Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 16, 2014, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TCX69
In late 2014/early 2015 British Airways has refurbished all of its A320 and A321 fleet (ex-bmi aircraft are not to be refurbished, and A319 conversions are still undergoing--see below) to an interior of:
  • Business class (Club Europe/CE) seat pitch of 30", width of 17" and recline of 3";
  • Economy class (Euro Traveller/ET) seat pitch of 29-30", width of 17" and recline of 2".

The Shorthaul Boeing fleet (Gatwick 737s, Heathrow 767s) will not be refurbished. These aircraft will remain with a business class seat pitch of 34", width of 19.5" and recline of 4.5", and with an economy class seat pitch of 31", width of 18" and recline of 4.5".

The ex-bmi A319 and A320 aircraft will not be refurbished. These aircraft will remain with a seat pitch of 30", width of 18" and recline of 3" in both business and economy.

Mainline BA Shorthaul Airbus Seat Pitch Changes
A319 business class from 34" to 30"
A320 business class from 34" to 30"
A321 business class from 34" to 30"

A319 economy class from 31" to 29"
A320 economy class from 31" to 30"
A321 economy class from 31" to 30"

Mainline BA Shorthaul Airbus Seat Width Changes
A319 business class from 19.5" to 17"
A320 business class from 19.5" to 17"
A321 business class from 19.5" to 17"

A319 economy class from 18" to 17"
A320 economy class from 18" to 17"
A321 economy class from 18" to 17"

Mainline BA Shorthaul Airbus Seat Recline Changes
A319/A320/A321 business class from 4.5" to 3"
A319/A320/A321 economy class from 4.5" to 2"

The A320 aircraft fitted with in flight entertainment (IFE) will continue to offer it for use on selected flights of 3 hours and over (Band 4) – ATH/IST/LCA. These aircraft no longer offer in-seat power.

Detailed description of the new seats and cabin design, courtesy of lhrsinsyd

New seat plans
courtesy of TCX69

Completed Aircraft - 28 Apr 16
courtesy of TCX69

A319
All Complete

A320
All Complete

A321
All Complete
Print Wikipost

New Shorthaul Cabins

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2014, 6:55 am

Programs: LH FTL, BA Silver, Thameslink Delay Repay
Originally Posted by lhrsinsyd
What do the changes mean for Club Europe?
Club Europe seat-pitch will change from 34” to 30”. This is the same as business class seat-pitch as Lufthansa.
We’ll be maintaining the 2:2 configuration in Club Europe and the ‘central console’ separating the two seats has been redesigned to be a more useful and functional space, with areas for items such drinks, snacks and devices in addition to the seat-back table.

Our Club Europe customers tell us that what they value most is the additional privacy resulting from the middle seat being empty. That will not change and the new central console will improve how that space can be used.

Club Europe customers will also continue to benefit from use of our lounges, priority boarding and disembarkation, more personalised service and full catering on board.
Urgh, that settles that then

One step forward, two steps back... But thanks for letting us know lhrsinsyd.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 6:55 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Our Club Europe customers tell us that what they value most is the additional privacy resulting from the middle seat being empty.

And how do we tell you this is rubbish?
You often get the seat next to you empty in third world traveller so where the benefit in CE?
Full Catering - is a joke
Priority Disembarkation is very hit and miss (particularly at LGW)
Old Jun 16, 2014, 6:57 am

Programs: BAEC
What is the leg-room on the new seat?

What do the changes mean for Club Europe?
Club Europe seat-pitch will change from 34” to 30”. This is the same as business class seat-pitch as Lufthansa.
We’ll be maintaining the 2:2 configuration in Club Europe and the ‘central console’ separating the two seats has been redesigned to be a more useful and functional space, with areas for items such drinks, snacks and devices in addition to the seat-back table.

Our Club Europe customers tell us that what they value most is the additional privacy resulting from the middle seat being empty. That will not change and the new central console will improve how that space can be used.

Club Europe customers will also continue to benefit from use of our lounges, priority boarding and disembarkation, more personalised service and full catering on board.

What about the seat recline?
We’re reducing from 4.5” to 2” in Euro Traveller and 3” in Club Europe. The seat will still be comfortable for those seated in it who wish to recline, but it will also enable anyone working on a lap-top to continue to do so, should the person in front put their seat back. As it stands, it becomes impossible for people to be able to work comfortably. On these short flights few people want to sleep but many people want to work.
So a massive down grade in legroom for CE.

And who are the passengers that value the extra privacy (is there any privacy on a plane?) above leg room ??
Old Jun 16, 2014, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by bafan
So a massive down grade in legroom for CE.

