Old Jan 28, 2015, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
The changes in summary
Applicable to bookings made from 28 April 2015
For more information, see BA's 28 January announcement and FAQ on ba.com

Earning
Changes to Avios accrual rates and tier bonuses
  • earning rates increase for flights booked in F, A, J, C, D, and W selling classes
  • no change for flights booked in R, I, Y, B, and H selling classes
  • earning rates reduce for flights booked in E, T, K, L, M, N, S, V, Q, O, and G selling classes

Earning with partners
Reduced earnings in Economy and Premium Economy
AA, IBERIA, JAL, LAN, TAM, ALASKA, SRI LANKAN, QANTAS, CATHAY.

Changes to tier bonuses
  • no change to Gold tier bonuses (100%)
  • Silver tier bonuses reduce from 100% to 50%
  • no change to Bronze tier bonuses (25%)

Changes to minimum Avios amounts (accrued per flight)
  • minimum thresholds increase for long haul premium fares (F, A, J, C, D, W)
  • no change to restricted business class fares (R and I class) and flexible econony (Y, B, and H class)
  • minimum thresholds decrease for WT+ (E and T class) - although there are no BA WTP flights that short
  • minimum thresholds decrease from 500 to 250 Avios for mid priced economy (K, L, M, N, S, and V classes)
  • minimum thresholds decrease from 500 to 125 Avios for cheapest economy (Q, O, and G classes)

Changes to Tier Point earning rates
  • Club World London City flights reduce from 210 to 140 Tier Points
  • Cheapest economy flights (in selling classes Q, O, and G) reduce from 50% to 25% Tier Points
  • No change to minimum 2/4 segments for earning Bronze/Others
  • No change to 25 segment / 50 segment Bronze/Silver earning option
  • No other changes, thresholds still Bronze 300,Silver 600,Gold 1500,GGL 5000 (3000 to retain)

Spending
Promise of greater reward inventory/availability
  • Guaranteed minimum 4 seats in economy on every flight
  • Guaranteed minimum 2 seats in business on every flight
  • Guaranteed seats will be available to book from 355 days before departure and may vanish 45 days before departure, if not already booked.

Changes to standard flight redemption rates
  • Variable rates introduced divided into Off-peak and Peak
  • For Peak time (school holidays and other busy times), and partner costs
  • WT - stays the same cost
  • WTP increases - from x1.5 to x2.0 multiplier (33% increase)
  • Club World increases - from x2.0 to x3.0 multiplier (50% increase)
  • First increases - from x3.0 to x4.0 multiplier (33% increase)
  • For Off Peak time (including every Tuesday and Wednesday throughout the year)
  • WT decreases by 35% from current values
  • WT decreases by 13% from current values
  • Club World increases by 25% from current values
  • First increases by 13% from current values
  • Free domestic add-ons abolished on short haul redemptions
  • No word if CE redemptions will be charged 4500/Ł17.50 or 9000/Ł25 for the UK leg
  • Variable rates introduced on Iberia
  • Flight redemptions on BA's other airline partners will be charged at Peak rates all year round

Changes to Upgrade with Avios
  • Eligible booking codes is set to increase in the near future, allowing mile upgrades from economy (WT and ET) for more travellers - K, L, M, N, S, and V classes added (exact fare codes subject to confirmation)
  • Avios required for upgrade now based on the formula: Avios redemption price for the cabin you want to upgrade to, minus the Avios redemption price for the cabin you have paid for with cash. This means that certain off peak WTP to CW upgrades are more expensive than peak WTP to CW upgrades (assuming peak/off-peak variables will apply to UuA)
Print Wikipost

Executive Club Changes

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2015, 4:23 am

Programs: BA Gold & HH Silver
Well I can honestly say when I read the thread title, I put the kettle on and got a twix out. There has been whispers of this happening for 3-4 months, believe me when I say it could have been worse!
Old Jan 28, 2015, 4:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by paulwuk
The big issue is the RFS doubling in cost. It now costs an extra Ł200 for a family of 4 to fly to Europe.
...unless they happen to live within the LHR or LGW catchment area!
Old Jan 28, 2015, 4:26 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
...unless they happen to live within the LHR or LGW catchment area!
Surprised that they are still called British Airways TBH.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 4:29 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Well, I'm surprised by the unchanged TPs to get Gold; I expected this to go up a little, but hey-ho.
That's exactly what I was thinking LE. The recent (understandable if speculative) consensus on here seemed to be that Silver was headed for 1000TPs and Gold for 2000TPs. I think if you look specifically at the TP earning changes in that context then they could have been much more dramatic.

