FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   T5 baggage system failure - 26 and 28 June 2014 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1588720-t5-baggage-system-failure-26-28-june-2014-a.html)

chris1979 Jun 28, 2014 9:24 am

Originally Posted by nobbyclark (Post 23110364)
Is this affecting bags in transit too? I flew ATL-LHR-EDI yesterday and all was good - the bag made it on the same planes as me. However, I am doing EDI-LHR-PHX on Tuesday and will not check in my bag if it's still a lottery.

Not sure. However, the reports on here in general seem to suggest that the problem is with some of the belts from check-in (with sometimes the F check-in belts working) which could suggest that connecting bags might be ok.

However, that's purely a guess from the "F checkin belts are working whilst others aren't" comments on here. If you need your bag and can go HBO and there are reports of this continuing / happening again, I'd probably avoid checking in bags.

Zaynab Jun 28, 2014 10:12 am

I may be cross posting (mods, merge T5 luggage threads?). My bag went missing Monday (T3-T5 transfer), and it has been missing ever since. I am afraid it is at the bottom of the pile of 10,000 bags at T5 and will not come back until the luggage problem there has been solved. While this is an n of 1, the situation suggests that transfer bags that somehow miss their connecting flight may end up in the lost bags pile too.

milehighj Jun 28, 2014 10:39 am

As OP, I was rather hoping this would be fully resolved by the time I take my next ex-LHR flight.

FYG, baggage was delivered for my inbound GVA-LHR flight today, but after an interminable wait at the belt.

I now have LHR-SIN tomorrow and fear we're still not fully done with this mess...

corporate-wage-slave Jun 28, 2014 10:45 am

Welcome to Flyertalk kwierenga

Originally Posted by kwierenga (Post 23109228)
we are missing 5 pieces of luggage since friday 26/6. the ba website to find info on lost luggage is a joke, and the phone is always busy. we have no idea when to expect the luggage.

Welcome to Flyertalk kwierenga, and welcome to the BA board. As you will see here, you are not alone, but that is probably no consolation. I also suspect that unfortunately pushing for your bags at this point is going to be a waste of time, there will be thousands of other passengers doing exactly the same. If you are away from home then you can claim for essential items (toiletries, clothing, laundry, power chargers, phone calls) until you get your bags back. Very few bags go completely missing, so it's just a matter of time.

If you have filed the claim, and it has your current telephone number and location, that may be the best you can do. It may be best just to get on with your life until BA takes down the "sorry" note from the front page, if only to keep away from the stress that this must be causing. When BA take down that banner the telephone lines will probably be better equipped to help.

Good luck, and please keep posting here.

David1963 Jun 28, 2014 10:48 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 23110566)
It must be tempting to look to another route / airline to try and head off the problem. However that's fraught with issues, since - depending on the airline - between 40% and 50% of baggage delays are caused my misconnects at transit airports.

I recognise that "stuff happens" sometimes, but I think where I am coming from with my comments on "having faith" in the system is that the fixes don't seem to work (or be working). In other words, having repeat system failures of (what I understand) the same sort of thing points to something other than the "bad luck" one might attribute to (say) misconnects.

Rightly, or wrongly, I've less faith in the systems at T5 right now than with some of my options.

I mainly travel British Airways MAN-LHR-(various), so I am transiting at T5. My options for my US routes include, just with Oneworld, the AA and US Airways routes into New York, Chicago, Philly etc.

Having said that, I would be £1,000's down if I cancelled the flights. Form a business point of view (mine) it's really more than frustrating. It's threatening my business now

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 23110566)
I am glad it's not just clothes that stops you going hand luggage, that definitely can be managed!

Ah, well.. But surely it's a little bit expensive for British Airways to be buying me new trousers, shirts, smalls and socks every few weeks... :D

My "usual" baggage reqs for a week's work assignment would require me to take 2 or 3 hold bags of between 20 and 25kg each, plus my two carry on allowance filled to capacity....

David1963 Jun 28, 2014 10:54 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 23110938)
If you have filed the claim, and it has your current telephone number and location, that may be the best you can do. It may be best just to get on with your life until BA takes down the "sorry" note from the front page, if only to keep away from the stress that this must be causing. When BA take down that banner the telephone lines will probably be better equipped to help.

This is pretty much the attitude I have adopted. The only problem I am having is that I cannot change the date at which I am at a temporary location until. I can try and change it but when I submit the change, the system seems to revert it to the originally intended date, so this makes it difficult to keep things up to date as I am moving about.

