Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 16, 2014, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TCX69
In late 2014/early 2015 British Airways has refurbished all of its A320 and A321 fleet (ex-bmi aircraft are not to be refurbished, and A319 conversions are still undergoing--see below) to an interior of:
  • Business class (Club Europe/CE) seat pitch of 30", width of 17" and recline of 3";
  • Economy class (Euro Traveller/ET) seat pitch of 29-30", width of 17" and recline of 2".

The Shorthaul Boeing fleet (Gatwick 737s, Heathrow 767s) will not be refurbished. These aircraft will remain with a business class seat pitch of 34", width of 19.5" and recline of 4.5", and with an economy class seat pitch of 31", width of 18" and recline of 4.5".

The ex-bmi A319 and A320 aircraft will not be refurbished. These aircraft will remain with a seat pitch of 30", width of 18" and recline of 3" in both business and economy.

Mainline BA Shorthaul Airbus Seat Pitch Changes
A319 business class from 34" to 30"
A320 business class from 34" to 30"
A321 business class from 34" to 30"

A319 economy class from 31" to 29"
A320 economy class from 31" to 30"
A321 economy class from 31" to 30"

Mainline BA Shorthaul Airbus Seat Width Changes
A319 business class from 19.5" to 17"
A320 business class from 19.5" to 17"
A321 business class from 19.5" to 17"

A319 economy class from 18" to 17"
A320 economy class from 18" to 17"
A321 economy class from 18" to 17"

Mainline BA Shorthaul Airbus Seat Recline Changes
A319/A320/A321 business class from 4.5" to 3"
A319/A320/A321 economy class from 4.5" to 2"

The A320 aircraft fitted with in flight entertainment (IFE) will continue to offer it for use on selected flights of 3 hours and over (Band 4) – ATH/IST/LCA. These aircraft no longer offer in-seat power.

Detailed description of the new seats and cabin design, courtesy of lhrsinsyd

New seat plans
courtesy of TCX69

Completed Aircraft - 28 Apr 16
courtesy of TCX69

A319
All Complete

A320
All Complete

A321
All Complete
Print Wikipost

New Shorthaul Cabins

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2014, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by hmorgan883
Wow, the legroom really will be LCC territory now, especially in ET. They're going to have big problems differentiating with this offering, no matter how nice and new the seats look for the first few weeks. 29" is not enough, no matter how thin they make the seats. As for putting more bags under the seat in front, how will that work when there's no legroom? You'll want your feet there, when you're jammed against the seat in front of you.

CE becomes 100% just for the points as 30" is economy legroom.

Makes you wonder why they don't go the whole hog and stop reclining altogether. Or will that be the next enhancement?!

Also as others have mentioned, the messaging is atrocious as well "same as Lufthansa", actually they could say "slightly below Ryanair's 30" on a 738, and on a par with EasyJet" as well. Which just underlines further how they will struggle with differentiating their product.
Looks like BA has been "Rouged". If you dont understand the reference just type in Rouge in the search box, or Google "Air Canada Rouge reviews" to see the passenger feedback of these types of "improvements/enhancements.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 11:10 pm

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Originally Posted by BahrainLad
Come on. BA are making a huge investment on replacing all of the seats on 95 short haul aircraft (all around 150 seats). All of them have a deluxe headrest, with significant number of those have a very nice new middle table (a custom design) which are both unmatched by any other carrier using these seats. If they were planning on getting rid of CE, they could have just not bothered and saved the design time and fitting expense.
Airlines replace seats all the time - they have to and each new breed of seat is lighter etc so rather than an investment, over a short period of time actually is a cost saving measure (and is in the interests of the business just as much as the passenger - if not more)

Re:If they were planning on getting rid of CE, they could have just not bothered and saved the design time and fitting

Because if they would have done that straight away more people would be up in arms about this. This provides them with an interim step, moving the product slowly towards the other product until such time as the 'merging the products' becomes obvious - its Change Management genius.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 11:16 pm

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Originally Posted by layz
What is happening with the toilets? One of the rumours was they'd be taking out one of the toilets at the back so that all the extra passengers they're squeezing in can queue for longer. Everyone knows queuing is a popular British pastime.

So is that enhancement happening or have they realised that's a bad idea.
If you have any flights booked on an A319 next year check out the seatmap. A pair of seats 25 A and B have appeared where the toilet used to be (rows 23 and 24 are new too!)

(Sample LHR-BRU BA400 2nd April)
Old Jun 16, 2014, 11:22 pm

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 2015 at 9:58 pm
Old Jun 16, 2014, 11:59 pm

Programs: Ba ggl, ccr
Thumbs down

As someone who for years only ever flew BA club or first and never looked at Economy or low cost carriers Ba are making a real effort to make me look to move my spend.

If the seats now offer 4' less legroom and less recline but I'm sure prices won't go down what's the point? I'm 6'2 and have put up with ba trashing the ce offering for years and introducing inedible food options despite raising prices for the leg room and seat width or that awful tea option. There now really seems no point?

But if there is no point flying ce what's the incentive to stay with ba for long haul routes either as at present I do all my monthly transatlantic flights with ba as no other carrier has the complete footprint I need of london to nice and to the us. If I no longer fly the nice route I and many other passengers can chose a new alliance for their high value and margin transatlantic business or first flights as there will no longer be a feeling of trying to maximize points and status on one airline.

