FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   T5 baggage system failure - 26 and 28 June 2014 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1588720-t5-baggage-system-failure-26-28-june-2014-a.html)

corporate-wage-slave Jun 27, 2014 8:42 am

Originally Posted by emrom (Post 23104923)
Arrived in LAX last night minus bags.
Supposed to be going hiking in Yosemite - will BA reimburse me for walking shoes and camera charger (as well as usual clothing/toiletry items) ?
Will they be able to get my bags to me before we fly to HNL on Tuesday? We are touring and will be in 3 hotels in next 4 days before flying from SFO

Yes, if you are going hiking you need to wear shoes suitable for that. The camera charger certainly is OK. I would suggest you call your insurance company just to be certain, but they will be billing BA anyway. Given the logistics, I'd be doubtful that they will make HNL for Tuesday but it may be shortily thereafter.

LondonAndy Jun 27, 2014 10:09 am

Originally Posted by springsdxb (Post 23104743)
How on earth would it know that it is in an airplane hold and "goes into airplane mode"?
Sounds like a good system but I doesn't tell you where in a massive airport the bag is. I would imagine for the staff it would be like finding the proverbial 'needle in a hay stack'. Seems like a good idea for anything other than mass chaos. :D

I think that the advantage is that it tells you which airport it is in, rather than exactly where it is. Therefore you'll know whether it made it on the plane or not and, when it does eventually catch up with you, you'll get a text to say that it has just arrived at your destination airport (if the batteries hold out!).

AZ Travels the World Jun 27, 2014 10:47 am

Originally Posted by LondonAndy (Post 23105754)
(if the batteries hold out!).

That's the biggest question in my mind. In situations like this with BA, you need the device to stay live for days -- sometimes a week or more. I wonder if the batteries last that long. The issue is not addressed on their website, even in the detailed FAQ. So that makes me nervous.

SFore Jun 27, 2014 10:49 am

6/26/14 LHR-SEA Luggage

Seems there was some major luggage mishap yesterday as my father was flying LHR-SEA and upon arrival they were told only 20 pieces of luggage that made the journey! How is this even possible? At least BA could have acknowledged this before departure. The fact that over 90% of passengers didn't get their luggage is very strange!

nux Jun 27, 2014 10:56 am

There was a baggage system failure at LHR, there is a thread a few below this one about it.

KARFA Jun 27, 2014 11:09 am

Yep, here is the thread all about it. That flight was not the only one affected, and only a few bags being loaded sounds in line with most other flights. Not a BA failure, but seems to be a HAL failure, not that this is much comfort to your dad.

If BA did make an announcement on the flight, i.e. the point when they might know exactly how many bags weren't loaded, it might have been nice but not sure what difference it would have made. I am suprised nothing was said at check-in though - weren't others reporting lots of piles of bags in the check-in hall? Did your dad see that?

zkzkz Jun 27, 2014 11:55 am

Originally Posted by Yahillwe (Post 23104768)
Oh I hear you, am the same way. A very very kind and gentle poster did a spreadsheet for me, and even with that I can't manage hand luggage even for an over night trip.

Am the female kind :D

What do you even need hand luggage for an overnight trip for? Stick a pair of underwear in your pocket and you're set.

paulwuk Jun 27, 2014 11:59 am

Originally Posted by zkzkz (Post 23106319)
What do you even need hand luggage for an overnight trip for? Stick a pair of underwear in your pocket and you're set.

Turn them inside out, or back to front. That's 4 days!

HilFly Jun 27, 2014 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by paulwuk (Post 23106350)

Originally Posted by zkzkz (Post 23106319)

I hope I never have to sit anywhere near your two on your return flights! :eek::D:D:D (Anybody know where to find the peg-on-the-nose emoticon? ;)

V10 Jun 27, 2014 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by paulwuk (Post 23106350)

Modesty prevents me from suggesting a potential means of extending to a 5th day. :D

doesntmatter Jun 27, 2014 2:32 pm

LHR baggage woes continue for second day (June 27)

I flew BLR>LHR>CDG today. On arrival in CDG only about a third of people got their bags. The rest of us had to file lost bags claims. The kind lady at the lost bags desk mentioned that the majority of the BA baggage from LHR to CDG has not arrived today.

I guess I'll learn about my VISA signature lost baggage coverage.

origin Jun 27, 2014 2:42 pm

Sometimes a change of clothes can help relax a person. So an extra pair of socks new shirt can be nice and not too difficult.

Also a nice warm shower can help as well, not always something hotels can handle.

I suspect that are many people who would agree, especially the people without bags tonight.

doesntmatter Jun 27, 2014 2:59 pm

A couple people mentioned delayed baggage compensation from BA or credit card co. I called my credit card company and found out my card is just a regular visa signature that does not have delayed baggage coverage. It does have lost baggage coverage though.

If I buy a shirt and a pair of underwear tomorrow, do i stand any chance of getting anything out of BA?

After the long travel day my clothes are pretty dirty...

exilencfc Jun 27, 2014 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by V10 (Post 23106673)
Modesty prevents me from suggesting a potential means of extending to a 5th day. :D

Got something to be modest about then? :D

V10 Jun 27, 2014 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by exilencfc (Post 23107427)
Got something to be modest about then? :D

Overt bragging isn't a desirable trait ;)