Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Travelling with car seat, stroller etc. Suggestions...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travelling with car seat, stroller etc. Suggestions...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2013, 6:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
I've just looked and it's massive - it's nearly a metre long when folded so there's no way you're going to get that past a gate agent.

(I'm seeing 96cms for the Xtra vs 69cms for the Zapp).
If you take the wheels off they're both 65 but yes 25cm difference when 'complete'.

Thanks for the other suggestions.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Ah, so that might not be so bad.

To get the Quinny Zapp into the bag, you have to take the front wheel off - a very easy process when you know what you're doing, but it still has to be done so the Xtra might be OK.

I think the wheel stays on the Petit Star when folded into the bag.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 6:35 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
I'm going to be experiencing this for the first time in January (LHR-BCN). I'm planning to check in the seat and pram, and use the baby carrier in the airport.

Would BA have a problem with me putting the pram (iCandy Apple) in it's original box which is a tight fit; seems a bit pointless and less-effective buying a bag. And finding a tight-fitting box for the Pebble too?
Old Nov 6, 2013, 9:21 pm

Programs: BA Blue, VS Silver
Originally Posted by DWB1873
How did you transport the baby once checked in - so through the airport and while waiting to board? I am considering using the sling, however again quite hot for both parties after awhile and no where to lay him down. Well not true, there is always a seat/the floor - the idea of using the buggy seems easier but a good point about the wait times.
I've only just seen your thread, not sure if you've done your trip yet.

I agree with inkiboo, when J5a Jr was around 3 months, we just checked the Bugaboo and car seat in and then I used a Baby Bjorn, much more practical before/during flight. He/she can sleep well on your chest. I would often been seen on flights pacing up and down the aisle (while reading the Times on my tablet) getting him to sleep.

re: Bugaboo, it's a large pram to take abroad, especially when you use the official bugaboo transporter bag, it's huge! When Jr was old enough (future tip) we bought a cheapo pram (for around £25) for travelling with.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by jonnykanzen
We are travelling to PER (via SIN) with our 4-6 week old (still not born!) and thanks to this board its in a combo of J and F.

Just wondering if BA are more lenient in taking stroller/carseat on board when travelling in a premium cabin?

For the record, my wife chose the Chameleon 3 (most impractical buggy I've ever seen but hey!) and maxi cosi car seat.

We are also not so sure what to do/what to take on board. Any recommendations from anyone?

Thanks!
You can't take the stroller, especially if it's a bugaboo, it's just big, if at the destination you will be getting a car and the streets are good enough to take a pram, then buy the transporter bag for the bugaboo, you can get them on ebay for around £50/60, I bought mine from ebay.

Check-in the car seat.

If the destination is not stroller friendly rethink if it's worth taking it. We went to Tbilisi with the Bugaboo, it left the hotel for 5 minutes and went back in again. We never used it again for the trip.

A child carrier like a Baby Bjorn is the way to go, for several reasons, they love the closeness of being next to your chest, they sleep very quickly, great for comforting when they're crying etc. once fast asleep you can get the baby out and place them in cot etc...
Old Nov 6, 2013, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by inkiboo
To add, we put our Chameleon 3 in the hold using the Bugaboo travel bag and had no issues at all. Also, given a car seat is designed to withstand a crash, I'm sure it can survive BA's baggage handlers.
We used the bag too, useful for adding extra nappies etc.. into the transporter bag, weight not too important on BA but when flying EZ all so important.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by pauldb
I'm going to be experiencing this for the first time in January (LHR-BCN). I'm planning to check in the seat and pram, and use the baby carrier in the airport.

Would BA have a problem with me putting the pram (iCandy Apple) in it's original box which is a tight fit; seems a bit pointless and less-effective buying a bag. And finding a tight-fitting box for the Pebble too?
Don't worry about size - this is our packed bugaboo before we went to the airport

Old Nov 7, 2013, 3:36 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
We use the Bugaboo case (as in the photo above) and check it in. We also pack a buggy board in the same bag, so there's plenty of room.

When we just had one child, though, as soon as she was toddling we bought a cheap stroller that folds to nothing to and got them to ticket it as hold, but we took it to the gate. That way it comes off with the luggage on the belt and you're not waiting at the door of the aircraft for it when you land.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 3:41 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by johnny5a
Don't worry about size - this is our packed bugaboo before we went to the airport
Thanks - that is massive. At least the iCandy will fit in the hire car at the other end, and we can take some luggage for ourselves too!
Old Nov 7, 2013, 3:45 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Thanks - that is massive. At least the iCandy will fit in the hire car at the other end, and we can take some luggage for ourselves too!
We've had the iCandy and the Bugaboo, and the Bugaboo is smaller and lighter. It just looks huge there as there is a lot of padding in the carry case to stop it getting smashed about by the Throwers.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 5:01 am

Yes it does look big but we fitted it in the front footwell/seat of a Corsa no problem.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 8:25 am

Programs: Freedom of speech
xxxxx

Last edited by PeasantGate; May 27, 2014 at 12:42 am
Old Nov 8, 2013, 12:22 am
Original Poster

Came home yesterday to find my wife had managed to source a second hand Zapp in good nick for £30! I feel bad now as I didn't think she'd been listening to me going on about all the options

I see what Swiss Tony was saying - it's tiny compared to the Bug and I can definitely see how that is allowed in an overhead. It's smaller than a lot of bags I've seen people carrying. Considering the near 1:1 overhead to passenger ratio in F, plus the wardrobes, I think we'll be fine.