And who are the passengers that value the extra privacy (is there any privacy on a plane?) above leg room ??
Well I for one value the middle seat above the legroom - but that doesn't mean I don't want the legroom as well as part of the general value proposition of CE
Old Jun 16, 2014, 7:04 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by csutter
Well I for one value the middle seat above the legroom - but that doesn't mean I don't want the legroom as well as part of the general value proposition of CE
Well, you should be happy. Your view is obviously the one that provides the justification for these changes...

Personally, as someone of reasonable height (6'2) I certainly think CE has lost a major attraction above ET.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 7:05 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Can I request my CE- seat is changed to an ET+ exit row seat when onboard?
Old Jun 16, 2014, 7:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, Geek platinum
Inspired by their 787? I assume this means they will be going for a 4-4 configuration in ET.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 7:06 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Originally Posted by A Poor Product Manager

Our Club Europe customers tell us that they will continue to fly in our Club Europe cabin however poor the service and however uncomfortable the seat because of our monopolistic position at London's Heathrow Airport providing connections to 250+ destinations.

By offering them as little food and drink as possible, we can continue to fool them into thinking they are flying on a Premium carrier.

We can continue to make false Product promises such as 'Priority Boarding because we can often blame the lack of these 'benefits' on our external ground handling suppliers, maintaining our consistent status of 'Nothing is ever our fault'

Our valued passengers will continue to benefit from more personalised service (as they will be much closer to their fellow passengers should they wish to take advantage of any enhanced personal services those fellow passengers wish to provide)

Watch out for other new improvements soon such as:
Coat folding lessons - available in the lounges so customers don't notice we no longer have wardrobes*
Maximising your bladder seminars* - Which will provide benefit not only onboard with the removal of toilets but our customers will also see benefit on other long, tedious and uncomfortable journies

*excludes Gatwick
Old Jun 16, 2014, 7:08 am

Programs: BA Gold
Is the CE pitch on the newer A320's (reg's are up-thread) with the Pinnacle seats 34" and being reduce, or have they been delivered with it at 30" already?

If it's the former, bit for me as a 6"2 bloke who chooses CE for the legroom.

If it's the latter, then I fit in those quite comfortably, so less of an issue
Old Jun 16, 2014, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the information lhrsinsyd.

There is no way the slim line seats supply a further 4" of leg room. This now means it is only worth looking at purchasing CE if there is space in the first row.

But no one mentioned the leg room? I find this very hard to believe.

Will you still be able to convert Club Europe seats into Euro Traveller?
By the sounds of it there's no longer any hard difference between CE and ET except a blocked seat.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by bafan
Well, you should be happy. Your view is obviously the one that provides the justification for these changes...

Personally, as someone of reasonable height (6'2) I certainly think CE has lost a major attraction above ET.
Well, but I'm not happy! It's like if you asked me if I'd rather be punched in the face or in the crotch - I'd probably have a preference but that doesn't mean I'd like either

That said, I'm curious how this will affect row 1 - as the purported space efficiency created by the seat in front doesn't apply to the bulkhead row, will this still have reasonable legroom?

Last edited by csutter; Jun 16, 2014 at 7:10 am Reason: I can't spell
Old Jun 16, 2014, 7:09 am

Meeting the minimum turn around times now, particularly for the A319 will be nigh on impossible. Will do wonders for the cabin baggage on a full config domestic run !
Old Jun 16, 2014, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by darthlemsip
Is the CE pitch on the newer A320's (reg's are up-thread) with the Pinnacle seats 34" and being reduce, or have they been delivered with it at 30" already?

If it's the former, bit for me as a 6"2 bloke who chooses CE for the legroom.

If it's the latter, then I fit in those quite comfortably, so less of an issue
Unfortunately it's the former. The new deliveries still have 34" in all potential CE rows
Old Jun 16, 2014, 7:11 am

Perhaps front row of Club Europe can now be sold as First Europe?
Old Jun 16, 2014, 7:11 am

Programs: LX SEN, BA Gfl/GGL, IC Dia, HH Dia, Hyatt LT GLOB
Yikes - from 34 to 30 inch in CE! Yes, it's the same as with Lufthansa, but I assume every competitor should know by now that LH has huge problems filling those seats within Europe and the latest customer survey has shown that most people (that have been buying those tickets before) do no longer see the value in it. It's like a vicious circle! Has been my reason switchng to BA! Oh, well, never mind. At least the fares are cheaper with BA

So in CE you can now choose between pest and cholera; in row one you have absolutely no way now to "stretch" your legs (assuming that the 30 inch also holds up for row 1 like on LX), and in the rows after you get smashed by the passenger before you as the seat recline is bigger in CE than in ET but with the same pitch!?

BTW, what about the wardrobes? Are they enhanced too?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.