Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EsherFlyer
Current sign-up, referral, spend promotions and retention offers

New member sign ups

British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card:
Collect 25,000 bonus Avios when you spend £3,000 within the first three months of card membership.

British Airways American Express Credit Card:
Collect 9,000 bonus Avios when you spend £1,000 within the first three months of card membership.

Referrals

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the BA American Express card, you'll receive a 4,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the Premium Plus card, you'll receive a 9,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If your friend achieves the spend required for the welcome offer on either card they'll receive an additional 1,000 Avios. I.e. 26,000 or 10,000 total bonus Avios for the Premium Plus and Credit Card respectively.
Small print:
You must refer your friend via the referral link provided above to be eligible for this offer.

You may recommend as many friends or family members as you wish but you can only receive a maximum of 45,000 Avios per calendar year for those approved for a Card.

You will receive 4,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Credit Card. Your friend will receive 4,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £1,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

You will receive 9,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card. Your friend will receive 19,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £3,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

When completing the referral form, you must
(i) select the Card you hold from the list at Step 1 and
(ii) select a card to recommend from those listed at Step 2. If you do not follow this process, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus.

If your friend has already applied for any of the British Airways American Express Credit Cards without using this referral, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus Avios.

All introductory offers are subject to change, can be withdrawn at any time and are not available if your friend currently holds or has held any other British Airways American Express Credit Cards in the past six months.

Promotions

Retention offers

Voucher eligible spend
    Pretty much everything counts towards the £10,000 (or £20,000) required to earn a 2-4-1 Companion Voucher, including the following which might be unexpected:
    • Foreign transaction fees

A few things that don't:
    • Annual membership fee
    • Interest payments
    • Transactions under £1 (although you can earn the single Avios )

The online total to the right of the card summary is pretty up to date, and far more useful for tracking spend than what the statements show.

Insurance
    Both standard and Premium Plus cards include insurance benefits for goods and services purchased on the card. Full details here and here respectively. Summary of Premium Plus benefit are shown here, with standard card offering same cover unless alternate figure is shown in parentheses:
    • Purchase protection: £2,500
    • Refund protection: £300 (£200) per item
    • Flight delay / cancellation / overbooking / missed: £200 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (6+ hours): £750 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (48+ hours): £1,000 (£0), additional to 6 hours benefit
    • Accident: £250,000 (£75,000)
    • Hijack (24+ hours): £1,500
    • Hijack (72+ hours): £3,000, additional to the 24h benefit
    Print Wikipost

BA American Express credit card

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2017, 10:51 am

Programs: BAEC, Silver
    If the account is in my name, but my other half has a supplementary card, who gets the Avios for the purchases?
    • Do I get the Avios for purchases from my card and my partner gets the Avios from his purchases?
    or
    • Do I get the Avios for purchases from both cards?
    I gather the Avios are deposited directly into my BAEC account, rather than into my Amex account like Amex Rewards?

Secondly, I notice on the Wiki it says about receiving 19,000 bonus Avios for being referred & accepted for the premium plus card & having spent £3000 - is this in addition to the 25,000 welcome bonus after spending £3000 in 3 months?
    Old Dec 5, 2017, 11:05 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hilton Honors Gold
    Originally Posted by SussexFly
    If the account is in my name, but my other half has a supplementary card, who gets the Avios for the purchases?
    • Do I get the Avios for purchases from my card and my partner gets the Avios from his purchases?
    or
    • Do I get the Avios for purchases from both cards?
    I gather the Avios are deposited directly into my BAEC account, rather than into my Amex account like Amex Rewards?
    You get the Avios for purchases from both cards. The Avios collect in your Amex account during the month and then are transferred over to your BAEC account once a month.

Originally Posted by SussexFly
    Secondly, I notice on the Wiki it says about receiving 19,000 bonus Avios for being referred & accepted for the premium plus card & having spent £3000 - is this in addition to the 25,000 welcome bonus after spending £3000 in 3 months?
    No it refers to the welcome bonus not additional. That card has in the past offered 18,000 as a welcome bonus which increases to 19,000 when being referred. You only get 1000 additional Avios on top of whatever the standard welcome bonus is offered at the time when being referred.
    SussexFly likes this.
    Old Dec 12, 2017, 1:05 am

Missing Avios?

Normally, the Avios accrued transfer automatically from my Amex Blue to my BAEC account, leaving the former on 8th of each month and showing up in the latter as “Transaction” on 8th and “Posted” on 9th.

This month, the Amex app shows them as having left as usual on 8th, but they aren’t showing up in the BAEC account. It’s now several days later - I thought it was perhaps a weekend issue, but still nothing.

Has anybody else come across this before? Should I leave it a bit longer and then contact BA, or is it not worth it?
    Old Dec 12, 2017, 1:16 am

Programs: BA Silver
    Originally Posted by squawk
    Normally, the Avios accrued transfer automatically from my Amex Blue to my BAEC account, leaving the former on 8th of each month and showing up in the latter as “Transaction” on 8th and “Posted” on 9th.

This month, the Amex app shows them as having left as usual on 8th, but they aren’t showing up in the BAEC account. It’s now several days later - I thought it was perhaps a weekend issue, but still nothing.

