On the upside better quality redemption options are on the table with IB and AA.
Have you got an email on the changes? I can't see anything mentioned on the OB page on ba.com.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 9:07 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hhonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, AVIS Presidents' Club
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
Yeah, exactly. I got the email today, now even after the ratio of 1:2, our points worth less. Weird, they want to get rid of clients on both BAEC and On Business side?
Old Feb 20, 2015, 9:24 am

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
Executive Club Changes

Here's the email:

As an On Business Member, I wanted to let you know about some upcoming changes that will affect the On Business programme, making it an even smarter choice for your travel budgets.

On 27 May 2015 we will be introducing changes that will impact the way you earn and spend points. We will also be widening the ability to earn and spend points with partner airlines and introducing a Tier system to acknowledge those spending more on flights. By making these changes we will be able to offer you the option of points every time you fly, or cash discounts instead of points on selected flights. You’ll receive more tailored special offers, and clever reporting on your activity - all allowing On Business to deliver you an even more switched on and rewarding loyalty programme in the future.

Earn and spend points on three global airlines
With points soon collectable and redeemable on American Airlines, British Airway and Iberia networks, plus eligible partners, you can look forward to even more reward flights and upgrades. And, if you’re a British Airways Executive Club or Iberia Plus Member you’ll continue to earn Avios too.

Boost your earning power with our new Tier system
We’re introducing three Tiers to the programme. The Tier you’ll be in is related to the amount you spend on business flights each year, rather than how far you travel. As you progress through the Tiers, your points earning power increases with you, enabling you to save more, to spend on reward flights and upgrades. Take a look at how this works here.

Your Tier level will be reviewed annually. However, if you spend the amount required to move to the next Tier before the year is up, you’ll move up to the next Tier and benefit from the higher earn rate.

For more information on Tiers, earn rates and redemption, please click here

Migration to the new programme
We will be closing the current programme at 23:59 GMT on 24 May 2015. We will then begin to migrate our system over to the new On Business programme, which will be completed on 27 May 2015. During this time neither you nor any of the British Airways teams, including your On Business Service Centre, will be able to access your account. You will only be able to change the date and time of an existing booking which can be done through Manage My Booking.

A new redemption system
As you will now earn points based on the amount you spend rather than how far you travel, we are introducing a new structure to the amount of points needed for reward flights and upgrades. To reflect this, your current On Business points balance will be transferred to the new programme at a rate of 1:2 which means your current balance will double.

From 27 May 2015, your transferred points will provide a greater value when redeemed on Non-Premium cabins and carry a slightly lesser value against redemption for our Premium cabins. But with the changes to the way points are earned, and the new redemption structure in the new programme, you will be able to earn more points for Premium cabin bookings instead. You will continue to redeem your points at their current value until 23:59 GMT 24 May 2015.

For a more detailed breakdown of points and redemption value, please click here

Choose cash discounts on selected flights
If it suits your business better, you’ll now be able to choose to get a cash discount on selected flights instead of earning points.

Look forward to better, handpicked special offers and bonuses
We’ll send you exclusive news and special member-only offers to help boost your points and savings. To make the most of these offers, please make sure your On Business contact preferences are up to date, as the more we know about you the better we can serve you.

Enjoy an even easier way to manage your account
Our new management information tool will give you access to custom reporting, as well as a clear view of who is earning points where and when, so you can see where you can make savings.

Thank you for taking the time to read about these changes. We understand you may have additional questions so we have created an FAQ's page here if you’d like more detailed information.

You won’t need to do anything to benefit from these changes, we’ll be in touch shortly to confirm details of your Tier, new account number and password.

We thank you again for your continued loyalty and look forward to welcoming you on board with us soon.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 9:37 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by KARFA
Have you got an email on the changes? I can't see anything mentioned on the OB page on ba.com.
Here's the separate thread relating to the OB announcement.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...me-update.html
Old Feb 20, 2015, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have have just received a confirmation that Domestic Y B H J C R D I. seats will get 100% (not 250% or whatever) Avios, in spite of the table.

Changes to partner earnings are still being calculated.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 10:34 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
The only difference I see between the OB and Avios changes is that the OB changes screw you on redemptions and earnings, and the Avios changes don't screw you on earnings if you're Gold or above.

Both schemes have become significantly less interesting to the point that their benefits are now insignificant in choosing a carrier for a specific flight.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 10:41 am

Programs: BAEC
Executive Club Changes

Both schemes have become significantly less interesting to the point that their benefits are now insignificant in choosing a carrier for a specific flight.

For now......
Old Feb 20, 2015, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I have long since abandoned OB as a concept. All of BA's changes reinforce the rightness of that decision.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.