Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 21, 2014, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: US @ DEN
Please list any issues/queries here. Updated to post # 87 plus 129.

iOS

Problem :
-upgrade button doesn’t work. It delivers MMB section but no upgrade ability (says to use normal website)
-seat map doesn’t work (just shows random symbols, not sure if iOS or Android related)
-BEY is in the "Europe" category rather than Middle East
-FDH: an extra "f"
-passbook error fails to download boarding pass - details here.
-On the flight status pages, there is no way to refresh the flight status to view latest information - surely you should be able to swipe down to refresh?
-Wifi password page lists closed BA lounges - Nairobi, Istanbul, Mumbai.
- app doesn't seem to update booking details when a return flight is changed via TA after outbound flown, second time I've experienced it recently (resolved when I check-in for booking via ba.com, albeit with a big of a lag - 5 mins+)
- Unable to download terminal maps because hard-coded server name no longer exists
- Ability to download mobile BPs is tied to phone clock showing 24 hours before departure whereas on connections and same-day returns the BP can be available before this.
-Business UK status not showning fast track status.
- The app fails to redirect to AA correctly to change seats on a BA booking
- receiving between 13-15 notifications per OLCI on notifications screen for each flight (testing ios10).
- App shuts down audio playing on other apps when certain BA app pages are loaded, including award search.
- The iPad app does not show the current year's tier points once you retain GGL. A panel on the My Account page, that I assume shows progress to the next tier, simply says you have retained GGL.
- as guest, Wallet boarding pass does not show oneworld status

Query :
-will gate numbers and baggage carousel numbers for non UK airports be displayed?
-Does the timer that determines how soon after departure time the "your next flight" section is updated work? And does this adjust with delays to the flight?
-where did the airport maps go?
-no pictures on the new destinations

Feature Request :
-Facility to add membership card to Wallet
-Booking of awards within the app
-GUI menu button move to left hand side
-synch across devices so if checked in on PC then ability to directly get BP
-gate number displayed on BP
-display booking class in MMB section under further details. (currently this only works using the upgrade button and then clicking on the flight segment in question)
-consistent UI (some sections are new and some revert to mobile site GUI)
-swipe to go back one step as per Apple standards
-change style to tabs instead of home screen and hamburger system
-weather shown should be for date of arrival (if less than 2 weeks away)
-HHA missing info (household account)
-resize add a booking on my bookings screen (too much real estate)
-contact us shows general contact info and not status specific info. (Gold line example)
-opton to turn off the return fares from London bit on bottom of home screen
-A hopeless request, but can it not be made to work with iOS6?
- For those of us who use both iOS and Android, minor request but can we have 'My account' list Avios and TPs in the same order (Android shows TPs then Avios, iOS shows Avios then TPs)
- Similarly can the menu be consistently either top left or top right on both (top right IMHO)
- Can it show LT TPs (at the very least in Full account details, if not on the main page with current Avios/TPs)
- Can it show GGL status on boarding passes please - if ba.com does, so should the app
- Add functionality to allow tracking of your bag (i.e. showing the last point of scan within the baggage tracing system) similar to that on the US Airways app.
- Add a CCR card display please.

Android

Problem :
-Flight Status, by Route & by Airport.
-The airport master data is loaded as :London, United Kingdom, LCY, City Airport
London, United Kingdom, LGW, Gatwick
London, United Kingdom, LHR, Heathrow
Which ever one you choose, it displays as "London, United..", so you can't tellwhich airport you've selected.
-upgrade button doesn’t work. It delivers sorry all available seats have been sold (incorrectly)
-changing seat button doesn’t work (may just be current BA.com issue related)
-seat map doesn’t work (just shows random symbols, not sure if iOS or Android related)
- Issues with reloading bookings after flight has been changed

Query :
-Android Widget no longer seems to exist. Is this intentional?
-version needed to upgrade app? (4.0.2 or earlier compatibility)?
-old boarding passes, are they still available? - yes, just go into previous bookings(EDIflyer)

Feature Request :
-Executive Club contact details (with the appropriate number for logged-in user's current tier)
-Booking of awards within the app
-add to calendar feature should allocate time according to flight duration not a fixed 1 hour
-smoother scrolling
-better contrast when Silver status and text at top of app window (white text)
- For those of us who use both iOS and Android, minor request but can we have 'My account' list Avios and TPs in the same order (Android shows TPs then Avios, iOS shows Avios then TPs)
- Similarly can the menu be consistently either top left or top right on both (top right IMHO)
- Can it show LT TPs (at the very least in Full account details, if not on the main page with current Avios/TPs)
- Can it show GGL status properly please - if ba.com does, so should the app

Print Wikipost

The British Airways iPhone & Android App

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2014, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by BA5E
Must be missing something, do not have the little gold bar across the top
Fly more

It's a status indicator, so depending on status it should be blue, brown, silver or gold.

I'm not sure if it includes any indicator of GGL status or Premier.
Old May 21, 2014, 6:14 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Must be missing something, do not have the little gold bar across the top
The colour of the bar corresponds to your BAEC tier. According to your profile, you are Silver, so you will not see a gold bar unless you reach Gold. I suspect yours should be grey-ish/silver colour.
Old May 21, 2014, 6:15 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Or just go to the BA app in the Play Store and it will have Update listed as the top right button. I just did that on my Samsung Galaxy Note which is my backup device to the iPhone.
have gone into play store bought up the app and have downloaded it, obviously wiped out the old app and replaced it with the new one, must say it is nice, but will a bit getting used to, although much easier to make bookings with the calendar than the old way, One now happy bunny, just now need to play around with it, and get accustomed to it. Great new app^
Old May 21, 2014, 6:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
I really like the new iOS design, pictures of the destinations are really good looking.
Where are the airport maps though? I found them extremely useful.
Old May 21, 2014, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by themapelligroup
I really like the new iOS design, pictures of the destinations are really good looking.
Where are the airport maps though? I found them extremely useful.
In the beta the menu item was there but clicking it said that this feature wasn't available in this beta.

