Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 16, 2014, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TCX69
In late 2014/early 2015 British Airways has refurbished all of its A320 and A321 fleet (ex-bmi aircraft are not to be refurbished, and A319 conversions are still undergoing--see below) to an interior of:
  • Business class (Club Europe/CE) seat pitch of 30", width of 17" and recline of 3";
  • Economy class (Euro Traveller/ET) seat pitch of 29-30", width of 17" and recline of 2".

The Shorthaul Boeing fleet (Gatwick 737s, Heathrow 767s) will not be refurbished. These aircraft will remain with a business class seat pitch of 34", width of 19.5" and recline of 4.5", and with an economy class seat pitch of 31", width of 18" and recline of 4.5".

The ex-bmi A319 and A320 aircraft will not be refurbished. These aircraft will remain with a seat pitch of 30", width of 18" and recline of 3" in both business and economy.

Mainline BA Shorthaul Airbus Seat Pitch Changes
A319 business class from 34" to 30"
A320 business class from 34" to 30"
A321 business class from 34" to 30"

A319 economy class from 31" to 29"
A320 economy class from 31" to 30"
A321 economy class from 31" to 30"

Mainline BA Shorthaul Airbus Seat Width Changes
A319 business class from 19.5" to 17"
A320 business class from 19.5" to 17"
A321 business class from 19.5" to 17"

A319 economy class from 18" to 17"
A320 economy class from 18" to 17"
A321 economy class from 18" to 17"

Mainline BA Shorthaul Airbus Seat Recline Changes
A319/A320/A321 business class from 4.5" to 3"
A319/A320/A321 economy class from 4.5" to 2"

The A320 aircraft fitted with in flight entertainment (IFE) will continue to offer it for use on selected flights of 3 hours and over (Band 4) – ATH/IST/LCA. These aircraft no longer offer in-seat power.

Detailed description of the new seats and cabin design, courtesy of lhrsinsyd

New seat plans
courtesy of TCX69

Completed Aircraft - 28 Apr 16
courtesy of TCX69

A319
All Complete

A320
All Complete

A321
All Complete
Print Wikipost

New Shorthaul Cabins

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2014, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
And ghastly seat pitch too!
Old Jun 16, 2014, 9:56 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by gordies
Call me cynical, but does this 'enhancement' now mean a 737CE seat will become the best CE seat in the fleet?

Hands down indeed....
Old Jun 16, 2014, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Thanks for the photos, eminere, it looks impressive so far.

I don't know how this happened, but Pinnacle's BA seats are excellent while their Lufthansa version in NEK is not so good. OK for a short hop across Germany, but they are very unforgiving on the back.

I thought Lufty's Pinnacle seats were in their longhaul planes only
and the NEK Recaro http://www.recaro-as.com/bl3520.html in all their shorthaul planes.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 10:02 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
The race to the bottom continues. It really is sad that BA have no concept of what premium means.

Dear BA.....THIS http://www.airlinereporter.com/wp-co...0-1024x682.jpg
Old Jun 16, 2014, 10:03 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata, Turkish Elite... oh yeah, and of course: Starbucks Gold :P
Originally Posted by Calchas
"Now with the same space as BA business class"
I'm soooo waiting for this
Old Jun 16, 2014, 10:45 am

Programs: GGLfL
Originally Posted by jmc1K
The race to the bottom continues. It really is sad that BA have no concept of what premium means.

Dear BA.....THIS http://www.airlinereporter.com/wp-co...0-1024x682.jpg
If big seats means 3 of 4 seats unsold/empty, then you can understand why this doesn't work for BA.

The fact that no competitors in the shorthaul market (<3 hours) offer anything better kind of proves the point.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you are short you'll value privacy over legroom.

If you are a normal height or above I imagine most would prefer the legroom. I certainly do. 30" even with the slimline profile seats is going to be a functional 2/3 inch reduction in legroom which is most disappointing. Fancy leather doesn't compensate for that.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The human race is getting taller but leg room on planes is getting less. As Homer would say: 'D'oh!'. BA must be hedging their bets for upper body height increases.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 11:07 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by MrSimonR
If big seats means 3 of 4 seats unsold/empty, then you can understand why this doesn't work for BA.

The fact that no competitors in the shorthaul market (<3 hours) offer anything better kind of proves the point.
All it proves is that no one in recent history has tried.

CE often goes out half empty as is.

It would be reasonable to think that the current CE market would be retained, and more people would consider CE with proper seating. Furthermore, if you limit to 12-24 seats per cabin depending on aircraft, most would surely go out full. I'd also have no problem with severely restricting Avios availability on a proper shorthaul F/J product.

It really is clear thought that BA are moving to a low cost carrier model for short haul, while happily remaining behind the competition in longhaul F, (and J if you look at AA or DL's newest products.)

Eventually the nice crews are not going to be enough to keep those of us with choices.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 11:11 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
When they said 2+2 in CE I was hoping it would be something like this rather than just a blocked middle seat. Pitch on these is 38".

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Air-C...328190f888eda9

Last edited by Jagboi; Jun 16, 2014 at 11:17 am
Old Jun 16, 2014, 11:23 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by lhrsinsyd
... A320s (51 aircraft) and A319s (33 aircraft) ... We also have 11 A321s...
Reading between the lines, those numbers indicate that the short haul fleet at Gatwick will not be refurbished as part of this plan, only those planes based at LHR. Seems an odd decision, especially when operations at LGW are continually under pressure to become more profitable.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by MrSimonR
As in? AZ, LX, OS, KL, SN, SK, AF (except the domestic NEO seat), and even EI, etc. All have better pitch (and in my view, undoubtedly comfort) than the new BA seats will.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
Short Haul business class will still offer value on connecting itineraries I’d have thought esp with those flying from the US.

Will pax who have paid expensive first/ business fares be happy to be dumped into ET for the connecting legs? Whilst the hard product will obviously not add much, I think we’re underestimating the simple effect that the lower occupancy and, as importantly, the curtain creates.

I don’t think BA will be able to bin CE, whilst people are paying £4-5,000 for a flight connecting to Europe. However crap, people will want and expect a differentiated product.
Counter example: there's no J product on any BA domestic, yet on these routes BA is otherwise on the same footing as foreign carriers who do offer intra-Europe J. The only difference is the ease of connecting at LHR T5---which between the security improvement works at AMS and the eradication of premium transfer at T5, is steadily being eroded.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 12:29 pm

How about this as a comparison......

I did easy jet A320 with 29 inch pitch with there new slim line seats to Sharm in march - im 6'4...... I was shocked I thought it was very comfortable for a 6 hour flight.........I think it looks classy, seats will be comfy, middle table useful, mood lighting a nice touch

Its the brave new world and a full service area like BA has had to adapt. I think it will be fine
Old Jun 16, 2014, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Speedbirdjclass
I did easy jet A320 with 29 inch pitch with there new slim line seats to Sharm in march - im 6'4...... I was shocked I thought it was very comfortable for a 6 hour flight.........I think it looks classy, seats will be comfy, middle table useful, mood lighting a nice touch

Its the brave new world and a full service area like BA has had to adapt. I think it will be fine
I agree.

A lot of technology goes into those seats and they cost a fortune to develop. Contemporary economy class seats are actually extremely comfortable and as an office or home chair would be considered second to none. Because it is a less crowded cabin CE will be extremely comfy in the new seats, just as comfy as it is at present.

With these kinds of seating products the difficulties come when you have to sit in one for eight hours with a big man next to you and cannot stretch your legs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.