All moved on now - a cot has been sourced in JNB so don't need the travel cot. Car seat will be checked in as per the suggestions on here. Passport arrived a few days ago - and relax.

Now to see if BA can sort out the seat allocations on the day so we can use a cot, though TBH if we have to take shifts of having him sleep on us, there are worse places to do it than in F.

Cue an indignant post from someone on here on 24/12 about how a F seat allocation was altered and for a Family!

Thanks again to everyone for their comments and assistance.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 1:12 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Kind of on thread....ive been reading this tread with interest. Baby C was due Mon this week so he'll be here soon (I hope)....we have a either a crazy idea or not a bad idea if anyone is able to help.

Were thinking of burning a bunch of avios to fly to Dubai in F around March time. Baby will be around 4 months old. We have a maxi cosi cabriofix and iso fix base. We have an uppbaby vista pushchair.

We thought that since he will be small we could enjoy our first F flights more than when he is older/toddling etc. Are we insane? It sounds like a fun idea but im now thinking a) I really want to experience the CCR etc while we can afford it but at the same time i really dont want to be one of those parents labelled on FT why take a baby thats crying in there etc its outrageous b) Do we need to take the pram? Probably not by the sounds of this, maybe buy a cheapie just for travelling. c) We have a sling so im thinking that might be the best way rather than car seat for carrying, trouble is what do we do in Dubai at the airport getting to hotel/around if we dont take the car seat? d) Are we going to get evil eyes in the F cabin if he starts to cry? Thought window seats might be better and can he sit on Mrs C's (or mine) for takeoff/landing. Not sure as never flown F before.

The holiday is to really enjoy some sun, not do much in the way of travelling/sightseeing obviously...so in terms of walking around a cheapie pram will do the job. Im just not sure what to take. Ive talked to lots of other people at work and everyone seems to be on the same line of dont take a full size pram at £700 it will get wrecked along the way....
Old Nov 8, 2013, 2:07 am

Originally Posted by chiefwiggumpi
Kind of on thread....ive been reading this tread with interest. Baby C was due Mon this week so he'll be here soon (I hope)....we have a either a crazy idea or not a bad idea if anyone is able to help.

Were thinking of burning a bunch of avios to fly to Dubai in F around March time. Baby will be around 4 months old. We have a maxi cosi cabriofix and iso fix base. We have an uppbaby vista pushchair.

We thought that since he will be small we could enjoy our first F flights more than when he is older/toddling etc. Are we insane? It sounds like a fun idea but im now thinking a) I really want to experience the CCR etc while we can afford it but at the same time i really dont want to be one of those parents labelled on FT why take a baby thats crying in there etc its outrageous b) Do we need to take the pram? Probably not by the sounds of this, maybe buy a cheapie just for travelling. c) We have a sling so im thinking that might be the best way rather than car seat for carrying, trouble is what do we do in Dubai at the airport getting to hotel/around if we dont take the car seat? d) Are we going to get evil eyes in the F cabin if he starts to cry? Thought window seats might be better and can he sit on Mrs C's (or mine) for takeoff/landing. Not sure as never flown F before.

The holiday is to really enjoy some sun, not do much in the way of travelling/sightseeing obviously...so in terms of walking around a cheapie pram will do the job. Im just not sure what to take. Ive talked to lots of other people at work and everyone seems to be on the same line of dont take a full size pram at £700 it will get wrecked along the way....
Ok... Here's my 2 pence...

Don't worry about taking your kids into F. So long as you're a conscientious parent who doesn't leave him screaming whilst you're sat drinking champagne with your Bose on; there's no cause for complaint. Anyone who does take issue with it despite the fact you're clearly doing your best to control everything can (if you'll excuse the crude portmanteau) go fumselves.

I've taken a 3 month old and a 3 year old onto a flight in F, and there were no issues at all. The crew were fantastic, and having a seat for my 3yr old meant they could top and tail when it was time for bed. Ultimately even without that luxury, sharing an F seat with a 3 month old shouldn't be too much of a hardship.

The car seat/pram issue is a little trickier. Your obvious choice is to take a pram which the car seat can fit onto. This save you having to drag it around with you when you go out. Just buy a case for the pram for when it goes in the hold. Our Bugaboo has been on 3 LH BA flights without incident; though we do take a cheap-o stroller when flying on the Orange Peril.

The taxi from the airport in DXB will provide a car seat if you prebook it (probably even if you don't), but after that you'll be travelling with Baby C on your lap (I know how that sounds, but it's how it's done over there). Having a pram with adapters for the car seat would remove this issue.

The other option is to hire a car. They are dirt cheap over there, and that was you can always have the car seat in it (or just hire one of those too) and even if you only use it 3 or 4 times over the week, it's probably still cost effective. You will need an International Driver's Licence, but these are easily obtained from the Post Office.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.