I'm guessing this feature will be returning but wasn't ready for final release. They probably need to do some updates, I noticed some of the maps in the old app were outdated.
Old May 21, 2014, 6:27 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Originally Posted by techie
The colour of the bar corresponds to your BAEC tier. According to your profile, you are Silver, so you will not see a gold bar unless you reach Gold. I suspect yours should be grey-ish/silver colour.
You are correct, shows greyish/silver,
Old May 21, 2014, 6:29 am

Programs: BAEC GfL/GGL/CCR, BA Amex, Quidco, IHG Spire, Hotels.com Reinstated Gold)
The British Airways app [New version for iPhone & Android, launched 21 May]

Er. My Account seems fully up to date, but no upcoming bookings at all. Where have they gone?

Plus, seems strange that on a device that I could easily misplace I can choose to stay logged in "Always". Yet on a desktop which us going nowhere I have to log in every 5 minutes (an old complaint I know but still relevant)
Old May 21, 2014, 6:32 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
You are correct, shows greyish/silver,
Indeed it is.

What I would say is that (on my phone at least) the white text at the very top of the screen showing the signal strength, carrier, time and so on doesn't show up all that well against this greyish / silver background.
Old May 21, 2014, 6:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
The British Airways app [New version for iPhone & Android, launched 21 May]

That hamburger thing (learned something new today) is perfectly fine on the right hand side if you're right-handed!
Old May 21, 2014, 6:36 am

Programs: BA bronze card, NHS Blood Donor silver card
Thank you, now to ask another question, how do I manually upgrade this. Not a computer buff
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...=com.ba.mobile should take you straight to the Google Play Store, where you can upgrade (if you already have the app) or install (if you don't).

Originally Posted by layz
Before I upgrade the Android version, anyone want to tell me how to enable the home screen widget on the old version [EDIT: found it]? I never knew that feature existed and would like to take a look before I upgrade.
For those who've never used it before - installing a widget does depend on which version of Android you're using. Either long-press on an empty spot on the homescreen, and select the Widgets button; or go to your list of apps and keep swiping right till you get to the widgets.
Old May 21, 2014, 6:37 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
WIKI'd

I have added a wiki to the top of this thread, to summarise any problems or questions with the new apps.

Please feel free to update.
Old May 21, 2014, 6:40 am

Programs: LH FTL, BA Silver, Thameslink Delay Repay
Found some more small points after playing around with the app a bit.

My main concern is still that the sidebar and navigation in general are cumbersome, un-iOS like (in particular the "home" button on some screens) and afford the same level of hierarchy to primary functionality (My Account, My Bookings) as they do to the huge amount of secondary functionality like timetables, FAQs, About, and BA's social media profiles.

A tab bar would allow for quicker access to primary functionality and could - as for example in the Music app - allow for customisation. Even Facebook who "invented" this kind of menu on iOS are now using a tab bar again.

• Speaking of the hamburger menu, there is a very noticable delay when tapping on a menu item, after the sidebar slides in, until the screen fades to the screen I selected.
  • On the home screen, wouldn't it be more useful to show the weather for the date of arrival, rather than the current weather?
  • On the "My account" screen, it'd be great to see HHA Avios if you are in a HHA
  • On the "My bookings" screen, the fixed header with the huge "Add a booking" button and "Upcoming"/"Past" segment control takes up way too much screen real estate - it would be better if it scrolled with the rest of the table view.
  • "Contact us" shows me the general contact information, not the EC Gold info I would expect.
  • The "return fares from London" section at the bottom of the home screen is a bit annoying. Feels like an ad that can't be dismissed, especially since it's not tailored to me at all. WT to Las Vegas? Errrr... not in a million years, thank you very much. There should be an option to turn it off.
Old May 21, 2014, 6:41 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Problem : Flight Status, by Route & by Airport.
Android.

The airport master data is loaded as :
London, United Kingdom, LCY, City Airport
London, United Kingdom, LGW, Gatwick
London, United Kingdom, LHR, Heathrow

which ever one you choose, it displays as "London, United..", so you can't tell which airport you've selected.
Old May 21, 2014, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Omba
Er. My Account seems fully up to date, but no upcoming bookings at all. Where have they gone?

Plus, seems strange that on a device that I could easily misplace I can choose to stay logged in "Always". Yet on a desktop which us going nowhere I have to log in every 5 minutes (an old complaint I know but still relevant)
I think it's more to do with the fact the BA app is an app and therefore can automatically resend your authentication details to the back end if it notices you've timed out, whereas on a desktop when it times out you'll need to log in again yourself.

Most browsers have a password manager and so you can get it to pre-fill the login boxes.

If you don't lock your phone you should not let the app keep you logged in, although I think the app can do less damage than the website (e.g. you can't book Avios redemptions through the app).
Old May 21, 2014, 6:52 am
Suspended
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by britishchris
A few other things for the iOS version now that I've added a flight

1) You can't swipe to go backwards which is the standard gesture in iOS7 now
2) I agree that the Hamburger button should be on the left hand side rather than the right, with the menu on that side as well. I understand why you want the home button where it is (left=back) but it breaks convention of other apps using the hamburger (which isn't really sanctioned by Apple anyway, was it Facebook or Google that came up with it first? who knows...)

Oh and great job up to this point, it's a lovely app!
I'd agree with both those points. But I'd also like to add great work to all concerned - another excellent App from BA - Gavin et al continue to do an excellent job in this department!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.