Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Is the movie selection getting worse on BA ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2013, 4:01 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by paulwuk
Ahh, the old "I don't like the films on offer therefore it's rubbish" argument.

The selection on the 747 has been skewed towards new releases in recent months, they've been on longer, and there have been more. I forget how many, but 5 or 6 pages of new releases - so about 30-35, at the expense of a handful (4 I think) in the Movie Library. I have a feeling more space has been given out to TV shows too.

Remember it's only recently that the old 12 channel loop system has been replaced.
I'll correct you on these errors as I know from my flights on 744s over the last 6 years that a) Movie library had 4 pages of films, not just 4 more than they presently do. In those 6 years all 744s have always had AVOD. 6 years isn't recent in technology, it's ancient history, it's just that BA haven't figured this out yet.

I'm with the OP on this as I said on a previous thread myself. The standard has gone down. There's too much american 'comedy' on there, and while its all very well having new releases, it would be great to have more of the classic movies.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 4:20 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by SteveF
No, but I do want to watch any new movie that I fancy on my own projector.
Chances are airline IFE is not going to be for you then.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 5:18 am

Programs: ABBA
Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
I'll correct you on these errors as I know from my flights on 744s over the last 6 years that a) Movie library had 4 pages of films, not just 4 more than they presently do. In those 6 years all 744s have always had AVOD. 6 years isn't recent in technology, it's ancient history, it's just that BA haven't figured this out yet.

I'm with the OP on this as I said on a previous thread myself. The standard has gone down. There's too much american 'comedy' on there, and while its all very well having new releases, it would be great to have more of the classic movies.
Yes, and while the movie library had 4 pages, and new releases had 2 pages, that was in the past it no longer is skewed that way. It's now 5 pages of new releases and 1 page of movie library.

The same number of minutes of IFE are available on the 747 now as there were in 2010.

Installing and upgrading equipment in planes is not the same as "lashing up a new hard drive".

Your subjective view is that standards have gone down hill. Many people think the opposite. You would prefer fewer new films, which is fine. Most people wouldn't. I'd never have a chance to watch At Worlds End unless I did it on a plane.

Some people like crap like steptoe and son, or only fools and horses. Fortunately a dying breed. The Big Bang Theory pulled in 3.3 million viewers on E4 alone - which obviously excludes older generations that haven't grasped the idea of having more than 3 channels.

BA are catering to the majority who want to watch something new (and unlike that overhyped 80's junk, something funny)
Old Dec 3, 2013, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
For anyone who's frustrated by the movies, whatever the position is now or may have been in the past, I'd recommend spending some time browsing the music selections - especially on the Thales system.

I don't know if this will necessarily carry through to all genres, but I have found some unexpected gems over the years in the "Opera" section (which really has as about as much non-opera vocal as it does opera) - stuff that's been much more interesting than any of the movies.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 5:36 am

Hello

Just back from London - NYC and noticed had a greater film selection on the return leg than outbound.

We were seated in CW outbound (Newark) and returned in WT+ (JFK) does that make a difference?

Were on 777 both ways

P.S does anyone know how to change my name? would like to rename as Dreaming of Club - the poster formerly known as Dreaming of WT+ lol
Old Dec 3, 2013, 5:37 am

Yes, and while the movie library had 4 pages, and new releases had 2 pages, that was in the past it no longer is skewed that way. It's now 5 pages of new releases and 1 page of movie library.

The same number of minutes of IFE are available on the 747 now as there were in 2010.

Installing and upgrading equipment in planes is not the same as "lashing up a new hard drive".

Your subjective view is that standards have gone down hill. Many people think the opposite. You would prefer fewer new films, which is fine. Most people wouldn't. I'd never have a chance to watch At Worlds End unless I did it on a plane.

Some people like crap like steptoe and son, or only fools and horses. Fortunately a dying breed. The Big Bang Theory pulled in 3.3 million viewers on E4 alone - which obviously excludes older generations that haven't grasped the idea of having more than 3 channels.

BA are catering to the majority who want to watch something new (and unlike that overhyped 80's junk, something funny)
Indeed, I suspect they are very much responding to demand as opposed to catering to some outdated view of the British Airways passenger.

With new IFE systems you would hope its just a case of upping the storage capacity (and obviously paying the additional licensing) there should be no other technological boundaries to the amount of content that can be stored.

I suspect BA may be skimping on the licensing as opposed to not having the space
Old Dec 3, 2013, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Dreaming of WT+
P.S does anyone know how to change my name? would like to rename as Dreaming of Club - the poster formerly known as Dreaming of WT+ lol
Long user-names screw up the pagination!!

Anyway, you could PM a Mod to ask if they will change it (to the short version) and put the "Formerly ..." in your signature.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 5:51 am

Hello

Just back from London - NYC and noticed had a greater film selection on the return leg than outbound.

We were seated in CW outbound (Newark) and returned in WT+ (JFK) does that make a difference?

Were on 777 both ways

Did you have the new WT+ cabin and a different interface for the IFE?

If so you were on an aircraft equipped with the new system on the way back
Old Dec 3, 2013, 6:15 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
went out to LAS and back from LAX in October, and the choice I felt was absolutely nothing, compared with the great selection on QF on these longish flights people do like to watch some interesting stuff, I realise there are a lot of people who load up their I pads, but that of course takes up space, albeit they can be deleted, but when flying it is nice to be able to watch a bigger screen and have lots of choices. Have upcoming LHR - SYD in Feb on both the 744 and 777 so hope things may have improved then, otherwise will just hit the pillow^
Old Dec 3, 2013, 7:34 am

Programs: BA, Marriott, Hertz, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
Anyone who can't find 2 films out if the current batch to watch, either doesn't know enough about film or watches too many and has seen them all already!
Or as previously mentioned, you'd rather watch it on a decent screen, in HD, surrounded by speakers.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 10:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold

Sorry. Not at all. November was absolutely cracking.

I even asked the CSD if we could go the long way round to ORD as 2 x 7 hours just wasn't enough to catch up on what I'd missed at the flicks.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by T8191
Long user-names screw up the pagination!!

Anyway, you could PM a Mod to ask if they will change it (to the short version) and put the "Formerly ..." in your signature.
Ha ha short version..? All or nothing for me.. only kidding - thanks

Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
Did you have the new WT+ cabin and a different interface for the IFE?

If so you were on an aircraft equipped with the new system on the way back
Yes - it was the new WT there and back though - so that means on a 777 the films in WT+ are better than CW? As we had the older system in CW on the way out
Old Dec 3, 2013, 10:29 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum

Only fools had viewing figures of 10+ million. I remember 4 pages of new releases and 4 pages of Movie Library.

Why is your subjective view right and mine wrong?

I'm sure you don't mean to be as arrogant as this comes across as.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
<snip>

I will hope that was tongue in cheek, but if its any comfort I will be dead in a few years. That will also free up Lounge space, seats in CW/CE, and make the queues move faster as my Zimmer won't get caught up in the machinery. I shall miss colour TV, though - what an innovation.

Now do, please, be careful how you express yourself. Some of us here are old enough to shave.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 10:47 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
UncleT is correct that a sweetly worded note to a Mod of your choice may have the desired effect.

However, would it not make sense to think ahead and go for Dreaming of First to avoid a future upgrade request?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.