Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA T5 Arrivals Lounge

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2016, 5:22 am
Suspended

On a positive note, myself and my wife arrived into T3 one afternoon to take an evening flight if I recall on CX in F to HKG. We went to the BA F lounge and its virtually empty. They told us dinner will not start until I think say 5pm. The manager came out with a chef and asked to tell them what we would like and they would cook it which they did. It was very much appreciated and we got on board and quickly went to sleep. By the time we left it was filling up and I have to say we were made to feel most welcome when we left.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 7:39 am

The information in this thread has been very useful, so thank you all for that. I do have one question that I am hoping you all can answer:

How much time should I allow between actual landing time and the time that we meet our driver to take us to Central London so that we can shower/bathe, eat, collect luggage, etc.?

Wife and I are travelling BA F, IAD to LHR for the first time and we'd like to take advantage of all that entails. BA0216 is scheduled to arrive at 6:50am. We are in no hurry to get to our hotel, since we won't be able to check in until afternoon, so we'd like to have a nice breakfast, shower, massage, etc. How long should we allow ourselves? Any other services that we should experience? Thanks!
Old Jun 21, 2016, 9:06 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by RoseyPSU
The information in this thread has been very useful, so thank you all for that. I do have one question that I am hoping you all can answer:

How much time should I allow between actual landing time and the time that we meet our driver to take us to Central London so that we can shower/bathe, eat, collect luggage, etc.?

Wife and I are travelling BA F, IAD to LHR for the first time and we'd like to take advantage of all that entails. BA0216 is scheduled to arrive at 6:50am. We are in no hurry to get to our hotel, since we won't be able to check in until afternoon, so we'd like to have a nice breakfast, shower, massage, etc. How long should we allow ourselves? Any other services that we should experience? Thanks!
There are too many variables to give an accurate idea for a particular day but you should be able to get to the lounge within an hour, and possibly faster. You can often minimise delays and get some exercise by walking if you arrive at T5B or C rather than using the transit. The difficult one is the massage. You can usually get a massage chair quickly but they seem to quote one to two hours for a human so you should probably be prepared to cut your losses there. The lounge is quite nice for sitting around but may be fairly busy in the early morning.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Welcome to FT, RoseyPSU!
Wife and I are travelling BA F, IAD to LHR for the first time and we'd like to take advantage of all that entails. BA0216 is scheduled to arrive at 6:50am. We are in no hurry to get to our hotel, since we won't be able to check in until afternoon, so we'd like to have a nice breakfast, shower, massage, etc. How long should we allow ourselves? Any other services that we should experience?
If you really are in no rush, you could positively decide to treat the morning as part of your holiday (if you are on holiday). Why don't you ask the driver to collect you at 12 noon or something like that? Then you can spend the entire morning enjoying the facilities at a leisurely pace.

IME, you can usually get an appointment at the spa for an actual treatment (ie not just an automatic massage in the chair) within 2½ hours, and often sooner than that. If you allow yourself that extra time margin, you can be reasonably confident that this will work out. You would also have time to enjoy a bath if that appeals to you, rather than simply sliding into and out of the shower. You'd also have time to enjoy the luxury of reading the newspaper(s) over numerous cups of tea. There are also computers in the lounge (as well as wifi if you want to use your own).
Old Jun 21, 2016, 10:01 am

Much as I like the arrivals lounge, I wouldn't choose to spend hours there. It's a pleasant spot to spend an hour or so, get refreshed and fed but it's still just a glorified waiting room.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Welcome to FT, RoseyPSU!If you really are in no rush, you could positively decide to treat the morning as part of your holiday (if you are on holiday). Why don't you ask the driver to collect you at 12 noon or something like that? Then you can spend the entire morning enjoying the facilities at a leisurely pace.
Thanks for the welcome and response. We are going to treat as part of our holiday, so I think we'll have a bath, nice leisurely breakfast, tea, etc. then head to the hotel. No rush to be at a hotel by 9am if we can't check in until after noon.... Thanks again.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 2:15 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Thanks for the welcome and response. We are going to treat as part of our holiday, so I think we'll have a bath, nice leisurely breakfast, tea, etc. then head to the hotel. No rush to be at a hotel by 9am if we can't check in until after noon.... Thanks again.
I will add my own greetings to you RoseyPSU, welcome to the BA forum and to Flyertalk, I hope you have a good break over in London.

