Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Is the movie selection getting worse on BA ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is the movie selection getting worse on BA ?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2013, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by stevie
TV series as offered by BA are a major mistake. Take CX, I had a long haul flight and had heard the comedy Veep was good. The whole series was on offer so I started at espisode one and enjoyed working my way through it. BA always offers episodes 4/5 of season 4 or the like. Useless.
It becomes even more annoying when they do offer one episode (45 minutes or so) of an TV serie that has been running for years, plus that that one episode that they have loaded is the first part of a two-parter Come on, they should do better than that!
Old Dec 2, 2013, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by stevie
TV series as offered by BA are a major mistake. Take CX, I had a long haul flight and had heard the comedy Veep was good. The whole series was on offer so I started at espisode one and enjoyed working my way through it. BA always offers episodes 4/5 of season 4 or the like. Useless.
Good point, if its something I have never watched I would like to start from S1 E1. Curious to know how BA picks their entertainment.

6F watched them all on Netflix, slighlty 2 much in 1 go (3-4 episodes a day) still good
Old Dec 2, 2013, 6:28 pm

Programs: Mucci; BA, LT GGL; QF, platinum; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Yahillwe
YESSSSSS. my last flight, there was nothing that I wanted to watch.

Am dreading my return and maybe I will just take something to sleep.
I agree, there are many flights that I think, I'll watch a movie during the meal service, before working/sleeping depending on route and then don't find one I want to watch. They seem to change less frequently and the ratio of science fiction/stupid comedy to drama/thrillers seems to have risen exponentially.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 12:19 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Anyone who can't find 2 films out if the current batch to watch, either doesn't know enough about film or watches too many and has seen them all already!
Old Dec 3, 2013, 12:26 am

Programs: BAEC GCH, CXMP Gold, Amex Plat, HH Gold, Accor Plat, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
Anyone who can't find 2 films out if the current batch to watch, either doesn't know enough about film or watches too many and has seen them all already!
I'm with you on that. I just checked out the selection for my upcoming flight, several I want to watch.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 1:09 am

Programs: QF BAEC [Gold]
On my recent return from LAX (on old 747), the choice of New Releases was not unreasonable - aside from the fact that I had seen the ones that looked interesting on the outbound sector.

There were only 4 or 5 under the other heading of "Movie Classics" (or words to that effect). So overall quite a limited choice.

In my case , all rather academic as the headphone socket was broken so no audio. Since I was in 28K (747 WT+) the seat location was preferable to moving to a middle seat on the off chance I might enjoy the IFE. Time to order an iPad or similar ?

Perhaps the loan of an iPad on board with a selection of films could be an enhancement for GCH ? I've been on QF internal 767 flights where there is one in every seat pocket to serve as the IFE.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 1:31 am

I never watch the IFE; the constant interruptions drive me mad. iPod and reading material are all I need. And a few drinks!
Old Dec 3, 2013, 1:32 am

Modern IFE systems should be able to fit 10x as much content as the largest of iPads

Could be an option on aircraft with older IFE though (as is the case on those Qantas flights I suspect), with a set of alternative content, padding out the main IFE choice
Old Dec 3, 2013, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Does the ex-bmi A321 have the same content as the A380? They're both Thales systems, although the A321 still contains a number of bmi references so they look different to most people.

I found enough on both systems to not need to use my fully loaded and ready iPad. As the A380 flights were to LAX it means that there's a decent amount of choice.

The reason I ask is because I did find more I wanted to watch on the A321 but as I travelled these in different months it might have just been I preferred the content in the month I used the A321.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 2:06 am

Or wants to watch them on a (much) larger screen.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 2:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA EXP
Modern IFE systems should be able to fit 10x as much content as the largest of iPads
Quite, you only have to see what some of the other airlines are offering on their IFE systems to know what is possible. My recent QR flights made me realise why I'd all but given up on BA's lame IFE offering - titchy screens with poor resolution together with a dismal choice of TV, audio and games (I don't tend to watch films on flights so can't comment on those).

It's certainly an eye-opener for me using a wider range of Oneworld airlines than I ever have before and with CX, QF, AA and some more QR flights coming up, the comparisons on this and other features of the product will certainly be interesting.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 2:40 am

Programs: Meh
Originally Posted by where2travel
Quite, you only have to see what some of the other airlines are offering on their IFE systems to know what is possible. My recent QR flights made me realise why I'd all but given up on BA's lame IFE offering - titchy screens with poor resolution together with a dismal choice of TV, audio and games (I don't tend to watch films on flights so can't comment on those).

It's certainly an eye-opener for me using a wider range of Oneworld airlines than I ever have before and with CX, QF, AA and some more QR flights coming up, the comparisons on this and other features of the product will certainly be interesting.
This is why I said BA is realitively poor IFE wise. Take a flight on most other airlines and you ask 'what is BA playing at'.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 2:45 am

Originally Posted by SteveF
Or wants to watch them on a (much) larger screen.
Fair point but you can't then blame that on the airlines, unless you want to go back to projectors at the front of the cabin!

Last edited by Cap'n Benj; Dec 3, 2013 at 2:57 am
Old Dec 3, 2013, 2:48 am

Originally Posted by where2travel

The Thales system is a massive improvement over the older systems, its puts BA on a par with the screens of other Airlines

Content-wise, whilst again a big step up, it still doesn't offer close to what other airlines can manage though, it does seem like a missed trick, although surely with modern systems you'd hope it is just a question of lashing in a bigger hard drive at some point in the future.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 3:48 am

Fair point but you can't then blame that on the airlines, unless you want to go back to projectors at the front of the cabin!
No, but I do want to watch any new movie that I fancy on my own projector.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.