Old Jan 28, 2015, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
The changes in summary
Applicable to bookings made from 28 April 2015
For more information, see BA's 28 January announcement and FAQ on ba.com

Earning
Changes to Avios accrual rates and tier bonuses
  • earning rates increase for flights booked in F, A, J, C, D, and W selling classes
  • no change for flights booked in R, I, Y, B, and H selling classes
  • earning rates reduce for flights booked in E, T, K, L, M, N, S, V, Q, O, and G selling classes

Earning with partners
Reduced earnings in Economy and Premium Economy
AA, IBERIA, JAL, LAN, TAM, ALASKA, SRI LANKAN, QANTAS, CATHAY.

Changes to tier bonuses
  • no change to Gold tier bonuses (100%)
  • Silver tier bonuses reduce from 100% to 50%
  • no change to Bronze tier bonuses (25%)

Changes to minimum Avios amounts (accrued per flight)
  • minimum thresholds increase for long haul premium fares (F, A, J, C, D, W)
  • no change to restricted business class fares (R and I class) and flexible econony (Y, B, and H class)
  • minimum thresholds decrease for WT+ (E and T class) - although there are no BA WTP flights that short
  • minimum thresholds decrease from 500 to 250 Avios for mid priced economy (K, L, M, N, S, and V classes)
  • minimum thresholds decrease from 500 to 125 Avios for cheapest economy (Q, O, and G classes)

Changes to Tier Point earning rates
  • Club World London City flights reduce from 210 to 140 Tier Points
  • Cheapest economy flights (in selling classes Q, O, and G) reduce from 50% to 25% Tier Points
  • No change to minimum 2/4 segments for earning Bronze/Others
  • No change to 25 segment / 50 segment Bronze/Silver earning option
  • No other changes, thresholds still Bronze 300,Silver 600,Gold 1500,GGL 5000 (3000 to retain)

Spending
Promise of greater reward inventory/availability
  • Guaranteed minimum 4 seats in economy on every flight
  • Guaranteed minimum 2 seats in business on every flight
  • Guaranteed seats will be available to book from 355 days before departure and may vanish 45 days before departure, if not already booked.

Changes to standard flight redemption rates
  • Variable rates introduced divided into Off-peak and Peak
  • For Peak time (school holidays and other busy times), and partner costs
  • WT - stays the same cost
  • WTP increases - from x1.5 to x2.0 multiplier (33% increase)
  • Club World increases - from x2.0 to x3.0 multiplier (50% increase)
  • First increases - from x3.0 to x4.0 multiplier (33% increase)
  • For Off Peak time (including every Tuesday and Wednesday throughout the year)
  • WT decreases by 35% from current values
  • WT decreases by 13% from current values
  • Club World increases by 25% from current values
  • First increases by 13% from current values
  • Free domestic add-ons abolished on short haul redemptions
  • No word if CE redemptions will be charged 4500/Ł17.50 or 9000/Ł25 for the UK leg
  • Variable rates introduced on Iberia
  • Flight redemptions on BA's other airline partners will be charged at Peak rates all year round

Changes to Upgrade with Avios
  • Eligible booking codes is set to increase in the near future, allowing mile upgrades from economy (WT and ET) for more travellers - K, L, M, N, S, and V classes added (exact fare codes subject to confirmation)
  • Avios required for upgrade now based on the formula: Avios redemption price for the cabin you want to upgrade to, minus the Avios redemption price for the cabin you have paid for with cash. This means that certain off peak WTP to CW upgrades are more expensive than peak WTP to CW upgrades (assuming peak/off-peak variables will apply to UuA)
Print Wikipost

Executive Club Changes

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2015, 4:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum
Thumbs down Carolyn McCall, will be cracking opened the fiz today!

Well I think this is all great news.... For Easyjet! As a member based in the regions, it will now be more cost effective for me to fly direct with EasyJet than to book a RFS with BA. Are they trying hard to drive us into the hands of the competition?

I always took an extra couple of flights to get Silver, and went out of my way to make sure that every flight I took was on BA so that I could keep Silver, but from now on it simply won’t be worth my while, I will probably fly direct with the Orange mob and drop back down to Blue.

BA Are a profitable company, but clearly that’s not good enough for them, well I fear that this could be a test too far for some of the loyal customers in the regions, EZY will just pick up the fall out and get stronger as a consequence, I don’t think they have thought this one through.

I am now felling very let down by the airline I always thought valued my custom.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 4:56 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
They probably have a version of Buzzword Bingo....

First Person to mention London Airways - Tick!
First Person to say "It sucks for the regions" - Tick!
Hiddy to make a funny comment - Tick!
etc.
No one's mentioned a DFS comparison yet though. How about increasing your prices by 50% then offering a discount which still makes them 25% more expensive than before?
Old Jan 28, 2015, 4:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold/GGL, IHG Diamond AMB
Well LGA-LGB certainly got a lot more attractive
Old Jan 28, 2015, 4:57 am

Programs: BD, AA, BA, CO Marriott Plat>gold, Hyatt Diamond>Plat,Hilton Gold SPG Gold PC Plat
Originally Posted by Calchas
Only IB will offer off peak (on their own timetable).
Could you please show a link to this.

Thanks
Old Jan 28, 2015, 4:57 am

Programs: BA Silver/ows, CX AsiaMiles (not even GR anymore!) missing my GO days
Executive Club Changes

The odd thing about all this slicing and dicing of earning for economy sub fares is that many pax they're trying to reward (and incentivize) don't have a choice.

In my corporate booking portal, I can select carrier depending on schedule, but can't change the booking class on a carrier. BA and Lufthansa are both on our preferred list but I'd generally stick with BA. Now, if I work out they silver isn't obtainable given my flying pattern, I'll start spending a bit more time clicking through to see which fare class it is in each, on the theory that I could diversify to get some status in each program/alliance.

In this kind of case, the choice BA is trying to influence isn't "book BA at a cheap fare class or book BA at a more expensive fare class." It's "book BA at a cheap fare class or book someone else." The previous system was already more effective than other programs at disproportionately rewarding premium cabin flying. I don't understand what they aim to accomplish by tinkering at the lower end.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 4:58 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
TP earning for cheap economy on partner airlines?

Has anyone noticed if the reduced TP earning for Q/O/G also applies to partner airlines?

Have chosen BA direct in the past over QR indirect as I got 8x the avios (silver travelling in cheapo economy) - with this change, the avios earning will be broadly similar, and not only would I get extra TPs for the add leg, but also possibly 'full' discount economy TPs, so 90 vs 35!

Well, all I can say is "Thank You BA"! For years I had typically needed to rely on use of my BA miles/avios for biz/first travel on a leisure basis. Thus I spent an inordinate amount of time maximising my BA mileage collection and expending energy on credit card applications etc. For the last couple of years I've been lucky enough that for leisure travel I could choose to pay cash for J/F tickets but have always found that due to a large Avios balance and plentiful AMEX BOGOFs I've not needed to spend it (although tempting at times due to the painful reward availability). It's meant that almost all of my long haul travel has been on BA.

I'm now free of these shackles! Given the devaluation I don't feel that I need to worry so much about accruing Avios. I can now just get on and spend cash on the airline that will give me the best premium experience (I've heard great things about those ME and Asian airlines) and focus less on the reward scheme. I've only seen the BA club and 1st cabin experience deteriorate over the last 15 years and I'm looking forward to trying these other airlines. I guess I'll still collect miles into the most optimal schemes (be foolish not to) but I'm certainly not going to be stubbornly loyal to any particular carrier anymore!

Programs: BA (Gold)
This is a good way of pushing the ones who just hit silver each year to look at EasyJet and pay for a priority pass for the year.

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
While I am not a heavy flier any more, these changes seem to suggest that it is time to burn the flag rather than fly it.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 4:59 am

Programs: BAEC, Etihad Guest, Platinum Tesco Tart
Apologies if this has been asked and answered elsewhere in this thread but....

If you were to book a redemption at current rates before end April and then wish to make a change after end April will BA make you pay additional Avios to bring the changed booking in line with the then current redemption rates?
Old Jan 28, 2015, 4:59 am

Programs: BAEC , M&M , VIRGIN FC , FLYING BLUE
ok here goes

getting the domestic sector of an award flight from the regions to Europe was generous I agree but for us to have to pay double avios and double fees is a bit unfair considering we have no choice but to take two flights

I would suggest a compromise would be the fairer way ----- say maybe standard avios from London but maybe 2000 or 2500 avios for the domestic sector and say Ł10 return for the fees
Old Jan 28, 2015, 5:00 am

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Honnors Silver, IHG Gold, Le Club Silver
For a blue who collects from Amex, Tesco, Hilton, IHG, Topcashback.com, reward for Thoughts etc this has minor negative impact on myself as all my BA. Flights are redemption flights. The reduction in off peak ET and CE reductions is good. Disappointed to see the loss of the free regional connections

However BA are now much less attractive now on long hauls were there is another one world partner, HK - Cathay Pacific, Doha - Qatar, KL - Malaysian Airlines, Quantas - Dubai as all offer a much better product than BA now on the same avios earning rate.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cerebrito
Could you decouple a FF program from an airline and sell it? How would that work? Would they then offer the Avios FF program to other airlines? What incentive would the hived off company have to not reduce the value of avios to nothing?
FFP (Frequent flier programme) acts a bit like an exchange bank holding a currency which they call "Avios".

The FFP sells Avios to the airlines (BA and its oneworld partners), to credit cards (Amex, Lloyds...), survey companies, and a few others. The FFP prints Avios to meet the demand, i.e., converts cash to Avios.

Then when it is time to redeem, the FFP buys flights from the airlines / rooms from the hotels (for a nominal cash rate) and destroys your Avios at the same time, i.e., converts Avios to cash.

There is a strong short term pressure to devalue the Avios exchange rate but this makes the currency less attractive to the purchasers (credit card companies, airlines), which undermines the real cash flow.

There will also be contracts in place between the parties to uphold a certain level of exchange.

The programme makes money by skimming off the top of the exchanges and from the inevitable loss of unredeemed Avios.

Originally Posted by strichener
Surprised that they are still called British Airways TBH.
Do you also find it surprising that London is referred to as a "British" city even though it isn't in all of Britain?

Originally Posted by theultimateflyer
Surely makes premium cabins a lot more attractive, even just WTP, for the full-TPs.
And that is the point.

Originally Posted by kingcole974
Is anyone else not expecting an imminent announcement of RFS for long haul?
Rumours have been circulating for years. I'll believe it when I see it.

The programme is obviously profitable enough to sell off.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 5:04 am

Oh well, it's been good fun but that's it for me and the Exec club...
Old Jan 28, 2015, 5:05 am

Programs: BA, Marriott, Hertz, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Originally Posted by crazy8534
Hmmmm....might have been worse tbh! I feel sorry for the road warriors who were earning status down the back of the plane. Looks like BA doesn't want you in the lounges....
Yep, 180+ flights a year at the back of the bus and it looks like I am to become a victim of some sort of social apartheid that wants to exclude the Dom/ET passenger from the lounge. I'm still gold until May 2016 and then silver until the following May at least. Not sure what will give out first, my constitution or BA's free food and drink. Will certainly be maximizing my and the family's use of the facilities.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.