David1963 Jun 28, 2014 11:45 am

Question about arriving bags during current disruptions...

What's the situation regarding arriving bags during the present disruptions. Are they getting delivered to the belts OK, or are they being affected also..?

I'm asking because I am missing bags from the other day and so have bought some new clothes whilst I am away. I am coming back soon and I am wondering whether to check my new clothing or to leave it here with friends..?

Calchas Jun 28, 2014 11:50 am

Originally Posted by David1963 (Post 23110956)
My "usual" baggage reqs for a week's work assignment would require me to take 2 or 3 hold bags of between 20 and 25kg each, plus my two carry on allowance filled to capacity....

Any chance you can Fedex the essentials in advance?

LTN Phobia Jun 28, 2014 11:54 am

As there are a few threads on the LHR T5 baggage system failure issue, they have been merged to keep the discussion in one place.

LTN Phobia
Moderator: BA forum

Physci Jun 28, 2014 12:29 pm

Seems the baggage issue disease is spreading ...

https://twitter.com/gatwick_airport/...51604577251329

FlyingScientist Jun 28, 2014 2:58 pm

Please let LCY be vaccinated... ;)

Sigwx Jun 28, 2014 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by David1963 (Post 23111201)
What's the situation regarding arriving bags during the present disruptions. Are they getting delivered to the belts OK, or are they being affected also..?

I'm asking because I am missing bags from the other day and so have bought some new clothes whilst I am away. I am coming back soon and I am wondering whether to check my new clothing or to leave it here with friends..?

Inbound baggage is being delivered to belts. Extra man power has been sourced to ensure outbound and 'short shipped' bags are sorted ASAP.

kb8230 Jun 28, 2014 4:32 pm

My wife and I flew out to MIA in F on Thursday. Our golf clubs in their golf covers arrived after 36 hours, but still no sign of our suitcases. I enquired with BA at MIA why they could not have applied a bit of common sense and send out suitcases first, in order that we could at least get our clothing. She replied that the handling staff at Heathrow would have been unable to know the difference between a suitcase with clothes etc, and a golf carrier containing golf clubs!! One is approx. 5 feet long and 18 inches wide....... The wait for our clothes goes on. Contacted our travel insurance and they have agreed a generous spend to replace essential items, including shorts, swimwear, sandals, toiletries etc, but requested I did not go over the top, which I think is very fair of them.

Jet Ranger Jun 28, 2014 5:23 pm

Our friends were also in to MIA Thursday and still have not got any of their bags back.
They are buying a new outfit every day to try to keep their vacation moving forward.
They went to the BA counters at MIA yesterday to try and get info as phones are no longer being answered by BA (her words to me).
She said it was horrible in the terminal. There were tons of hysterical people there heading out on cruises that day, with no luggage, and lots of shouting and screaming. They just left, and thought sod it. We'll buy essentials and if BA don't pay out, that's a fight for another day but we're not letting it spoil our vacation.

stimpy Jun 28, 2014 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy (Post 23110400)
Thanks I got it to work now and I am stunned at what I see. The BA staff clearly knew that we wanted the bags delivered to our Brazil address as we had lots of communication about this including email. But now on this site I see that the "special instructions" say to deliver the bags back to Europe!! ... BA?

At least it says that the bags have not been traced yet so I guess I have time to correct the faulty instructions I see on this site. But I now have zero confidence in BA's ability to pay attention to detail. Which is kind of what you want in an airline.

Oh wait. Now it says I cannot make an illegal edit to say I do not want our bags sent back to Europe! Again ... BA? Now I guess I need to make a very expensive and long telephone call to BA. :(

It turns out the website for checking your bag status is completely unaware of the real status of your bags. We got an email this evening that our bags were put on a flight to SSA that arrived at 12:55. This was about 30 hours after they should have arrived, but at least they made it. However the Brazil WC match started at 13:00 so we didn't hear from til after the match. ;)

But the weird thing was that whomever called (I guess it was TAM), said that BA doesn't have a contract to actually deliver the bags to an address in town! This despite many promises from BA that our bags would arrive at our apartment here. So we had to drive a half hour to the airport, missing the Uruguay-Columbia match (and that great James Rodriguez goal), pay for parking, grab the bags, then drive back. And what did we find when we cut off the plastic wrapping on our "Fragile" tagged bags? Lots of crushed items. That's what we found. :(

So very disappointed by this whole episode. :td: