Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Promo: Take 2 for £2014 in CW, Out 21 Dec-3 Jan, Rtn by 11 Jan '15

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Promo: Take 2 for £2014 in CW, Out 21 Dec-3 Jan, Rtn by 11 Jan '15

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2014, 2:06 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MrSimonR
Good point.
I have my moments
Old Dec 1, 2014, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by MrSimonR
Hold for 24 hours is free on aa.com, even where in includes BA operated flights.
The US and UK sites says:

Heads up!

Reservations containing one or more flights on airlines other than American Airlines and American Eagle must be purchased at time of booking.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by PaulN
Erm... have I let myself in for something bad by going on US ? The only AA flights I could see via PHX were code shares on American anyway
US Airways flights are at the lower end of the spectrum. Ok for short flights and on their newer planes. Unfortunately, they provide poor or no IFE, no in flight power and poor food/service. Some also complain that their First class seats are very uncomfortable and have economy levels of space. So the worst flights with US Airways are long flights I.e over 2000 miles and on their older aircraft like the 757. PHX to HNL and back is on a 757, is a flight of over 6 hours and your return flight is overnight.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 2:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold, QF NB
Originally Posted by PaulN
Erm... have I let myself in for something bad by going on US ? The only AA flights I could see via PHX were code shares on American anyway.
The F seats on the US 757s that they use on Hawaii routes aren't the most comfortable - it was definitely one of the most uncomfortable flights I've had.

I routed via PHX both ways back in August for the extra 140 TPs - this time the TPs aren't as important so I decided to route via LAX - partly because I'm a massive avgeek so get to transit through a different airport but mostly for the extra comfort on the A321T.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter

Heads up!

Reservations containing one or more flights on airlines other than American Airlines and American Eagle must be purchased at time of booking.
Aha, many thanks for posting this ^

When someone mentioned the other day holding for free on aa.com I was sure you would not be able to do it for most of these bookings if involving BA flight but I couldn't find where it said that before. I had seen the hold option on aa only itineraries before on aa.com, but never on exEUs as I usually include BA TATLs.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 2:42 pm

Programs: bmi ba virgin
Hi All,
I'm attempting to book my first TP run, as a result of seeing all these other posts! My understanding is its easiest to book on AA.com
I have found the following routing:
3/1 18:00 LHR to JFK on BA
4/1 06:00 JFK to LAX on AA
4/1 10:30 LAX to HNL on AA in First
6/1 22:04 HNL to LAX on AA in First
7/1 06:00 LAX to JFK on AA
7/1 19:20 JFK to LHR on BA
I think this will earn 980 tier points and cost £1002 (its on hold for 24hrs)
Following previous posts i have avoided the US 757. Is this considered a good deal for a tier point run, and a sensible routing please, although obviously considering that the best fares / routes may of gone! Have i missed anything?
Thanks
Old Dec 1, 2014, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by aporwol
Hi All,
I'm attempting to book my first TP run, as a result of seeing all these other posts! My understanding is its easiest to book on AA.com
I have found the following routing:
3/1 18:00 LHR to JFK on BA
4/1 06:00 JFK to LAX on AA
4/1 10:30 LAX to HNL on AA in First
6/1 22:04 HNL to LAX on AA in First
7/1 06:00 LAX to JFK on AA
7/1 19:20 JFK to LHR on BA
I think this will earn 980 tier points and cost £1002 (its on hold for 24hrs)
Following previous posts i have avoided the US 757. Is this considered a good deal for a tier point run, and a sensible routing please, although obviously considering that the best fares / routes may of gone! Have i missed anything?
Thanks
140+140+210+210+140+140=980 TP so your maths is correct. Frankly for an exUK anything under £2/TP is often thought of as good, so to be around £1/TP is excellent.

You can book on aa.com or call BA and book over the phone. Advantage of teh latter is 3xavios when using a BAPP and ability to UuA BA flights if you want and there is F reward availability.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 2:51 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by scillyisles
US Airways flights are at the lower end of the spectrum. Ok for short flights and on their newer planes. Unfortunately, they provide poor or no IFE, no in flight power and poor food/service. Some also complain that their First class seats are very uncomfortable and have economy levels of space. So the worst flights with US Airways are long flights I.e over 2000 miles and on their older aircraft like the 757. PHX to HNL and back is on a 757, is a flight of over 6 hours and your return flight is overnight.
Oh nuts! I couldn't get the flights via LAX to work for me and only biz class showed up for this leg so I'm stuck with US. Looks like I had better bring my inflatable pillow and save up for a very nice meal at the beach in HNL.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 6:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Sisyphus1carus
Looking at a KOA / HNL trip and am seeing LHR-EWR (on 777) & EWR-LHR (on 787) segments on AA coming up at a good price in I, earning 140 TP & 4323Avios each way.

By forcing the outbound 777 (3-class) to code onto the BA number (as is BA metal) it pushes the price up by £100 and increases Avios (not TP) to 5018 or something similar.

I'm not bothered about the Avios but would it make upgrading from I to First class using Avios easier / more likely ? Or does it have no impact at all ?

Cheers.

(on a separate note, having never been to Hawaii before which would people recommend; HNL or KOA ? - Definitely want to do a little diving whilst there, especially with Mantas).
I went a week or so ago, flew into HNL for 2 nights on AA, then a cheapo HI flight to KOA for one more night (& a long day)

Hung out in Waikiki, did a surfing lesson & hiked up Diamondhead, drinks & food at Dukes and Tikis.

On the Big Island I did a night snorkel trip with mantas at Keauhou Bay, just south of Kailua, organised on arrival. Then the next morning drove over the Saddle Road to the Volcano Nat.Park. Awesome

FYI - KOA departure "hall" is outdoors. There's a fairly crappy cafe for a beer. No OW lounge. Not a fun place to spend much time
Old Dec 2, 2014, 2:43 am

Booked LHR-DFW-JAC, new years on the slopes for £1006.

Great deal!
Old Dec 2, 2014, 3:07 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hilton Gold, Alitalia STE+
Originally Posted by danpwc
Booked LHR-DFW-JAC, new years on the slopes for £1006.

Great deal!
Nicely done. If you haven't flown into JAC before, it has one of the best approaches in the world. Spectacular scenery over the Tetons. Ensure you get a window seat for that DFW-JAC flight!
Old Dec 2, 2014, 3:26 am

I would go to either KOA or OGG over HNL. Diving is pretty good anywhere on the islands.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 3:44 am

Originally Posted by bowlingformatt
Nicely done. If you haven't flown into JAC before, it has one of the best approaches in the world. Spectacular scenery over the Tetons. Ensure you get a window seat for that DFW-JAC flight!
Never been before so that's good to know thanks! I'm off to select some seats...
Old Dec 2, 2014, 3:53 am

Programs: GGLfL
Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter

Heads up!

It may say that, but it still allows you to hold (possibly as long as the flight numbers are AA coded).

I priced up LHR-LAX // LAS-PHX-LHR:
£3.5k on BA.com (as no I class on my dates)
£1002 on aa.com (as I class on the AA coded BA operated flights).

So I had an AA itinerary, with 2 x BA operated and 1 x US operated flight, and I had the option (and used) the HOLD for 24 hours (actually to midnight the following day, so 36 hours).

HOLD allowed me to select seats on ba.com

Confirmed and paid the following day, where the fare on aa.com was up to £3k, if I hadn't used the HOLD
Old Dec 2, 2014, 4:28 am

Programs: bmi ba virgin
I've just paid for a AA held reservation too. When i looked this morning the fare had gone up, so i booked what was being held which included 2 x BA flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.