Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Most arrogant customer service in the world

Most arrogant customer service in the world

Old Jan 6, 15, 7:17 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: London
Programs: BA NON flyer, LH Frequent Traveller, V/A Gold, HGP Diamond, HHonnors Diamond, GHA Black
Posts: 568
Most arrogant customer service in the world

So finally I accepted the refund of my family booking to MLE. Whilst this remains costly to me (notably because of a non cancellable early bird reservation at a hotel) I finally gave in to BA.

This was a redemption booking using miles, a companion voucher and realised with the help of a GGL joker.

Whilst the miles have been refunded, I am still waiting for the cash and both the joker and the companion voucher are no longer valid. They gave me 2500 avios per person to compensate so a total of 12,500

I did ask customer service given the context whether I could be issued a new GGL joker and an extension of the companion voucher.

I got this answer.

Dear TheHak

I am satisfied your complaint has been handled and responded to correctly. The gestures of goodwill we have offered are fair and we will not be adding to them. The issues you have raised have been fully addressed, we now consider the matter closed and we will not respond to any further correspondence regarding these issues. If you have any separate issues you would like us to look into for you, please do not hesitate to contact us.

I appreciate that this is not the reply you were hoping for, and I am sorry to disappoint you. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to review your complaint. We do value our Gold Executive Club members very highly, and I hope that we will be able to welcome you on board again in the future.

Best regards



Good bye BA.
TheHak is offline  
Old Jan 6, 15, 7:22 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Near Edinburgh
Programs: BA Silver
Posts: 9,034
I had a similar comment when I reported a non-working AVOD in WT+ and was offered fewer than the usual 10K Avios. It won't stop me flying BA (they're the best choice for the routes I fly) but its one of the many small experiences that means I no longer recommend BA to colleagues.
Paralytic is offline  
Old Jan 6, 15, 7:25 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Wedged somewhere between BTS and VIE ✈
Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold)
Posts: 6,017
Seems a very blunt answer to me, surely it could have been better worded.
headingwest is offline  
Old Jan 6, 15, 7:34 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Sen, Delta Skymiles Gold
Posts: 865
Not a very pleasant way to reply to a customer.
gordon0808 is offline  
Old Jan 6, 15, 7:34 am
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Berlin, SW Florida, and Toronto
Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Posts: 29,122
Can I ask what the background was? You say that you finally gave in, so what preceded it? I'm curious, because a 'gesture of goodwill' in the amount of 2,500 pp would suggest (to me) that it was something very minor, like an overhead light not working (though I gather you didn't fly.)

The bit about 'we won't be responding any further' suggest some heated letter exchange. Is this the case? I have to say, on the face of it pretty poor.
LondonElite is offline  
Old Jan 6, 15, 7:39 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 133
That's a final comeback letter, something issued after a lot of communication where the conversation isn't really getting anywhere. There's more to this here.

*******views are mine and do not represent British Airways************
worjackie14 is offline  
Old Jan 6, 15, 7:40 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Chelsea
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 1,131
I think it's something to do with BA cancelling the MLE route at certain times of the year

Originally Posted by TheHak View Post
well that's going to be interesting. I now live in NY. Bought 6 non refundable (sales tickets) from NYC to London and then reward tickets (5 from a joker) LGW to MLE 2 days later. I also have bought a non refundable holidays (for 6 people and it aint cheap)..Really curious as to how BA will deal with this....
I am IT-illiterate and so cannot post the link to the thread in question.
BA235 is offline  
Old Jan 6, 15, 7:41 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Munich, Algarve, Sussex or S.F Bay Area
Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Posts: 3,231
I think we need more background here to form any opinion. I got 3K Avios for complaining about missing scones in CE afternoon tea, so 2.5K as goodwill implies BA don't think they have anything to compensate.
Tafflyer is offline  
Old Jan 6, 15, 7:43 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,147
Originally Posted by TheHak View Post
So finally I accepted the refund of my family booking to MLE. Whilst this remains costly to me (notably because of a non cancellable early bird reservation at a hotel) I finally gave in to BA.

This was a redemption booking using miles, a companion voucher and realised with the help of a GGL joker.

Whilst the miles have been refunded, I am still waiting for the cash and both the joker and the companion voucher are no longer valid. They gave me 2500 avios per person to compensate so a total of 12,500

I did ask customer service given the context whether I could be issued a new GGL joker and an extension of the companion voucher.

I got this answer.

Dear TheHak

I am satisfied your complaint has been handled and responded to correctly. The gestures of goodwill we have offered are fair and we will not be adding to them. The issues you have raised have been fully addressed, we now consider the matter closed and we will not respond to any further correspondence regarding these issues. If you have any separate issues you would like us to look into for you, please do not hesitate to contact us.

I appreciate that this is not the reply you were hoping for, and I am sorry to disappoint you. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to review your complaint. We do value our Gold Executive Club members very highly, and I hope that we will be able to welcome you on board again in the future.

Best regards



Good bye BA.
Is there any way you could use your travel insurance to claim back money lost on the early bird reservation at the hotel?
jp-mco is offline  
Old Jan 6, 15, 7:52 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Wedged somewhere between BTS and VIE ✈
Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold)
Posts: 6,017
Originally Posted by Tafflyer View Post
I think we need more background here to form any opinion. I got 3K Avios for complaining about missing scones in CE afternoon tea, so 2.5K as goodwill implies BA don't think they have anything to compensate.
Those were some expensive scones!
headingwest is offline  
Old Jan 6, 15, 7:53 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: near Heathrow
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 2,152
OP has a number of posts in this thread, starting at post 30:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...nter-only.html

Would probably have been better to continue in that thread.
At least we would have the background as the saga is played out.
gcuk is offline  
Old Jan 6, 15, 8:12 am
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: London
Programs: BA NON flyer, LH Frequent Traveller, V/A Gold, HGP Diamond, HHonnors Diamond, GHA Black
Posts: 568
The 12500 are offered as compensation for the loss of the companion voucher and the ggl redemption
TheHak is offline  
Old Jan 6, 15, 8:18 am
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: London
Programs: BA NON flyer, LH Frequent Traveller, V/A Gold, HGP Diamond, HHonnors Diamond, GHA Black
Posts: 568
Originally Posted by worjackie14 View Post
That's a final comeback letter, something issued after a lot of communication where the conversation isn't really getting anywhere. There's more to this here.

*******views are mine and do not represent British Airways************
All prior communications were about rerouting. I had discussed what would happen to my vouchers should i cancel but always got the same answer which was please cancel first and we will work on the vouchers after.

I cancelled and then asked about the vouchers. This is what i got.

Im more than happy to share initial emails and my exec no if you doubt this
TheHak is offline  
Old Jan 6, 15, 8:27 am
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Berlin, SW Florida, and Toronto
Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Posts: 29,122
Pretty poor showing by BA in that case.
LondonElite is offline  
Old Jan 6, 15, 8:29 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Wedged somewhere between BTS and VIE ✈
Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold)
Posts: 6,017
Quite frankly I'd be pretty pi**ed off too in this situation. BA cancelled the flights and then the OP losses the companion vouchers and the GGL Jokers. What would really make me wild would be losing the money for the hotel booking. I know that airlines don't pay for consequential losses but that is ridiculous. Somebody books a flight and a hotel separately and then they lose money when the flights are cancelled...that's just not on.

I had the same thing on a recent trip to Milan, hotel booked at MXP airport for the return and then NIKI moves the flight to LIN. First of all they told me they wouldn't reimburse the hotel costs but eventually they backed down...and so they bloody well should!
headingwest is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: