Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Travelling with car seat, stroller etc. Suggestions...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2013, 4:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Flying Blue Platinum, Hilton Diamond
We've only done SH with our baby but just booked 2 LH flights for 2014 to NYC (when she'll be 13 months old) and MRU (when she'll be 15 months old).

I just assumed, until recently, that all children under 2 years old would fit into a bassinet. Now I'm already realizing that this is unlikely.

So if we have a bassinet position on the flight, what do you recommend we do?
a) Can we bring our own car seat and attach this to the bassinet table?
b) What can BA offer (And what should we accept) to connect to a bassinet table for a 13mth or 15mth old baby?

Don't really want to have her on my lap the whole journey but completely naive to what our options are now she's actually getting bigger and no longer willing to lie down and not move anymore!

thanks
Old Dec 8, 2013, 5:10 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by silonic
We've only done SH with our baby but just booked 2 LH flights for 2014 to NYC (when she'll be 13 months old) and MRU (when she'll be 15 months old).

I just assumed, until recently, that all children under 2 years old would fit into a bassinet. Now I'm already realizing that this is unlikely.

So if we have a bassinet position on the flight, what do you recommend we do?
a) Can we bring our own car seat and attach this to the bassinet table?
b) What can BA offer (And what should we accept) to connect to a bassinet table for a 13mth or 15mth old baby?

Don't really want to have her on my lap the whole journey but completely naive to what our options are now she's actually getting bigger and no longer willing to lie down and not move anymore!

thanks
From ba.com

[U]Carrycots and child seats supplied by us[/U]
Carrycots
For your baby's comfort, we have specially designed carrycots on board, so that your baby can sleep during the flight.
To reserve a carrycot, you just need to book a seat in advance at a carrycot position on the aircraft. Carrycots are free of charge, but subject to availability. You'll see the carrycot positions on the seat map in Manage My Booking. If you don't choose a seat in advance, we'll allocate a suitable seat for you three days before departure, but this might not be at a carrycot position.
Please note: Due to operational reasons, sometimes we will not be able to guarantee the carrycot that you reserved.

Child seats
We can also supply a child seat that attaches to the carrycot position. If you have reserved your seat at a carrycot position, you can ask the cabin crew for a child seat.
The child seats supplied by us are:
  • available on all longhaul flights, except in First Class on Boeing 777 aircraft, where only carrycots are supplied
  • suitable to be used from birth to two years, for infants who weigh no more than 13kgs (29lbs)
  • adjustable to a variety of positions from horizontal to vertical

You can only use a car seat when you are buying a seat for the infant. You can find more information about flying with an infant here, when and where you can use your own car seat.

http://www.britishairways.com/en-us/...g-ready-to-fly
Old Dec 22, 2013, 4:20 am
Original Poster

So, all ready to go now pretty much. Shame the forecast is dire for tomorrow night - it's necessitating some additional planning in case we're delayed :-/

Do 747's take off in 100km/h gusts...?

BA.com are having fun with the seating plan too - it's come up 74I, which I assumed meant old First - until the cot appeared in row 5.

Then today, the cot has gone completely - not in 1K or 5. Hopefully it will appear at T24 as this is creating a bit of a headache with selecting seats.

Have informed YouFirst that I would like the cot position, but of course if someone is in it, without a baby, it's their choice if they want to move.

Ah well, whatever will be will be
Old Dec 22, 2013, 5:38 am
09R

What did you decide to do re stroller? I can assemble/disassemble my bugaboo Cameroon in 5 mins so gonna take it to the gate for my flight later today
Old Dec 22, 2013, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Online check-in now open and still no cot in either 1 or 5.
Is that normal?

Perhaps BA themselves don't know which plane it'll be
Old Aug 16, 2014, 2:07 pm

Programs: BA (Gold), Flying Blue (Gold), Virgin (Gold)
Hello everyone,

Sorry if I've missed this but can anyone recommend specific front facing car seats that they have personally used on planes?

Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 17, 2014, 3:07 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, Le Club Accor Gold
I haven't personally used it but if you're UK based the only one that appears to be sold overhere that is forward facing and could be used on a plane is the Britax Eclipse
Old Aug 18, 2014, 4:31 am

Programs: BA (Gold), Flying Blue (Gold), Virgin (Gold)
Thanks Fredandgingermad
Old Aug 19, 2014, 5:34 pm

My wife and I are heading out to Barcelona in a few weeks. We will have our baby with us and plan to bring a car seat (a Maxi-Cosi Pebble). As we're in CE we'll have the spare seat between us.
Will the car seat be allowed to be used there or will we have to check it in?

We've also got a Bugaboo Bee pushchair. We'll put the seat into a suitcase but would like to take the frame with us. Will this fit into the overhead lockers? I'm again assuming there will be space in CE but need to make sure it will fit.

*Edit* Just seen the link above so not looking so likely for the car seat on the plane. I take it they're too big for the overhead lockers. Might have to invest in some suitable bags.

Last edited by ppp909; Aug 19, 2014 at 5:40 pm
Old Aug 19, 2014, 11:04 pm
Original Poster

Pebble will have to be checked in. Though Maxi-cosi say it's flight safe, BA won't let you use it. We used this bag, which I would recommended though ours has now given up the ghost after 6 flights (but baby is out of the Pebble now anyway):
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I wouldn't have thought the bug will fit in the overhead - CE overheads aren't terribly generous.

When we went away, the post that started this thread, in the end we didn't take a stroller and just used a sling. It was much easier and we did the same when we went to Antigua earlier this year. We do have a Quinny Zap, which would fit in the lockers, but just didn't need it.

Can you do the same?
Old Aug 20, 2014, 5:13 am

I'm considering it, but I'm hoping that she would fall asleep in the pushchair when we're having lunch or dinner somewhere (in reality she'll scream her head off until she's fed). We need the car seat though as we need to get from Barcelona up to the Costa Brava, and plan to do some travelling around. That and the cab to the airport.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 8:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ppp909
I'm considering it, but I'm hoping that she would fall asleep in the pushchair when we're having lunch or dinner somewhere (in reality she'll scream her head off until she's fed). We need the car seat though as we need to get from Barcelona up to the Costa Brava, and plan to do some travelling around. That and the cab to the airport.
Car seat definitely - the handy thing about putting it in an outer bag is you can stick towels, nappies, soft stuff etc in there as well. Don't put anything too valuable though in case the zip goes - which is what happened on our last (shortest) leg.

The pebble is pretty robust and I had no reservations about checking it in, other than it might not turn up at the other end - but a plan can be made if that happens.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 1:41 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
So we are off to Italy soon for a wedding and Miss BahrainLad is accompanying us at the tender age of 8 weeks...

Our current home kit is Maxi Cosi Pebble, and a Bugaboo Chameleon 3 with the bassinet. We attach the Pebble to the Bugaboo frame quite a lot as Miss B likes to look out of the seat when being pushed around.

We'd like to take the frame + Pebble with us, what would people recommend is the best course of action? I was thinking

1. check in Pebble with top handle pushed back, straps tied etc
2. check in frame either masking taped up to stop it opening or buy a cheap carry bag (does anyone recommend one?)
3. take Miss B though the airport using the Baby Bjorn

Oh yes and we are Gold / Silver travelling in CE so presumably taking lots of luggage won't be a problem?
Old Jun 16, 2017, 1:45 am
Original Poster

3) as the primary choice.

The pebble will travel fine in the hold in a bag. The stroller however may not and the you run the risk of it being broken when you need it.

At 8 weeks. I would take full advantage of being able to use a sling.

If if you do check them in, do have a plan B just in case they don't arrive with you at your destination!
Old Jun 16, 2017, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Congratulations on Miss BahrainLad, I didn't even know that you could get it up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.