Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gold member personal greeting

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2018, 11:51 am
Formerly known as joannerose66

Programs: Gold BA Exec, Hyatt Globalist
I had a lovely interaction (with possibly a CSD?) on a flight home from BOS Saturday night; I was sat in WT+ and they came around with the drinks trolley. I was a little confused (blame the tiredness) when he told me that I'd flown more than him - seeing the puzzled look on my face, he explained it was because I was one of his Gold card members, lovely to have my custom, much appreciated by BA etc....

I was asked if I wanted a wine with dinner, and as usual (when travelling in WT or WT+) I asked for the little bottle of cava.... he said I think you would rather have champagne... and whisked off to J and returned with 2 large glasses of champagne for me, smiled and wished me "happy birthday" (which is actually next month).

Later on when leaving the plane, he was by the door, and gave me a most genuine greeting again, asked if I'd got some rest and looked forward to seeing me on board again soon. On both occasions of him talking to me there was no ipad in sight.

I don't often get acknowledged as a GCH, and it's usually some mutterings from someone with their face staring at the ipad. This guy came across as so sincere, and it made me feel extremely appreciated as a BA Customer. If only there were more like him on flights... It was the genuine sounding greeting I was really impressed by - the 2 glasses of champagne was icing on the cake...
Old May 28, 2018, 11:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by vscxfan

When raising the subject with CC (in the galley, not in front of other pax), many were embarrassed by the patronising "Surpirse and delight" promotion over Easter and by having to deny status pax a free cup of tea tthereafter. If BA bothered to employ a behavioural economist (I'm available as long as they don't pay in devalued Avios), they'd understand that the marginal utility of a product or service just removed will always exceed the marginal utility of a product or service just restored.
It’s a nice idea, vscxfan, no doubt ^

But Alex is no mug, he’s not new to the airline business, and he’s a smart cookie. He doesn’t need a ‘behavioural economist’ to tell him that you don’t save money by giving away cups of tea.
Old May 28, 2018, 11:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
Nothing on LHR-AUH a few weeks ago in WT+.
Old May 28, 2018, 12:01 pm

Thankfully on my recent BA flights - no recognition whatsoever. I find keeping my earphones continually in helps to avoid such unnecessary smoke being blown towards my rear end.

dodgeflyer, flygirl68 and bisonrav like this.
Old May 28, 2018, 12:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Two out of 32 trips (94k miles) in the last year. (I too would be curious if the CC are 'trained' in such greetings).
Old May 28, 2018, 3:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Nice greetings for me as Gold and also Mrs Nivsy who is lowly silver 😋 on both the outbound last Thursday and today's morning inbound from BUC. In fact CSD very good on the inbound.

Off topic. MasterCard lounge at BUC pretty dire.
Old May 29, 2018, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
On a BA32 HKG-LHR, the CSD came around the upper deck forward CW cabin after breakfast, cheerily saying good morning to the Golds and asking if there was anything that we'd like to mention by way of feedback.

It was nice to be asked, but it was too awkward to be trying at a time like that to make comments on soft stuff about a relatively mediocre crew that didn't gel and seemed to have absorbed the vibes from a purser whose approach was business-like, brisk and rather devoid of warmth.

And I do genuinely mean that it was nice to be asked, as it contrasted with the LHR-BKK sector on which the CSM cheerily chatted to the (apparent) staff travellers at the beginning of the flight, but then gave me her best Paddington Bear hard stare when, in an attempt to make some sort of personal contact, I said good morning to her near the end of the flight. It was a good thing that I got on well with the cabin crew who were actually looking after me on that flight.
Old May 29, 2018, 2:51 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by flyerkit
20th consecutive welcome and special service on my lhr to sin flight. Ba crew have been fantastic over the last few months. 5 jal flights in may so far and nothing special, although standard service is good.
what class of service is that? I find Jal F so personal throughout that the official greeting or lack thereof is not significant at all.
Old May 29, 2018, 3:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK, DL, IHG Diamond, HHonours Gold, Hertz Presidents Club
9/10 Im just happy to be treated as I would of been if I wasn't a EC member.

However sometimes it is nice for a bit of a pick me/ego boost up after a hard day. However it usually happens when you don't want it.

My favourite was getting a particularly fawning CSM, coming down and thanking me on a flight back from PRG, I was with 5 other friends after a stag doo (bachelor party) none of them travel too much and they seem to be in awe when it happened.
Old May 29, 2018, 3:36 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Last week's LHR >> MAD >> LHR good service again on the 767 (although how much is the mechanistic 'personal greeting' and how much is because I now seem to know 2/3 of the crews is somewhat up for debate. Last week I knew maybe half the CC on the two legs and three out of the four pilots (and the other was a twitter 'celeb' pilot who I didn't have time to say hello to on the way back).

But the CSD greeting on the way back I suspect was very much from the 'how to greet a gold in ET' playbook. Albeit charmingly and genuinely delivered and therefore presumably precisely what was aimed for.

But I'd say I get the greeting no more than 10% of the flights I take in ET. LH J/F is of course a bit different.
Old May 29, 2018, 4:07 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
I was having a rummage through BA's new privacy policy (must have been VERY bored!) and came across this which explains how personal data might be used.. Seems like you might only get a personal greeting in CW on a good day going forward

Old May 29, 2018, 4:49 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Pascoe
But I'd say I get the greeting no more than 10% of the flights I take in ET. LH J/F is of course a bit different.
I cannot remember a greeting in CE or ET since I turned Bronze years ago. I can't even recall ever been addressed by name since I've been Silver or Gold.
Old May 29, 2018, 4:51 am

Programs: LH HON
Got greeted as OWE on SIN-LHR sitting in CW after takeoff. Lovely chat and felt genuine. Thumbs up.
Old May 29, 2018, 4:58 am

Programs: BA Gold
Only been on 4 flights since making gold, and am 1/4. However, the CSD/M (never remember which!) came back to WT IAD-LHR and was one of the most genuine people I've ever spoken to... really made me feel welcomed. Offered and brought back a full water bottle and glass of champagne. Saw her with two other glasses of champers in the other aisle so I guess there was at least one more Gold back in WT. Great staff all around, to be honest.

As I always say, when BA are great, they're great.
Old May 29, 2018, 5:26 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
I guess for me the enormity of delivering any Gold greeting on my regular shorthaul route was brought home to me this morning at T5.

When I arrived at the gate, the lines had already formed in each boarding group and Group 1 was already 20 deep. I joined the line and I reckon there were 30 people who boarded in Group 1 in the end onto an A321 for a 90-minute flight. A totally unscientific estimate would be that at least 20 of the Group 1 pax were in ET, so at least 20 Golds for the CSM to say hello to once the CE service was finished. I can see why she didn't even try

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.