Old Jan 28, 2015, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
The changes in summary
Applicable to bookings made from 28 April 2015
For more information, see BA's 28 January announcement and FAQ on ba.com

Earning
Changes to Avios accrual rates and tier bonuses
  • earning rates increase for flights booked in F, A, J, C, D, and W selling classes
  • no change for flights booked in R, I, Y, B, and H selling classes
  • earning rates reduce for flights booked in E, T, K, L, M, N, S, V, Q, O, and G selling classes

Earning with partners
Reduced earnings in Economy and Premium Economy
AA, IBERIA, JAL, LAN, TAM, ALASKA, SRI LANKAN, QANTAS, CATHAY.

Changes to tier bonuses
  • no change to Gold tier bonuses (100%)
  • Silver tier bonuses reduce from 100% to 50%
  • no change to Bronze tier bonuses (25%)

Changes to minimum Avios amounts (accrued per flight)
  • minimum thresholds increase for long haul premium fares (F, A, J, C, D, W)
  • no change to restricted business class fares (R and I class) and flexible econony (Y, B, and H class)
  • minimum thresholds decrease for WT+ (E and T class) - although there are no BA WTP flights that short
  • minimum thresholds decrease from 500 to 250 Avios for mid priced economy (K, L, M, N, S, and V classes)
  • minimum thresholds decrease from 500 to 125 Avios for cheapest economy (Q, O, and G classes)

Changes to Tier Point earning rates
  • Club World London City flights reduce from 210 to 140 Tier Points
  • Cheapest economy flights (in selling classes Q, O, and G) reduce from 50% to 25% Tier Points
  • No change to minimum 2/4 segments for earning Bronze/Others
  • No change to 25 segment / 50 segment Bronze/Silver earning option
  • No other changes, thresholds still Bronze 300,Silver 600,Gold 1500,GGL 5000 (3000 to retain)

Spending
Promise of greater reward inventory/availability
  • Guaranteed minimum 4 seats in economy on every flight
  • Guaranteed minimum 2 seats in business on every flight
  • Guaranteed seats will be available to book from 355 days before departure and may vanish 45 days before departure, if not already booked.

Changes to standard flight redemption rates
  • Variable rates introduced divided into Off-peak and Peak
  • For Peak time (school holidays and other busy times), and partner costs
  • WT - stays the same cost
  • WTP increases - from x1.5 to x2.0 multiplier (33% increase)
  • Club World increases - from x2.0 to x3.0 multiplier (50% increase)
  • First increases - from x3.0 to x4.0 multiplier (33% increase)
  • For Off Peak time (including every Tuesday and Wednesday throughout the year)
  • WT decreases by 35% from current values
  • WT decreases by 13% from current values
  • Club World increases by 25% from current values
  • First increases by 13% from current values
  • Free domestic add-ons abolished on short haul redemptions
  • No word if CE redemptions will be charged 4500/Ł17.50 or 9000/Ł25 for the UK leg
  • Variable rates introduced on Iberia
  • Flight redemptions on BA's other airline partners will be charged at Peak rates all year round

Changes to Upgrade with Avios
  • Eligible booking codes is set to increase in the near future, allowing mile upgrades from economy (WT and ET) for more travellers - K, L, M, N, S, and V classes added (exact fare codes subject to confirmation)
  • Avios required for upgrade now based on the formula: Avios redemption price for the cabin you want to upgrade to, minus the Avios redemption price for the cabin you have paid for with cash. This means that certain off peak WTP to CW upgrades are more expensive than peak WTP to CW upgrades (assuming peak/off-peak variables will apply to UuA)
Print Wikipost

Executive Club Changes

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2015, 3:40 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
HEARTBROKEN.

I was really looking forward to see myself going from Bonze to Silver by mid April but now i am not very pleased as of the fact that the Avios earning rate for cheaper Economy tickets are going down, so as the bonuses.

I am trying my best to accept this, and looks like I have to book all my flights for next year... now or they in order to catch the last train before 28 April......

It's time to buy cheap economy tickets and cheap WTP+ to pool more miles and use the old rate to upgrade WT+ to CW!!

(Or I will just move to Virgin Flying Club...?)
Old Jan 28, 2015, 3:41 am

Programs: BA IHG
This really sucks. Impacts to earnings and silver benefits bad enough - but the redemption values are hugely increased. At least 50% more miles now needed for J to SA (from 100k to 150k).
Old Jan 28, 2015, 3:44 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Rickers
Well, thanks to my inbuilt superiority complex, I have never really considered myself a loser ........... until now !

Planning a family trip next year to NYC, and 4 tkts in CW have just jumped from 320,000 Avios to either 400,000 or 480,000 (depending upon where the peak/off-peak seasonality is set), so I am most definitely a loser.

Hey-ho, life's like that .......... I am most definitely not happy about it, nor about the added costs for domestic add-ons (living in Scotland), which have been great for a number of recent European trips, but in reality what it means is that I am likely to have to pay for 1 ticket now with real money instead.

