Wiki Posts
Search

Gold member personal greeting

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2018, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by chan36
I have had now 6 flights after I got gold all in CE no welcome so fare from any CC or CSD. Next flight is in F to Singapore and back in CW, We are both gold so we will see if we get some changes. I got a welcome as a bronze and silver I went up to gold in 7 month so a bit dissapointing when you reached the highest tier your are not in the focus. So I should switch to another airline.
Some European flights are so short, the Golds so many, cabin crew so few, that it is probably impractical to offer the "personalised" status-led greetings. After all, these are meant to be more than just a wink and a thumbs-up delivered in passing - taking the time to indulge in some chit-chat with half a dozen or more individuals could be impractical on a busy flight.

Let's hope you are more lucky on the slightly longer Singapore flight.....
Great_circle likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 5:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
I get it every flight on cathay. And recently on BA27. Great crew.

I remember one comment one day when I was on GLA-LHR/LGW and in the exit row in Y and the CCM came up and made a fuss...and quite a special welcome/treatment. This must have caused a discussion behind because when I was leaving I heard the lady behind say Ahh he must be from Glasgow Warriors Rugby as I pulled on my "hoodie" with the logo. What me a 55 year old bald podgy bloke. :-)
Old Aug 27, 2018, 5:39 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
In the light of recent threads, I am wondering when we will see the first "I did not get a personal greeting by the CSD/M, how much compensation should I claim" post.
(And apologies if such post has indeed been made; I did not search).

More on topic though, happens to me on most BA flights and some are better executed than others. One of the better ones was not to me, but to my partner (she's Silver herself) - "Welcome onboard, mrs. SKT-DK. I see you're travelling with a GOOOOOOLD card holder today, so you will get the very best of our service. For him, well, not making any fuss... " My immediate response was that I would like to complain (joking of course!)
Old Aug 27, 2018, 6:26 am

About a year ago I was in the early flight out of Linate in the exit row. Just as we closed up the CSM came down with her iPad and started greeting the guy in A, then saw that B was also gold, then C...by the time she got to me in F we were all laughing.

Only then she saw that the other exit row behind was also a row of 6 Golds.

12 of us clapped as she rounded out the process.
vulle likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 6:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, Starwood Gold, SQ PPS Solitaire
Got a personal welcome from the CSD JFK-LHR, albeit in F. What I find odd about the greetings is that they stand in front of your seat for a good 10-15 seconds on the iPad and then say hello. Makes it feel very robotic and well, must as well not do it. Everytime I get it on SQ or CX, the purser comes right up as if having memorized my name (either in the galley or wherever) and it really makes a difference. First world problems....
Old Aug 29, 2018, 6:36 am

Programs: BA Gold
For me over the past year, greetings are running at about 5% of flights taken - and those greetings being in CW - nothing bar one in WT+ or WT. Personally I don't really expect it, but it would be nice to have some recognition - even when boarding (at least for LH) when they look at your boarding pass - with your name and status on* - and of course, chances are you're among the first/group1 to board anyway.

(*might be useful if BA followed AA's practice of making the status more visible on the BP).
Old Aug 29, 2018, 6:57 am

Programs: BA Gold; Surrey CCC
There's actually a pretty good Twitter account by a gentleman who is GGL, who mentions every welcomes he receives on board from crew (and in one instance, the FO came out to brief him on a delay) and when it is lacking. I found it by accident but didn't follow him - I'll try to find it again and let you know.
Colnic2011 likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 2:33 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH D, QFF, EB
Originally Posted by lotus918
Consistently inconsistent. Last week CW BWI - LHR yes, this week CW LGW-MCO no (but this flight deserves it's own thread for other issues!).
Out of recent flights I have had:
2 BA First no welcomes
5 BA long CE no welcomes
4 BA CW 2 welcomes and these 2 flights had the best crews out of all these BA flights. The CSM on both occasions had no IPad and had went beyond the basic welcome actually looking up some info to start the conversation. Have found when you get cabin crew leads like that the rest of the crew tend to be superb.

As a comparison.
1 short AY economy, welcome provided
1 HEL-LHR business no welcome but really good crew
6 AA domestic First, no recognition on board but 4 CK treatment prior to boarding.

BA is as inconsistent as ever but it is not just BA as previously AA have done thank you for loyalty conversations on board.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 11:42 pm

Programs: BAEC back to silver, Flying Blue Silver
Originally Posted by Great_circle
Had an unexpected personal welcome on the BA9 to BKK in CW yesterday, despite very little travel on BA past 12 months and losing gold status by end of the month.
On one of several domestic flights on MH this month the OW Emerald greeting was such that Mrs Great_circle (1C, me in 1A) felt a little bit overwhelmed and wondered if we perhaps might even keep the plane after landing : -)
Old Aug 31, 2018, 8:36 am

Programs: QF, BA, VA
An unusual one for me. As I was boarding BA284 the other day, My BP was scanned and the person at the gate stopped me to give a message from James Hillier thanking me for my loyalty. All rather odd.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
As others seem obsessed with this - Thursday LGW - AMS personal hello and a handshake from the CSM and some general chit chat.

Same with one other passenger. Only 7 in CE in total.

No mention of status just thanks to both of us for being ‘one of our regular flyers’

Old Aug 31, 2018, 9:06 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
LGW-JER yesterday, 4 of the 7 in CE were greeted by name. The rest of us got “sir”.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 4:59 pm

Programs: BA; LH; AF
First greeting in ages today: nothing on back to back Lhr-ams-lhr, but within minutes of sitting down in F for LHR-JNB, the CSM was there to introduce himself, commiserate on my busy day of flying, and to assure me that crew member J was hereby instructed to take good care of me, team in the galley was briefed to prioritise me, and to reach out directly if this didn't happen. Said J appeared seconds later to say Hi herself, rest of the crew in F came by too, all before take off. On departing the plane in JNB, CSM asked me if, having not reached out to him, his crew had indeed behaved as indicated.
I confess I was knackered, and the "relax, we'll take good care of you message" was one of those moments when you sit back and think that this is what having a shiny plastic card is all about. Golden ticket goes to crew member J, CSM gets a mention too.

Now if only the other thirty something legs this year could have been that pleasant!
Old Sep 2, 2018, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
As others seem obsessed with this
Quite.

I personally cannot understand the desire for 'recognition' whatsoever.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 12:27 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR - TK G
Originally Posted by rossmacd
Quite.

I personally cannot understand the desire for 'recognition' whatsoever.

well on the one side some people enjoy feeling "superior" to others.. which is quite normal (maslow)
and on the other side.. it gives you a feeling of "home" beeing recognized in a place that one recognizes... feeling welcomed.

from a psychological point of view it makes absolutely sense for a company to to treat their customers that way.. and it is hard for me to understand why BA doesnt put more effort into int.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.