FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   T5 baggage system failure - 26 and 28 June 2014 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1588720-t5-baggage-system-failure-26-28-june-2014-a.html)

stimpy Jun 27, 2014 4:11 pm

We got a message this morning from the GRU staff saying essentially "sorry, your bags still haven't left London. Maybe they will make it on tonight's flight.

corporate-wage-slave Jun 27, 2014 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by doesntmatter (Post 23107420)
A couple people mentioned delayed baggage compensation from BA or credit card co. I called my credit card company and found out my card is just a regular visa signature that does not have delayed baggage coverage. It does have lost baggage coverage though.

If I buy a shirt and a pair of underwear tomorrow, do i stand any chance of getting anything out of BA?

After the long travel day my clothes are pretty dirty...

Well you did the right thing: say you did have cover from VIsa they may have said "fine, bung it on the card, sign this form and we will whack it to BA". Checking with insurers first can make life a lot easier, but you are still entitled to claim for essentials from BA regardless, insurance can make life easier.

"Essentials" is not defined, but in the modern era wearing clean clothes is generally considered essential. So either buy some clothes to keep you going, nothing too expensive, and/or use laundry services to buy time until your bags do get to you. Keeping your phone charged I'd say is essential, if you are going to a business meeting then formal wear may be required. Maybe not, you can ask your hosts to ignore your appearance and just laugh it off. Getting a full wardrobe clearly isn't essential. And it's ok to buy more if the delay continues. Keep the receipts, a contemporary note as to why something strange was essential and photo item and receipt just in case you lose it on the return!

I would suggest you consider whether you have the appropriate level of insurance, maybe you have, but there's no harm thinking it through again.

AZ Travels the World Jun 27, 2014 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World (Post 23105945)
That's the biggest question in my mind. In situations like this with BA, you need the device to stay live for days -- sometimes a week or more. I wonder if the batteries last that long. The issue is not addressed on their website, even in the detailed FAQ. So that makes me nervous.

I sent an email to Trakdot and got a reply within a couple hours. CSR said their internal studies, with a fresh pair of Duracell AA batteries -- 200-240 hours.

So 10 days on the outside. That should be enough -- it could get tight for BA, but for other airlines it should be plenty sufficient. :D

Edited to add: Users tell a very different story of this product. A good friend suggested I have a read of the Amazon reviews. They're pretty bad. :(

bafan Jun 27, 2014 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 23102431)
I would have thought that is all legit. I would however not aim for high end brands, just to prevent challenge. Just keep the receipts (and photo receipts and products with your 'phone just in case they go AWOL!). If you have travel insurance you may want to check for their advice (e.g. whether they will authorise it on the spot, or invite you to go via BA and revert back to them if they challenge. They will ping BA in due course if they pick up the tab).

I only wear 'high end brand' underwear and socks, so I would buy replacements of the same quality and claim accordingly...

Calchas Jun 27, 2014 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by bafan (Post 23108189)
I only wear 'high end brand' underwear and socks

You wear nothing else at all? I am surprised you needed to check a bag.

:D

HilFly Jun 27, 2014 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by Calchas (Post 23108343)
You wear nothing else at all? I am surprised you needed to check a bag.

:D

:D:D:D

klymen Jun 27, 2014 9:43 pm

Apparently two of our three bags are on their way to MEL and will arrive tonight/tomorrow. Third is still missing in action and "hopefully might be with the others" according to baggage services at SYD & MEL. Here's hoping...

The other checked item - an infant car seat - somehow made it to NRT for our connection and arrived with us in SYD. So the moral of the story is if you have to check luggage, make sure it's oversize/fragile/'special'

kwierenga Jun 27, 2014 11:23 pm

we are missing 5 pieces of luggage since friday 26/6. the ba website to find info on lost luggage is a joke, and the phone is always busy. we have no idea when to expect the luggage.

doesntmatter Jun 27, 2014 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 23107881)
Well you did the right thing: say you did have cover from VIsa they may have said "fine, bung it on the card, sign this form and we will whack it to BA". Checking with insurers first can make life a lot easier, but you are still entitled to claim for essentials from BA regardless, insurance can make life easier.

"Essentials" is not defined, but in the modern era wearing clean clothes is generally considered essential. So either buy some clothes to keep you going, nothing too expensive, and/or use laundry services to buy time until your bags do get to you. Keeping your phone charged I'd say is essential, if you are going to a business meeting then formal wear may be required. Maybe not, you can ask your hosts to ignore your appearance and just laugh it off. Getting a full wardrobe clearly isn't essential. And it's ok to buy more if the delay continues. Keep the receipts, a contemporary note as to why something strange was essential and photo item and receipt just in case you lose it on the return!

I would suggest you consider whether you have the appropriate level of insurance, maybe you have, but there's no harm thinking it through again.

Thanks for the info. I'll probably be cheap and go to Tati or H&M.

I'll have to look into better travel credit cards apparently.

klymen Jun 27, 2014 11:37 pm

Here's BA's incident page for the failure: http://www.britishairways.com/travel...b?p_faqid=5036

There's going to be a lot of claims coming through I suspect, if the poster upthread was correctly informed that 10,000 bags missed flights.

LondonAndy Jun 28, 2014 12:31 am

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World (Post 23108126)
I sent an email to Trakdot and got a reply within a couple hours. CSR said their internal studies, with a fresh pair of Duracell AA batteries -- 200-240 hours.

So 10 days on the outside. That should be enough -- it could get tight for BA, but for other airlines it should be plenty sufficient. :D

Edited to add: Users tell a very different story of this product. A good friend suggested I have a read of the Amazon reviews. They're pretty bad. :(

I had looked at the reviews (how annoying that it is the same price in USD as in GBP!) and it seems like the more recent reviews are a lot better than the older reviews - I wonder if they have a new version with lower battery drain? And no, I don't work for them :D

chris1979 Jun 28, 2014 1:38 am

more T5 baggage issues today Saturday 28th June

Stressed looking and not very "customer service hat on" F reception lady just frowned at me when I said I would check in my bag.

She said everything was fine this morning but there are now belt issues again. Bags certainly starting to pile up in F check in area.

run44 Jun 28, 2014 1:44 am

Definitely still problems. My bag didn't arrive to Madrid yesterday at 5pm and per the online claim system, they still haven't located it....

chris1979 Jun 28, 2014 2:03 am

I was eventually assured at check-in that bag would make it but a bit worrying that the belts were not working again earlier.

Might be best to be on the prudent side today (didn't stop me from checking in my bag though as didn't want to throw away liquids).

shorthauldad Jun 28, 2014 2:37 am

Hmm. If you're flying somewhere with BA but will then be continuing on (same day) with another airline, on another booking, what happens if the bags fail to turn up off the BA flight?

Is "best practice" to put a piece of paper with your final destination inside the bag?