FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   T5 baggage system failure - 26 and 28 June 2014 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1588720-t5-baggage-system-failure-26-28-june-2014-a.html)

Nimrod1965 Jun 27, 2014 3:35 am

Originally Posted by chris1979 (Post 23101395)
I can't go away for 1 night on hand luggage only and am of the male species.

I have been getting packing counseling from the very best on here though so might have to revisit said advice before my flight on Saturday.

:eek: What? I find this hard to believe. I can pack for a week into hand baggage which includes toiletries, 7 Shirts, 9 pairs underpants and 9 pairs socks. Military Training might be a factor here.

exilencfc Jun 27, 2014 3:44 am

Originally Posted by Nimrod1965 (Post 23104301)
:eek: What? I find this hard to believe. I can pack for a week into hand baggage which includes toiletries, 7 Shirts, 9 pairs underpants and 9 pairs socks. Military Training might be a factor here.

Now that is impressive. For a week long trip I normally pack 3 days worth of socks and undies and wash them in a sink. I have HBO'd for 10 day trip before now which is pretty good for a woman. And i'm single right now :D

Nimrod1965 Jun 27, 2014 3:59 am

Deleted

stimpy Jun 27, 2014 5:05 am

Family members arrived at GRU yesterday with only 1 out of 4 checked bags. No news today. This was following a nightmare at LHR when thousands of people missed their connections due to the French ATC strike. Everyone arriving late found no hotel rooms available and had to sleep at the airport and wait about 20 hours til the next flight. This despite a promise from BA that they had reserved a room. And the poor people who arrived late at T1 found zero BA personnel present to help them. I could go on, but what an incredible failure by BA. :td:

ACARS Jun 27, 2014 5:13 am

Originally Posted by stimpy (Post 23104466)
Family members arrived at GRU yesterday with only 1 out of 4 checked bags. No news today. This was following a nightmare at LHR when thousands of people missed their connections due to the French ATC strike. Everyone arriving late found no hotel rooms available and had to sleep at the airport and wait about 20 hours til the next flight. This despite a promise from BA that they had reserved a room. And the poor people who arrived late at T1 found zero BA personnel present to help them. I could go on, but what an incredible failure by BA. :td:

I am by no means a BA apologist but all airlines that fly through central/western Europe were affected. Thousands of airline passengers missed connections. Only a certain number of hotel rooms are available in any location or surrounds, once they are gone they are gone. All the airlines would have been fighting for them, any rooms left would have been sold at extortionate rates to joe public or an airline. Yes they should not have made a promise due to that very reason. Yes there should have been some sort of staff presence.
As for the baggage situation I would direct your complaint to Heathrow Airport. They are the ones responsible for the baggage system. BA are just an end user, as are the passengers with missing bags.

LondonAndy Jun 27, 2014 5:44 am

Maybe something like Trakdot would help in situations like these - you will know whether your luggage arrived or not and, if not, you can at least find out where in the world it is over the next few days?

paulwuk Jun 27, 2014 5:49 am

I only wear shirts at weddings and funerals, however I have recently bought a "proper wimp-bag" to store all my laptops, as my old rucksack finally gave up the ghost.

chris1979 Jun 27, 2014 5:50 am

Originally Posted by Nimrod1965 (Post 23104301)

I have done it and am able to do it. Just not 'willing' I guess.

Used to do it pre liquid restrictions. And my 10 flights in 52 hours earlier in the year, obviously only did hand-luggage.

As said, just find it annoying to run out of small deo things etc and hate buying loads of them. And carrying everything with me and unpacking at security, re-packing after, then having faff on plane with space issues etc.

I rarely have to wait more than a few minutes for the bags at the other end and I always think that's 'worth' it - i.e. I don't value saving those few mins over the hassle of packing efficiently, running out of things and having to carry it everywhere.

most of the time, my bag also includes a gym bag which takes up 90% of space and again, I dont want to carry my trainers etc through lounge and on plane with me.

springsdxb Jun 27, 2014 6:37 am

Originally Posted by LondonAndy (Post 23104553)
Maybe something like Trakdot would help in situations like these - you will know whether your luggage arrived or not and, if not, you can at least find out where in the world it is over the next few days?

How on earth would it know that it is in an airplane hold and "goes into airplane mode"?
Sounds like a good system but I doesn't tell you where in a massive airport the bag is. I would imagine for the staff it would be like finding the proverbial 'needle in a hay stack'. Seems like a good idea for anything other than mass chaos. :D

Yahillwe Jun 27, 2014 6:43 am

Originally Posted by chris1979 (Post 23101395)

I have been getting packing counseling from the very best on here though so might have to revisit said advice before my flight on Saturday.

Oh I hear you, am the same way. A very very kind and gentle poster did a spreadsheet for me, and even with that I can't manage hand luggage even for an over night trip.

Am the female kind :D

exilencfc Jun 27, 2014 7:10 am

Originally Posted by Yahillwe (Post 23104768)
Oh I hear you, am the same way. A very very kind and gentle poster did a spreadsheet for me, and even with that I can't manage hand luggage even for an over night trip.

Am the female kind :D

That's ok, you are extra girly when it comes to packing and I am totally ungirly so it evens out nicely :D

I completely understand your objection Chris (especially after having my bag taken apart and my adaptor broken by T1 security)

emrom Jun 27, 2014 7:23 am

Arrived in LAX last night minus bags.
Supposed to be going hiking in Yosemite - will BA reimburse me for walking shoes and camera charger (as well as usual clothing/toiletry items) ?
Will they be able to get my bags to me before we fly to HNL on Tuesday? We are touring and will be in 3 hotels in next 4 days before flying from SFO

moonman85 Jun 27, 2014 7:47 am

allegedly one of our bags should be delivered today, although they said by 4pm and so have 20 minutes left. Who knows what has happened to the second bag.

I have bought a few toiletries which hopefully either BA or travel insurance will cover.

chris1979 Jun 27, 2014 8:03 am

Originally Posted by Yahillwe (Post 23104768)
Quote:

Originally Posted by chris1979

Am the female kind

Oh. A spreadsheet? Maybe I haven't been getting advise from the best on here?! ;)

My packing involves: open lid, throw in, close lid. And hand to BA. I've given up hurry and indecision. Hence don't need my bag with me those 5-10 mins earlier than checked bags.

Yes, when they misplace bags, it's annoying. But that's happened once on 57 flights this year and don't think it's happened last year at all.

Jet Ranger Jun 27, 2014 8:04 am

Friends arrived from MIA last night and haven't got any of their 4 bags. Still no news of where there bags are this morning. Kind of sucks on a 7 day vacation. BA have said they can go out buy "essentials", but didn't define an amount.
I just spoke with a BA employee who I know in MIA and she said 200 bags missed the flight.