Do you not utilise the BA AMEX PP card and the 241 voucher @ Ł10K spend?

This and the fact the 241 voucher last for 24 months, meaning you could double up the 241 vouchers and cut that redemption cost in half.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 3:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / OW Emerald
As a silver - where my main travel is euro traveller in in discounted economy tickets this isnt great.

I used to actively seek out BA flights but now as it will be much harder to reach silver I dont see this happening.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 3:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
What BA giveth etc

I can't help feeling that BA have been taking note of the serial whingers on here about the BAEC.

OK, so the peak and off-peak redemptions are new but a few years back BA made major changes:
- TPs for all fare buckets (previously discounted Y got none)
- Reduction in BA Miles redemption levels (eg NYC reduced from 50k to 40k)
- Increased bonus for Silver
- Introduction of Bronze
- Er,
- I'm sure there were others

These changes go some way towards reversing all of this.

Originally Posted by Calchas
Speculation: Since the Avios part of the programme is being "spun out" Avios are insisting that it isn't profitable enough as it was?
I'll go further. I have always thought since the last changes (above) BA had an eye on separating BAEC/Avios with a view to hiving it off. Nothing in this announcement has changed this.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 3:45 am
DSA

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador
Unless I'm missing something obvious, the Lloyds Bank Avios Rewards credit card upgrade voucher may have just got much more valuable. Comparisons have been made above of the changes to the redemption table for Business and First fares, however off-peak it appears that long haul reward flights in Economy and Premium Economy are cheaper than currently.

For example a zone 5 flight in PE used to cost 30000 avios each way and now costs 40000 avios each way peak, and 26000 avios each way off-peak.

Bearing in mind that the Lloyds upgrade voucher apparently only requires an available reward flight showing in Business to permit booking then an off-peak redemption to zone 5 would now cost 52000 + voucher. This flight would be "worth" 100000 avios on the new chart, and would have cost 60000 avios + voucher under the current avios pricing. The difference widens as you go further through the zones (e.g. Sydney would be 130000 + voucher off-peak instead of 150000 + voucher currently, and "worth" 250000 avios).

This only applies off-peak. In addition the release of many more business class reward flights should make using the voucher and finding availability much easier.

In addition the reduction in Economy and Premium rates may go some way to offset the high taxes, fees and charges, and perhaps make them more attractive for redemptions (particularly "off peak", which is for quite a lot of the year).

The new arrangements do seem quite complicated, but unless I have interpreted this incorrectly, for me the changes will probably be positive. I will just ensure I redeem on off-peak dates and use the voucher to upgrade into CW!
Old Jan 28, 2015, 3:48 am

Originally Posted by shorthauldad
From where I'm standing, a TP run might make even more sense for some than it did before.
I guess so but this might be based on your particular circumstances - I assume BA will eventually reduce the TP earning capacity for discounted Business class fares. This would target the Business class TP runners who earn a disproportionate level of TPs and Avios compared to their spend. It cannot be right that TP runners who spend so little can get GGL and CCR.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 3:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scillyisles
I believe I posted late last year about how BA Exec club would move more towards a revenue based reward scheme and I was shot down by a few of the long time posters including a few of the TP runners. These people seem to be strangely silent now.
The changes look good to me and reward people better according to how much revenue BA gets from them. The LCY/SNN/JFK TP earning anomaly has gone - shame they have not reduced the TP earning rates on I class fares. Hopefully this will result in less people making the higher status levels and clogging up the lounges and telephone lines.
Tier point runners are one of the non-losers from this arrangement. The loss of LCY-JFK is a bit of bummer but other than that, I think BA quite like us.

It isn't really a revenue programme on the status side. It's just now an only-full-fare-Y or any-J/F programme. Including TP collectors.

Originally Posted by Speedbird876
On ex-EU business class, the connector to London is normally booked in J, so this will get the extra bonus Avios, while the longhaul, if in say I, will get the discounted. Is this right?
Yes.

Originally Posted by benjyyy
Am I right in saying that the cheapest return in CE using Avios from regional airports (BHD is my local) to a non-London destination in off-peak would be 32k avios + Ł100? Thanks BA, but no thanks.
No, or at least, I don't think so. BHD-LHR-BHD is only available in economy class so it'll be Ł50+Ł35=Ł85.

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Indeed, I'd also love to know the singular circumstances attached to paul4040 that means these changes are smelling of roses to him.
paul4040 only travels in full fare Y and full fare W. So he is elevated by the fall of those on discount Y/W fares.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scillyisles
I guess so but this might be based on your particular circumstances - I assume BA will eventually reduce the TP earning capacity for discounted Business class fares. This would target the Business class TP runners who earn a disproportionate level of TPs and Avios compared to their spend. It cannot be right that TP runners who spend so little can get GGL and CCR.
I don't think BA care about that, or they would have changed it today.

The Avios decrease comes from the way Avios is now awarded by an external body. Fine, accounting must be done properly for cheaper fares.

The TP decrease on discount Y fares is about BAEC cost cutting on el-cheapo members.

People buying discretionary I fares are not causing BAEC any problems.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 3:50 am

Programs: BA Gold
The good news is my general trips to Europe book into S class, so I'll still get my whopping 10 TP's per leg.
I'd never relied on that for status so as long as TP for CW/WTP stay in place I should at least retain Silver in the future and lounge access for the many short Europe trips with work.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 3:51 am

Originally Posted by DSA
Unless I'm missing something obvious, the Lloyds Bank Avios Rewards credit card upgrade voucher may have just got much more valuable. Comparisons have been made above of the changes to the redemption table for Business and First fares, however off-peak it appears that long haul reward flights in Economy and Premium Economy are cheaper than currently.

For example a zone 5 flight in PE used to cost 30000 avios each way and now costs 40000 avios each way peak, and 26000 avios each way off-peak.

Bearing in mind that the Lloyds upgrade voucher apparently only requires an available reward flight showing in Business to permit booking then an off-peak redemption to zone 5 would now cost 52000 + voucher. This flight would be "worth" 100000 avios on the new chart, and would have cost 60000 avios + voucher under the current avios pricing. The difference widens as you go further through the zones (e.g. Sydney would be 130000 + voucher off-peak instead of 150000 + voucher currently, and "worth" 250000 avios).

This only applies off-peak. In addition the release of many more business class reward flights should make using the voucher and finding availability much easier.

In addition the reduction in Economy and Premium rates may go some way to offset the high taxes, fees and charges, and perhaps make them more attractive for redemptions (particularly "off peak", which is for quite a lot of the year).

The new arrangements do seem quite complicated, but unless I have interpreted this incorrectly, for me the changes will probably be positive. I will just ensure I redeem on off-peak dates and use the voucher to upgrade into CW!
This ignores that fact that earning the avios in the first place (on flights) just got more expensive.

Programs: BAEC
Whilst it is a little irritating to lose free domestic flights for European destinations in practice they were of little use to me flying out of MAN, as there are usually plenty of other options direct. It always seemed like a waste of effort to fly MAN-PMI via LHR and taking c6 hours rather than 2 direct.
I haven't seen any mention of being able to use other carriers for flights from domestic to European destinations. In particular FlyBe and Monarch will be very useful for me from MAN, always assuming I can find availability of course.

Programs: BA GGL
I think as with every change, there would obviously be people who are upset, but the overall strategy seems right to me in creating additional differentiation between BAEC levels. This unfortunately means that while some benefits get added, some are enhanced away. If you look at what happenned in the last few months:

+ GGL is now harder to achieve at 5000tp
+ Introduction of booking change fees for levels below GGL
+ Decrease in Silver bonus
+ etc

On redemption availability, while rates are going up (ex off peak Zones 1-3), don't forget that earning rates are also going up (for example, J/C/D fares going up from 150 to 250%, which is quite substantial) - this goes in line with the above as it primarily benefits those that fly full fare premium cabins and likely to be Gold and above.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 3:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Calchas
paul4040 only travels in full fare Y and full fare W. So he is elevated by the fall of those on discount Y/W fares.
If he also never redeems in First; or in Business outside band 3; then OK. He's rosey!
Old Jan 28, 2015, 3:53 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by strichener

I am not sure that I can see where you will have won. If you are currently Silver then surely the reduction in avios will offset any potential wins?
I become Gold on Monday.

No, it's good for me because:

1. I can easily retain Gold with a few well placed Club sectors within Europe, to places I like (HEL, IST etc).

2. I don't like busy lounges.

3. Dublin actually becomes cheaper for me to redeem off peak, which is when I want to go. Irish family commitments mean a lot of DUB trips this coming year.

4. Surely - better availability on redemptions.

5. I rarely book LH redemptions.

6. I collect quite a few Avios through schemes outside BAEC which haven't been gutted. Well, not yet!

Losses for me are:

1. No cheapo buggering around with silly open jaw/stopover Euro-domestic Avios redemptions. Example: using long stopovers I can get from DUB-LHR on 20 March and LHR-BHD on 23 April for 4500 Avios and £17.50. Now it'll cost me 8,000 off peak and £35.00 single.

[Today I'm doing LBA-LHR and in June LHR-LUX (to say farewell to a T1!). All on the same booking. 4,500 Avios and £17.50. ]

2. Where I do pay for a domestic I'll be shafted with poorer Avios rates. The TPs are no bother, I'll still fly enough to retain Gold.

I'm not really in BAEC to do mad TP Runs as a hobby. I do genuinely have a requirement to fly to see family and friends, and I have plenty of spare time to go to Europe for a weekend once a month from the regions.

As they say - YMMV!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.