Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

T5 baggage system failure - 26 and 28 June 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

T5 baggage system failure - 26 and 28 June 2014

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2014, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Blumie
Is it reasonable for BA to take this long (and I know that others have waited even longer) to reunite passengers with their bags?
I can answer that one for you: no.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 10:11 am

For those of you who have been on the edge of your seats regarding my missing bag, today, after nine days, the status of my bag on BA's website went from "TRACING CONTINUES. PLEASE CHECK BACK LATER" to "DELIVERY PROCESS INITIATED," and shortly thereafter it was dropped at my apartment. I haven't been home yet to see what kind of condition it's in (did the olive oil I purchased in Mallorca remain intact or is it all over my clothes?!?!), but at least it's finally home.

I have so many questions that of course will never be answered: Why did one bag make it just fine and one get delayed by nine days? Was it at LHR this entire time or did it get left behind at PMI? Is it reasonable for BA to take this long (and I know that others have waited even longer) to reunite passengers with their bags?
Good to hear^ I just submitted all the claims tonight at the baggage office. Hope I will be as lucky
Old Jul 7, 2014, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
For those of you who have been on the edge of your seats regarding my missing bag, today, after nine days, the status of my bag on BA's website went from "TRACING CONTINUES. PLEASE CHECK BACK LATER" to "DELIVERY PROCESS INITIATED," and shortly thereafter it was dropped at my apartment. I haven't been home yet to see what kind of condition it's in (did the olive oil I purchased in Mallorca remain intact or is it all over my clothes?!?!), but at least it's finally home.

I have so many questions that of course will never be answered: Why did one bag make it just fine and one get delayed by nine days? Was it at LHR this entire time or did it get left behind at PMI? Is it reasonable for BA to take this long (and I know that others have waited even longer) to reunite passengers with their bags?
Ok, my last post in this thread! Turns out that my bag was at PMI the entire time. I checked in on 28 June, and on 6 July (i.e., six days later), my bag flew PMI-MAD-JFK on IB. So it would appear that my bag was not caught up in the LHR fiasco, unless it was collateral damage (i.e., perhaps they were holding some bags at their origin due to capacity issues at LHR). Still have lots of questions, but it's another piece of the puzzle.

Good news is that everything appears to be intact, including my two bottles of olive oil!
Old Jul 7, 2014, 4:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH Senator, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Zaynab
My experience suggests to me AA/BA may have some issues at LHR regarding luggage transfer between the terminals ...
I agree. We did LAX-LHR-HEL on June 17/18 and one bag (of three) got delayed in LHR for an overnight. Again on July 3 we flew BCN-LHR-HEL and both of your bags got delayed, we got one on July 5th and one is still missing. Both cases include a transfer from T5 to T3 for the HEL flight (BA & AY).

Of the hundreds of flights we've done, we have got delayed luggage only four times, and of them, three times just one of the bags. Always in LHR. Even short transfers in CDG has worked out just fine. We got our BA Gold just renewed with 2000+ TP but now there's a big question in the air if we should start to avoid LHR for good, and let British Airways go at the same time.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I got a pretty fast response from my claim to BA, but they are only offering a third of what I claimed. I had about a €1000 claimed and they said 300 will do. They said that they would not compensate for broken wine bottles and the further damage caused by the wine.

I can see that if a broken wine bottle was all the damage, then sure BA is right. But these wine bottles were very well packed so they could not be broken unless the bags incurred severe damage, which is what happened. BA is reimbursing me for the destroyed luggage, but not the contents inside. I don't agree, but it's not worth fighting over.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 6:48 pm

Programs: AC*E
Yipee

16 days and I finally have my bag. Gone missing on transit DOH-LHR-YUL on June 27. Was in canada only for a few days and had to ask BA to hold at YUL. Unfortunately ended up with a few things stolen from the bag during its stay.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 9:31 pm

15 days now... no updates no nothing
Old Jul 15, 2014, 5:41 am

Programs: AC*E
Flew out of YUL last night on my way back to DOH. Saw the woman who gave me the bag the other day and mentioned about the missing items. She said that a large number of complaints have been rolling in regarding stolen toiletries.....I guess somebody is in need or a lot of shampoo and deodorant.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well it has happened again. Total meltdown at LHR the last couple of days and huge numbers of bags just sitting there yet to be sorted. This is what BA has told me just now. Yesterday they said they had located my bags in Chicago and would put them on the next flight. They located one of the bags today at LHR and gave it to the Citybags courier to forward to me. Only they screwed up and gave it to Citybags at LHR rather than the courier here in France, even though it is all correctly spelled out in the dossier that it has to come to France.

BA themselves, CANNOT EVEN CONTACT CITYBAGS! How can you screw up so bag as to hire a courier firm that will not answer the phone, nor reply to emails? BA just told me that eventually EVENTUALLY! Citybags will realize that my bag has to come to France and return it to BA so they can fly it to Paris. And eventually they expect to find the second bag somewhere at LHR. I'm betting it takes a week or more and my bags arrive destroyed like the previous time.

I guess I just have to resign myself to never ever flying BA when I need to check bags.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Am I really the only one here who is still missing bags? Is BA lying to me saying that thousands upon thousands of bags are sitting at LHR which is why I still don't have mine after 5 days?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.