Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

T5 baggage system failure - 26 and 28 June 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

T5 baggage system failure - 26 and 28 June 2014

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2014, 5:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by peck
A 2 nighter?! Good grief man I do 7 nighters with hand baggage
+1. In fact the only time I have ever checked bags is a three week jaunt down under (for the winning Ashes series) with a Thailand stop on the way back. Even then I wasn't happy that I couldn't get everything in a carry on bag!!!
Old Jun 28, 2014, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Just checked two bags PMI-LHR-JFK. Are bags transferring at LHR having the same issues as bags being checked at LHR?
(Fortunately I'm on my way home so it doesn't really matter, but I'd rather have my bags travel with me than not!)
Old Jun 28, 2014, 5:59 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
more T5 baggage issues today Saturday 28th June

BA outstation announcement on plane said 50% of bags didn't make it. She advised that queues at desk would be long and anyone not wishing to wait should go online to fill out relevant form.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by chris1979
BA outstation announcement on plane said 50% of bags didn't make it. She advised that queues at desk would be long and anyone not wishing to wait should go online to fill out relevant form.
What's the deal with needing to report missing or damaged bags before leaving the airport? Is it only damage that needs to be reported on the spot?
Old Jun 28, 2014, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Frankly this is becoming a joke.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
OK, now it's been over 48 hours and no word from BA. As one who almost never checks bags I hope I can ask a couple questions of you experts.

1. I'm on the BA tracking system site, but I don't get how it works? Which numbers do I enter in from the baggage ticket? I tried guessing and it tells me that Your airline is not a member of this service. Please contact them for assistance.

2. As we are in Brazil, what can I reasonably expense to BA from the items missing?
Old Jun 28, 2014, 7:53 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Originally Posted by shorthauldad
What's the deal with needing to report missing or damaged bags before leaving the airport? Is it only damage that needs to be reported on the spot?
Don't know. My bag made it (as they told me at LHR) but the announcement from the BA lady on the plane suggested that people could just leave and fill out forms online. I was quickly off the plane and there were 2 desks manned but it was a A320 which I guess makes say 150 pax so 75 of those will be queuing / needing to fill out a forms and the BA lady said the queues would be very long.

I can't imagine there being an issue with pax leaving the airport and filling out a claim later given that BA know that the bag didn't make it, ie it's not a case of anyone being able to defraud BA by making claims that aren't truthful.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
OK, now it's been over 48 hours and no word from BA. As one who almost never checks bags I hope I can ask a couple questions of you experts.

1. I'm on the BA tracking system site, but I don't get how it works? Which numbers do I enter in from the baggage ticket? I tried guessing and it tells me that Your airline is not a member of this service. Please contact them for assistance.

2. As we are in Brazil, what can I reasonably expense to BA from the items missing?
Re 1 it should be BA and then the 6 digit number that is on your luggage receipt.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 8:16 am

Programs: BA, Marriott, Hertz, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Is this affecting bags in transit too? I flew ATL-LHR-EDI yesterday and all was good - the bag made it on the same planes as me. However, I am doing EDI-LHR-PHX on Tuesday and will not check in my bag if it's still a lottery.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks I got it to work now and I am stunned at what I see. The BA staff clearly knew that we wanted the bags delivered to our Brazil address as we had lots of communication about this including email. But now on this site I see that the "special instructions" say to deliver the bags back to Europe!! ... BA?

At least it says that the bags have not been traced yet so I guess I have time to correct the faulty instructions I see on this site. But I now have zero confidence in BA's ability to pay attention to detail. Which is kind of what you want in an airline.

Oh wait. Now it says I cannot make an illegal edit to say I do not want our bags sent back to Europe! Again ... BA? Now I guess I need to make a very expensive and long telephone call to BA.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 8:49 am

Programs: ABBA
Originally Posted by stimpy
Thanks I got it to work now and I am stunned at what I see. The BA staff clearly knew that we wanted the bags delivered to our Brazil address as we had lots of communication about this including email. But now on this site I see that the "special instructions" say to deliver the bags back to Europe!! ... BA?

At least it says that the bags have not been traced yet so I guess I have time to correct the faulty instructions I see on this site. But I now have zero confidence in BA's ability to pay attention to detail. Which is kind of what you want in an airline.

Oh wait. Now it says I cannot make an illegal edit to say I do not want our bags sent back to Europe! Again ... BA? Now I guess I need to make a very expensive and long telephone call to BA.
Skype and you first?
Old Jun 28, 2014, 9:02 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFL. Hilton Lifetime Diamond. IHG Platinum. Accor Gold. National Exec Elite. Sixt Platinum
Unhappy Some thoughts on the ongoing baggage issues at T5...

I have the unfortunate "honour" of being caught up both in the June 6th failures and the failures on June 26th - 28th(ongoing)... In the June 6th problems, it took 4 days to reunite me with my bags at my destination.. I even came home to re-supply as I was on a 3-week assignment (or supposedly was).... In the present problems, who knows... One of my bags was due to come meet me yesterday, but my feeling is that it didn't.. the other, who knows...

Each time, the problem impacts my business as stuff essential to my job is caught in the checked baggage that is not delivered.. I'd travel Hand baggage only, if I could, but my "problem" is that, travelling for my job, for long assignments, I need to check enough clothing and professional equipment to last and do my work. I tale as much as I can carry-on, but it's simply not possible for me to travel with hand baggage only.

Although we are not being told what the problem is or what chance there is for a sensible return of "normal" service, it seems clear to me that, right now, the system at T5 cannot be considered reliable and, with this in mind, I now have to think very carefully about what to do in future and I cannot continue to risk my business with this...

I guess I must consider using alternate routes. But having already bought a number of flights in the coming weeks, this may not be possible in the immediate future.

What really annoys me about this is that the communication to us about what is going on is poor. I need to make decisions that will impact the ongoing viability of my business and with the information coming out I am not able to (other than the "nuclear" option of cancelling non-refundable tickets and losing £1,000's in non-refundable tickets)...

Looking forward, much more of this and one has to consider the problem to be business-threatening (at least to some extent) not just to me, but to BA, also.. This must be a logistical and financial nightmare for them already... one can only consider to what greater extent this might impact them if it were to go on, say, for some more days, or if something similar happened in a week's time...

Not good.. but not just for us passengers...
Old Jun 28, 2014, 9:09 am

Just hit 24 hours with no bag. At least this has given me a chance to try the David Beckham underwear at H&M...

How long does it take BA to find a back and get it from LHR to CDG? They must be having a huge problem at LHR. I figured I'd have my bag by now.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 9:09 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It must be tempting to look to another route / airline to try and head off the problem. However that's fraught with issues, since - depending on the airline - between 40% and 50% of baggage delays are caused my misconnects at transit airports. It's by far the biggest single cause of baggage delays. We've had two bad incidents recently, so it's cause a lot of angst recently. One of these incidents affected other airlines, I met some very upset Virgin passengers yesterday who basically felt their vacation had been totally wrecked by the lack of luggage for 2 weeks.

Having said that, that was after a relatively sane winter for BA, and so we see a lot of complaints now, that has been against the trend of the last year or so. So it won't be much comfort for you but the context isn't as bad as the month of June.

I am glad it's not just clothes that stops you going hand luggage, that definitely can be managed!
Old Jun 28, 2014, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by paulwuk
Skype and you first?
My Internet here is too poor for Skype and this wasn't a First ticket. And I'll bet BA isn't taking calls this weekend about baggage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.