One way to avoid having to decide this in advance is to simply take the Heathrow Express to central London and then use the black taxi service from there. Even if you have a mountain of luggage, it's relatively easy to do this since there lifts and trolleys throughout. Alternatively if using Uber, you can fairly reliably do this from the lounge when you have had enough.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've managed 2 hours in the arrivals lounge when killing time and working. Beyond that I would just be rather bored and want to escape.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 2:08 am

2 hours sounds about right including a bath. An Uber is probably the best choice though as you can order whenever you are ready.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Arrival on a BA flight in First means that you will be issued invitations to eat at the small, sit-down dining room within the Arrivals facility (same food as the buffet, but served by waitstaff at properly-dressed tables).

This also allows you to maximize sleep on the aircraft.

The dining room serves until noon, so plenty of time. Main decision may be, eat first, then bath/shower or spa? Or the reverse? First-world dilemma, and all that.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by 710 77345
2 hours sounds about right including a bath. An Uber is probably the best choice though as you can order whenever you are ready.
Thanks for the advice. Any idea on the approximate Uber fare from LHR to, say, Oxford Circus?

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
Main decision may be, eat first, then bath/shower or spa? Or the reverse? First-world dilemma, and all that.
And yes, this is all a VERY first world dilemma.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 8:33 am

Thanks for the advice. Any idea on the approximate Uber fare from LHR to, say, Oxford Circus?
Depends on the type of car you pick, but uber.com/london will give you the choices and fare estimates. It's reasonably priced compared to other car services.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K
We're arriving F at 6:30 from EWR next month. Everything in this thread has been tremendously helpful, and I have no doubt we will utilize the arrivals lounge upon landing. I have a quick question re:showers. It seems the reports are that they are somewhat tiny. What can I bring into these rooms? Will a roll aboard fit, or do I need to take a change of clothes in a small bag or garment bag? Does anyone know what type of toiletries and shampoo is provided (wife has some allergies)? Should we bring flip flops, or do they clean the floors after every shower?

Thanks!
Old Jan 11, 2017, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
A rollaboard would be fine - I see lots of people taking these into the showers.I have done this once or twice, but normally only take my small backpack in. The rooms are not actually "tiny", even though they are relatively compact. I know people living in London who have smaller bathrooms in their homes; and if you really needed to, two people could easily share a shower room without much difficulty (eg one in the shower, one at the handbasin).

It's worth remembering that the showers are designed as wet rooms, so water can creep across the floors. Some showers are worse than others for this. So you may want to put your bags on the seat until after you've finished your shower. The bath mat is a useful device for mopping up stray water.

The staff do clean each shower after every passenger, but I couldn't say for sure how much attention is routinely given to the floors. Nevertheless, I've never bothered with anything like flip flops as the bath mat does fine. And as there is usually some stray water to be mopped up by the passenger or by the staff, I've always taken the view that the floors sort of clean themselves naturally.

The provided toiletries are Elemis products - there's shower gel, shampoo, hand wash and moisturiser (the latter two by the handbasin). Some other toiletries and equipment (eg shave gel and disposable razor) are available from the showers reception (although I think none of us would recommend the razor except in an emergency).
Old Jan 11, 2017, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Globaliser
A rollaboard would be fine - I see lots of people taking these into the showers.I have done this once or twice, but normally only take my small backpack in. The rooms are not actually "tiny", even though they are relatively compact. I know people living in London who have smaller bathrooms in their homes; and if you really needed to, two people could easily share a shower room without much difficulty (eg one in the shower, one at the handbasin).

It's worth remembering that the showers are designed as wet rooms, so water can creep across the floors. Some showers are worse than others for this. So you may want to put your bags on the seat until after you've finished your shower. The bath mat is a useful device for mopping up stray water.

The staff do clean each shower after every passenger, but I couldn't say for sure how much attention is routinely given to the floors. Nevertheless, I've never bothered with anything like flip flops as the bath mat does fine. And as there is usually some stray water to be mopped up by the passenger or by the staff, I've always taken the view that the floors sort of clean themselves naturally.

The provided toiletries are Elemis products - there's shower gel, shampoo, hand wash and moisturiser (the latter two by the handbasin). Some other toiletries and equipment (eg shave gel and disposable razor) are available from the showers reception (although I think none of us would recommend the razor except in an emergency).
Many thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.