Aside from the slip in on board catering and this now massive downgrade in planes the customer service and lounges have also been in free fall. I got food poisoning from a piece of salmon on the buffet that was frozen in the middle in the first lounge at heathrow t5 over three months ago. Despite constant chasing of the gold guestlist team,customer services and even special services I keep being told it's 'under investigation' but that's only when I ask. Seems ba have hoped they can ignore problems with their customers, which is crazy given I brought the salmon from the buffet to the lounge manager who felt the bottom of the plate and acknowledged it must still be part frozen in the middle for the plate to be that cold, and yet 3 months later it's still being investigated.....

At least from what I hear easyjet are honest about being no thrills, wish ba would stop hiking up prices and making empty promises whilst constantly worsening their offerings....
Old Jun 17, 2014, 12:14 am

Programs: BAEC Gold/GGL, IHG Diamond AMB
I personally pay for CE due to the extra room and space to get work done. That 4 inches might not sound much but when you've got the laptop out and working it does make a difference. The food is much of a muchness, flying into OTP yesterday in row 4 (in ET) we had a pretty decent meatballs and pasta. Ok I had the legroom for CE in the older seats but now I wouldn't pay for a product that has little benefit to me.

I agree with a lot of the posts on here that this is a step towards CE being declared an anachronism.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Of course this also means the end of the two front CE configured seats in ET
Old Jun 17, 2014, 12:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Sen, Delta Skymiles Gold
I prefer the KLM type of product where, in addition to always having an empty seat next to you, you also get 2 or 3 inches of additional pitch. When all the rows with the extra pitch aren't needed for business class, which is usually the case, they're sold as "Economy Comfort" at a small surcharge over any Y class fare.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 12:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
How come they're only getting 1 extra row of seats in the A320 out of this .. If they're taking 4" out of 15 (?) convertible seat rows that used to be in the A320 and perhaps 1" out of the remaining 12 (?) then they should be gaining enough for 2 extra rows rather than one ? (Not that I want to be giving them ideas!)

Looks like they're going to end up with 28 rows here .. by way of comparison Aer Lingus have 29 rows and that's certainly fairly tight
Old Jun 17, 2014, 12:33 am

Programs: BA, Marriott, Hertz, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
I was on a refurbished ex-BMI A320 twice yesterday. By chance it was the same plane flying EDI-LHR and then LHR-CPH an hour or so later.

For the LHR leg, I was in 3D and the leg room was lacking (I'm 6'4, or 1.9m in new money). I dreaded the chap in front reclining as it would have made matters worse. Fortunately he didn't, but I sat for an hour or so with my knees jammed against the seat in front, not to prevent him reclining but because it was the only way to get comfortable. The gent in 3C spent most of the flight with his legs stretched out in the aisle.

For the CPH leg, I was fortunate to be in 1D. I say that, because if I had paid CE prices for a seat such as 3D, I would be disappointed. Setup is as per a picture earlier in the thread, with a table over the "E" seat, which folds down from the seat back. Not sure if there is less space between the seat and bulkhead, but you certainly can't stretch out, although you can cross your legs, which is not an option in other rows.

Overall, if this is the shape of things to come, domestic flights on these planes are going to be uncomfortable. And before anyone pipes up with the inevitable "it's only an hour", yesterday's flight required bum on seat for almost 2 hours - 20 minute slot delay before take off, 1 hour flight and 30 minutes of holding and finals.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 12:34 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Petrus
BA are clever here. Once CE has been enhanced enough the move to ET only will be simple. Just remove the divider, seat block and decrease space. Bob's your uncle.
I think you have hit the nail right on its head. If the enhancement is such that it proves to be unpopular and thus unprofitable, then a quick turn of the screws and every seat is ET. Would BA go to such lengths to phase out CE? I don't know.

I'll patiently wait until I have tried it to condemn it

H
Old Jun 17, 2014, 12:58 am

So now it's only the addition of some extra food and Monopole that's causing premium APD to be charged on Club Europe... this makes the afternoon tea (consisting of a sandwich and a scone) more expensive than the Ritz!

HMRC specifically state that a cabin with no extra legroom (but the middle seat free) that offers priority boarding, lounge access and extra baggage allowance is not a premium cabin for tax purposes.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 1:01 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
Most of the debate here revolves around reduced pitch in CE - which affects me at the moment mainly as a domestic traveller who always picks a seat in the 34in zone.

And taking the "pitch is the same as Lufthansa" comment which suggests that BA are happy being the same as the competition - now ET and UK Dom will be worse than Easy Jet.

If I'm rushing home and haven't time between meeting to grab a bite to eat or eat in the lounge I get 30/29 in on my A319/A320 a thimble of coffee or drink and a packet of crisps with 5 crisps inside.

On Easy Jet I get the same pitch and the ability to by a decent sized coffee, and a bacon panini.

Just what is BA's proposition now on short haul economy.

Full service airline?

I'd say it's now aiming lower than the low costs.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 1:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Originally Posted by A P Yu
Airlines replace seats all the time - they have to and each new breed of seat is lighter etc so rather than an investment, over a short period of time actually is a cost saving measure (and is in the interests of the business just as much as the passenger - if not more)
That's interesting. Can you tell me when BA introduced the current CE convertible seat design?
Old Jun 17, 2014, 1:24 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
Originally Posted by BahrainLad
That's interesting. Can you tell me when BA introduced the current CE convertible seat design?
They had cloth covered convertibles when I started flying BA back in 1993. They were recovered in leather in the late 1990s early 2000s so they've been around for 20 years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.