As it stands the flyers doing x2 CW returns with domestic add on are still going to be silver.
If you do 50x 5TP domestic flights per year you will still be silver by virtue of the number of sectors earning pathway.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 4:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Some of the FAQs are worded very oddly...

The minimum number of reward seats are in economy and business. Does this mean you are not offering more seats in premium economy and first class?

We have agreed that a minimum number of reward seats will be offered on every British Airways flight in economy and business, where 85% of all reward flight bookings are made today. Although we are not introducing a minimum number of seats for premium economy and first class we do expect to continue to see reward seat availability in these cabins as we do today.
First of all, the question is not exactly clear English, since the second part of the question is hardly a logical conclusion of the first statement. Secondly, 'we expect to see...'?? You make the rules, it's not a mystery to you!

Does the new guarantee mean that you didn’t have reward seats available on every flight in the past?

That’s right. In the past, we couldn’t guarantee that any specific number of reward seats would be available on each flight. This new guarantee will add an additional 500,000 reward seats into economy and business over the next year – many of which will require fewer Avios to book.
You couldn't guarantee?? Yes you could, if you wanted to! And most will require more Avios!
Old Jan 28, 2015, 4:31 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Wonder what the "chat" is at BA Executive club based on the majority of comments appearing on this thread. Ears must be stinging
Old Jan 28, 2015, 4:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, CX Gold (OW Sapphire), Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
Just to let you know - been looking at Christmas redemptions to India and two days ago there was WT+ availability ... as of this morning it is gone, but there is plenty of WT and CW availability, in line with this morning's statements.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 4:33 am

Originally Posted by mike&co
Wonder what the "chat" is at BA Executive club based on the majority of comments appearing on this thread. Ears must be stinging
Well, the Executive Club ID was watching things for a while earlier on but has now disappeared. Could be a coffee/fag break, but they may have just run out of popcorn.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 4:33 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by mike&co
Water off a ducks back
Old Jan 28, 2015, 4:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I see nothing here that concerns me....time for a coffee.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 4:35 am

Programs: BAEC Sludge
Originally Posted by SteveF
No, it becomes pointless (or Aviosless) to continue to fly BA in order to earn TPs or Avios on cheapo economy. A significant number of BAEC members don't earn their Avios by flying BA anyway.
This is a good point and sums up my situation. I earn a lot of Avios without flying BA but most if not all flights have been BA in recent years for the Avios/TP potential too. Now that that earning rate has been seriously eroded and Silver is so much harder to get to (I won't now be able to retain it), there is no point in flying BA unless the price is right.

I'll do the Amex for the 2-4-1 and earn Avios elsewhere.

Shame really because I prefer flying BA in Europe to the orange beastie.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 4:36 am

Programs: AC 35K
Wow. Disappointing indeed.

Surely makes premium cabins a lot more attractive, even just WTP, for the full-TPs. We'll see how long that lasts... Silver devaluation is also quite disappointing; I was going to make it to and remain at Silver this year but may now just have to go for Gold with some routing around the US.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 4:36 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by ppp909
Well, the Executive Club ID was watching things for a while earlier on but has now disappeared. Could be a coffee/fag break, but they may have just run out of popcorn.
They probably have a version of Buzzword Bingo....

First Person to mention London Airways - Tick!
First Person to say "It sucks for the regions" - Tick!
Hiddy to make a funny comment - Tick!
etc.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 4:40 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
Got the email this morning. Disappointing. I have no option but to fly BA to some of my destinations simply due to the availability of routes on BA. The vast majority of my flights are UK domestic anyway so I'm already at the bottom of a deep TP/Avios barrel.

I guess what these changes will mean is that fewer people will get silver/gold based on current travel patterns.

The 'extra' awards seats are a joke. I haven't managed to book an award seat on BA for several years now simply due to a lack of availability. I've burnt tons of Avios on hotels instead.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 4:42 am

Originally Posted by matthandy
Yes. Qantas Frequent Flyer is very profitable.
Technically Qantas Loyalty (which QFF is part of) is still an operating segment of QF, and is by far and away the most profitable part of QF. In fact, only Freight and Domestic makes any money and then, it's only breakeven (EBIT of 24M and 30M respectively) QF truly is a frequent flier programme business that flies planes around on the side! (EBIT of 286M AUD compared to losses of 497M on QF International and 116M on Jetstar).

The point of course still stands that it is perfectly possible to decouple a loyalty scheme from an airline - and in many cases it becomes even more valuable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.