Has anybody else come across this before? Should I leave it a bit longer and then contact BA, or is it not worth it?
    there have certainly been cases where the Avios get delayed by a week or so - so unless you need them urgently I would wait a couple of weeks before chasing.
    Old Dec 12, 2017, 2:39 am

Originally Posted by fruitcage
    there have certainly been cases where the Avios get delayed by a week or so - so unless you need them urgently I would wait a couple of weeks before chasing.
    Thanks fruitcage, that's helpful - no hurry, so I'll give it a little while.
    Old Dec 15, 2017, 12:30 pm

Programs: BA BLUE BADGE
    I recently reached the £10k spend on the BA Premium Plus card so got a 2-4-1 voucher and downgraded to the standard card. The new card arrived and a fee refund was gratefully received.

What I have noted from a note on my statement is that I now need a further £9k spend to get another voucher. So it seems the £10k spend on the Premium card that triggered the 1st voucher counts towards the £20k spend on the standard card that will trigger a 2nd voucher.

An unexpected surprise for me.
    jp-mco likes this.
    Old Dec 15, 2017, 3:51 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hilton Honors Gold
    Originally Posted by Lioneye
    I recently reached the £10k spend on the BA Premium Plus card so got a 2-4-1 voucher and downgraded to the standard card. The new card arrived and a fee refund was gratefully received.

What I have noted from a note on my statement is that I now need a further £9k spend to get another voucher. So it seems the £10k spend on the Premium card that triggered the 1st voucher counts towards the £20k spend on the standard card that will trigger a 2nd voucher.

An unexpected surprise for me.
    That's just a glitch with their IT. You can only earn 1 voucher per year so you'll need to wait until your year resets.
    Old Dec 16, 2017, 5:55 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum UK and related Hotel loyalty programs
    Retention bonus

I also mentioned that I was thinking of cancelling my card and they offered an extra avios per £ spent for 3 months as a retention incentive. So assume that I’ll get 2.5 avios/£ non-BA and 4 avios/£ BA spend.[/QUOTE]

Hi all has anyone else had any retention bonus offers. My year renews in January and I’m considering trying to downgrade to see what I get offered. I am likely to have quite a high spend in Feb as we are away but want to compare the Avios earned v the 2.99% foreign transaction fee vs using my Halifax card that had Zero fees abroad.

Old Dec 16, 2017, 11:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold
    Originally Posted by robiles

Hi all has anyone else had any retention bonus offers. My year renews in January and I’m considering trying to downgrade to see what I get offered. I am likely to have quite a high spend in Feb as we are away but want to compare the Avios earned v the 2.99% foreign transaction fee vs using my Halifax card that had Zero fees abroad.
    You're paying 3p for 2.5 Avios on that offer, so 1.2p per Avios. Unless you know you have a specific use exceeding that I'd say it was expensive. The only time I'd use a fee card for expenses abroad is if I'm reclaiming the cost. I believe others have said that the exchange rates used by Amex/VISA/Mastercard vary slightly, so it's probably a more complex calculation. When holidaying I've used a fee free Amex and VISA on the same day, and noticed no meaningful difference on spending a couple of hundred GBP, but maybe I need to check that again next trip. You'd have to be a real high spender to make the extra one Avios for 3 months pay off, compared to say swapping to a Amex Gold MR card for 6 months and churning the BA PP for another 25,000 Avios in the second half of next year. This all changes if you're trying to hit a spend target for the 2-4-1.
    Old Dec 17, 2017, 4:40 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
    I have a Costo deal on several of our Amex cards, which would work well if the cost of a high value item could be split across several cards. I have done this successfully in-store at places like Harrods, but wondered if it is possible at Costco. Maybe Costco sell their own brand gift cards for use at Costco, but I cannot see any on the website Reports of any relevant experiences appreciated.
    Old Dec 17, 2017, 6:01 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
    Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99
    I have a Costo deal on several of our Amex cards, which would work well if the cost of a high value item could be split across several cards. I have done this successfully in-store at places like Harrods, but wondered if it is possible at Costco. Maybe Costco sell their own brand gift cards for use at Costco, but I cannot see any on the website Reports of any relevant experiences appreciated.
    Same here but my local Costco said it couldn’t be done. Not so sure about the gift card option as it’s something I hadn’t even considered but I will now of course
    Old Dec 30, 2017, 12:15 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
    I asked on the Amex board, but no response - does anyone know if having a Gold Credit card which gives Membership points (I've had this for years and just cancelled today) invalidates the bonus for the Amex Gold Preferred Awards card? Raffles' guide on hfp doesn't mention it (it mentions a new type of credit card).
    Old Dec 30, 2017, 2:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
    Originally Posted by bisonrav
    I asked on the Amex board, but no response - does anyone know if having a Gold Credit card which gives Membership points (I've had this for years and just cancelled today) invalidates the bonus for the Amex Gold Preferred Awards card? Raffles' guide on hfp doesn't mention it (it mentions a new type of credit card).
    If you’ve held a card that earns points in a specific currency (Avios, MR, Starwood), you have to wait for at least 6 months before you get a sign up bonus for a card in the same currency of the one you held.
    bisonrav likes this.
    Old Jan 2, 2018, 5:59 pm

Programs: BA Silver
    Check your Amex offers for 1500 free avios when you spend £100 or more online at BA.com. Mine is valid untill 30th Jan.
    Old Jan 2, 2018, 10:46 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
    Originally Posted by BERbound
    Check your Amex offers for 1500 free avios when you spend £100 or more online at BA.com. Mine is valid untill 30th Jan.
    thanks for the prompt.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.