FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
The older Rockwell Collins IFE system.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 7:20 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by irishflyer07
That is good to hear. Is the IFE the same on that 12F configuration compared to the 14F? (e.g., personal TV screen size, etc).

Thanks for the quick responses!
Yes, although with the older Rockwell Collins IFE.

http://www.thebasource.com/seatmaps/...8j32y127y.html
Old Nov 19, 2015, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by nux
Yes, although with the older Rockwell Collins IFE.

http://www.thebasource.com/seatmaps/...8j32y127y.html
Thanks again. How significant is the difference between the old and new IFE? (Rockwell Collins vs the newer one).
Old Nov 19, 2015, 7:24 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
That is good to hear. Is the IFE the same on that 12F configuration compared to the 14F? (e.g., personal TV screen size, etc).

Thanks for the quick responses!
According to thebasource.com the 12F aircraft have the Rockwell Collins IFE. This is older than the Thales system and has less content and from memory lower resolution. Also, the controls aren't as great (e.g. for pausing). Screen size is the same though.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 7:32 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks again. How significant is the difference between the old and new IFE? (Rockwell Collins vs the newer one).
Its not as good, but it is still on demand IFE. Unless you're planning to change flights because of it I wouldn't worry.

Originally Posted by golfmad
According to thebasource.com the 12F aircraft have the Rockwell Collins IFE. This is older than the Thales system and has less content and from memory lower resolution. Also, the controls aren't as great (e.g. for pausing). Screen size is the same though.
The Rockwell Collins screen is 12" whereas Thales is 15", and is a lower resolution.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by nux
The Rockwell Collins screen is 12" whereas Thales is 15"
Yes of course it is.

I like to interact with the cabin crew during the dinner service so if watching a movie I like to pause it. On the Rockwell Collins system the easiest way is to touch the screen and press pause. It can be done using the remote but it's a bit fiddly. With the Thales system there's a pause button on the remote which is really handy.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 7:44 am

Yes of course it is.

I like to interact with the cabin crew during the dinner service so if watching a movie I like to pause it. On the Rockwell Collins system the easiest way is to touch the screen and press pause. It can be done using the remote but it's a bit fiddly. With the Thales system there's a pause button on the remote which is really handy.
Thanks for all the responses. We don't travel much, and so we like to go all out when we do in terms of as good of a product as we can get. All things considered, you all do not think it would be worth paying award ticket change fees and changing itinerary to get the newer IFE? The only other flight we would be able to take would be the 747 F from DFW-LHR, as opposed to the 777 12F IAH-LHR we have now. Thoughts?

I really appreciate all the feedback. Thank you all.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 7:52 am

Thanks for all the responses. We don't travel much, and so we like to go all out when we do in terms of as good of a product as we can get. All things considered, you all do not think it would be worth paying award ticket change fees and changing itinerary to get the newer IFE? The only other flight we would be able to take would be the 747 F from DFW-LHR, as opposed to the 777 12F IAH-LHR we have now. Thoughts?

Personally, I wouldn't change flights for the IFE. I think I'm right in saying that all 747s apart from the newly fitted super jumbos have the Rockwell Collins system. The 86J 747s have the Panasonic system which I've had the pleasure in using and it is a big step up in terms of functionality.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 7:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
To address the earlier question of Row 1 or 2 on the A380 in F:

2A and K are generally regarded as the best F seats on the A380... I agree with that assessment and would take 2K if I was in your position. I flew the A380 F just two weeks ago and as it was my first BA F A380 flight made a point to "answer" this row 1 or row 2 question for myself. After a good look, I was glad to be in 2A (and would have been equally pleased with 2K).
Old Nov 19, 2015, 8:01 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
Originally Posted by geo1005
2A and K are generally regarded as the best F seats on the A380... I agree with that assessment and would take 2K if I was in your position. I flew the A380 F just two weeks ago and as it was my first BA F A380 flight made a point to "answer" this row 1 or row 2 question for myself. After a good look, I was glad to be in 2A (and would have been equally pleased with 2K).
My only F on an A380 was 1A out and 1K back. I really liked these seats, very private. There is a cupboard beside the first row but on both sectors the cabin crew got everything out before I went to sleep. I have chosen 1A for my next A380 flight.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 8:23 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The vast majority of 744's also have the same Rockwell-Collins IFE.

Is the IFE really a major consideration for an overnight flight in F? Enjoy a good meal together, get some sleep then breakfast.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA
Personally, I wouldn't change flights for the IFE. I think I'm right in saying that all 747s apart from the newly fitted super jumbos have the Rockwell Collins system. The 86J 747s have the Panasonic system which I've had the pleasure in using and it is a big step up in terms of functionality.
Totally agree. We had an 86J one way and the Panasonic system not only functioned better, the selection was noticeably larger.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by nux
The vast majority of 744's also have the same Rockwell-Collins IFE.

Is the IFE really a major consideration for an overnight flight in F? Enjoy a good meal together, get some sleep then breakfast.
Thanks! That's what I wanted to hear. Really appreciate all your responses.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Apologies if I may have missed it somewhere but was wondering if there has been a change in policy around allocation of 1A and 1K to non-Gold members in advance of the flight? I've had two instances now, one on a flight to ORD and another on a flight from DXB where the seats have not been blocked and I've been able to select them for non-status members many months prior to departure. The seatmaps on ExpertFlyer would seem to confirm this phenomenon as these routes no longer show the X symbol on 1A / 1K as they used to. Thanks for the help to anyone who may have further insight!
Old Dec 12, 2015, 10:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK Gold, HHonors Silver
I am travelling to Mumbai in first soon and the seat I have been assigned is 02K. I believe the aircraft is a 747-400 v2. I am travelling solo. Would you recommend any other seat? Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.