Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

T5 baggage system failure - 26 and 28 June 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

T5 baggage system failure - 26 and 28 June 2014

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2014, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by JohnAx
Is the baggage problem strictly to and from street-side at T5, or does it also show up in bags passing air-side between BA flights at Heathrow (T5-T5 and/or T1-T5, T5-T1)?
A number of us have asked this question, but I do not recall having seen a response.

One data point: I flew PMI-LHR-JFK this weekend, checking two bags all the way through. My PMI-LHR flight was delayed such that I missed the connection and ended up overnighting at the Sofitel. I asked BA to retrieve my bags. They were able to locate one for me. The second (and more important) has not been seen since PMI. That said, I see no evidence that the mishandling of my bag has anything to do with the problems at LHR. In fact, that they were able to locate my one bag that did properly fly from PMI-LHR suggests that connecting bags are working properly.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 7:43 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Is the baggage problem strictly to and from street-side at T5, or does it also show up in bags passing air-side between BA flights at Heathrow (T5-T5 and/or T1-T5, T5-T1)?
My missing bags were transferred from AA (T3) to BA (T5). 90+ hours and counting, and my optimism and goodwill are waning...
Old Jun 30, 2014, 9:51 am
JTK

Programs: AAdvantage EP
I was traveling Toulouse to Newark, NJ T5-T5 with a long layover on Saturday. My bag is in the bag black hole as far a I can figure out. In fact when I got to EWR they had a form already prefilled with a tracking number for me. Just had to put in a few details.

As an engineer, I can understand that glitches occur when you first release a system like this but this is just unacceptable for a system that has been in place.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 9:58 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
No it's affecting connecting flights also. Ours went missing T5 to T5, int to dom on Saturday and still not a cheep!
Old Jun 30, 2014, 10:10 am

Flew in to SEA on Friday 27th, bags appear as "TRACING CONTINUES. PLEASE CHECK BACK LATER" on worldtracer since. BA's SEA staff seem to have abandoned all posts, as it's impossible to get to ANY dept. Only Reservations will pick up, and rudely hung up twice claiming they have no means to transfer a call or reach a representative. Customer relations have not picked up on calls since Saturday and you can't leave a message as voice mail is full. Last I dialed (through my computer), I received the phone system's "our representatives will be with you shortly" message of which I have an eight hour recording of. While I appreciate that this is a Terminal 5 incurable malignant terminal prognoses, BA has failed at any level of customer service and handling. I'm seriously considering filing a missing persons report for BA's SEA staff.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by zanderblue
No it's affecting connecting flights also. Ours went missing T5 to T5, int to dom on Saturday and still not a cheep!

On my flight from LHR to CDG on Friday, the only people who had bags make it were those who checked in at T5. None of the transfer bags made it. I suspect the bags that made it were all handled by hand at LHR after checkin.

My transfer bag is still missing.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Found this pic in my phone from Thursday. There was a much bigger section near the F check-in area cordoned off with stacks of luggage.

Old Jun 30, 2014, 11:27 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome to Flyertalk roadrunner100

Originally Posted by roadrunner100
Flew in to SEA on Friday 27th, bags appear as "TRACING CONTINUES. PLEASE CHECK BACK LATER" on worldtracer since.
Welcome to Flyertalk roadrunner100, welcome to the BA board, at what must be a highly frustrating time for you. I hope you get your bags back soon, but at least we have the pleasure of your company. Welcome on board.

I think I can only repeat the core advice: if you see "tracing continues" there is nothing you can do, other than check you delivery contact details are correct. It means the bags are being processed (sat in a bit pile somewhere) and ringing up will do no good, there are thousands of passengers affected so they are not going to look for your bags, and the agent has no more information than you have.

As soon as "tracing continues" changes to another message then that normally suggest your bags are definitely en route.

Frankly you best get on with your life, one day you will get your bags back, but unless you are a revenue First passenger, Prem or GGL, and/or have medical supplies in the bag, I can't see BA doing anything more: there are just too many bags to process at the moment, and you are just one in a thousand (plus). Not very satisfactory, but any other approach will cause anxiety in direct disproportion to outcomes.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Welcome to Flyertalk roadrunner100

... and/or have medical supplies in the bag, I can't see BA doing anything more:
Thanks for the advice, however, you have raised the main issue. I do have critical meds in the suitcase. I always pack my hand luggage with a week's supply, but the rest (due to space limitations) needs to be in the luggage... The US does not allow unaccompanied meds - so couriering is out of the question. A local MD I went to see isn't able to supply the prescriptions without a lengthy diagnoses and authorization process. Since SEA BA's staff is AWAL, not replying to e-mails, or otherwise absent, I cannot even raise this critical issue. A week's supply of life support meds runs out in a ... week.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 12:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Looking for some info. Due to fly edi - Lhr -fco on Wednesday. Two nights in Rome followed by 10 nights on a cruise ship. Is the delay affecting only luggage from 26 - 29 June.? What's the position re flights from 30th onwards ?
Old Jun 30, 2014, 12:26 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by roadrunner100
Thanks for the advice, however, you have raised the main issue. I do have critical meds in the suitcase. I always pack my hand luggage with a week's supply, but the rest (due to space limitations) needs to be in the luggage... The US does not allow unaccompanied meds - so couriering is out of the question. A local MD I went to see isn't able to supply the prescriptions without a lengthy diagnoses and authorization process. Since SEA BA's staff is AWAL, not replying to e-mails, or otherwise absent, I cannot even raise this critical issue. A week's supply of life support meds runs out in a ... week.
Given that your bag is in Heathrow, I'm not sure asking the staff in Seattle will help all that much. I'd suggest you try ringing BA in the UK, and stress to them about the medication. When you claim back your costs from BA for the things you've been able to buy, include in that the phone call to the UK (assuming you don't have enough BAEC status to get a freephone number, which can be called for free from Skype)
Old Jun 30, 2014, 12:45 pm

Lost baggage maybe have been found?!

We travelled 25/26th June from LAX-LHR-MAN. cases missing since Thursday. I've had a text from BA today to say the delivery process has been initiated. The courier had picked it up at 3pm today. Anyone lucky enough to have got this far or further and know roughly how much longer it will be until I'm reunited with my possessions?! Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 30, 2014, 12:49 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Travelling later in the week for a week's business trip. Looks as though some hand luggage including business attire for the next day's work may well be sensible.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Not sure if this is related, but I flew LHR-JFK yesterday. I had one bag I otherwise would have checked, but decided against it due to this fiasco. While the bag was not oversized, it did result in my having three carry-on bags: a medium sized duffle bag (the bag I otherwise would have checked), a laptop bag, and a tote bag. I'm not sure who normally would be responsible for policing the number of carry-on bags, but no one gave me any problem at all for having three.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 1:06 pm

Programs: BAEC silver
The latest inside track from a friend working in Waterside is that HMRC have been very reluctant to allow baggage stuck in the LHR system bound for domestics to be processed. Begrudgingly they agreed late last night and truck loads of bags are heading North to other UK airports. Apparently the problem is in the software that does both the transfers, called 'sortation' and the reconciliation of bags against check in pax. So it appears that curbside T5 deps have been ok for a couple of days, but transfers have been a nightmare. Apparently the repatriation of Int'l bags has carried on, but numbers of bags have been the challenge as opposed to bureaucracy.

I see also in the news that Gatwick have issued an apology for the very poor service provided by Swissport as a result of their sloppy baggage delivery performance.

All in all not a good week for BA and baggage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.