Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Travelling with car seat, stroller etc. Suggestions...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travelling with car seat, stroller etc. Suggestions...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2013, 2:58 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
Ok... Here's my 2 pence...

Don't worry about taking your kids into F. So long as you're a conscientious parent who doesn't leave him screaming whilst you're sat drinking champagne with your Bose on; there's no cause for complaint. Anyone who does take issue with it despite the fact you're clearly doing your best to control everything can (if you'll excuse the crude portmanteau) go fumselves.

I've taken a 3 month old and a 3 year old onto a flight in F, and there were no issues at all. The crew were fantastic, and having a seat for my 3yr old meant they could top and tail when it was time for bed. Ultimately even without that luxury, sharing an F seat with a 3 month old shouldn't be too much of a hardship.

The car seat/pram issue is a little trickier. Your obvious choice is to take a pram which the car seat can fit onto. This save you having to drag it around with you when you go out. Just buy a case for the pram for when it goes in the hold. Our Bugaboo has been on 3 LH BA flights without incident; though we do take a cheap-o stroller when flying on the Orange Peril.

The taxi from the airport in DXB will provide a car seat if you prebook it (probably even if you don't), but after that you'll be travelling with Baby C on your lap (I know how that sounds, but it's how it's done over there). Having a pram with adapters for the car seat would remove this issue.

The other option is to hire a car. They are dirt cheap over there, and that was you can always have the car seat in it (or just hire one of those too) and even if you only use it 3 or 4 times over the week, it's probably still cost effective. You will need an International Driver's Licence, but these are easily obtained from the Post Office.
Thanks wozza!

As you can tell i (i wont say we!) havent got a clue about travelling with a little one. I completely understand about the parenting bit. We are firmly in the do our best and consider other pax camp, i was just concious that people expect some privacy and quiet i assume to work or relax paying (or not) a lot of money, and theres us with (hopefully not) a baby that may make a bit of noise. We just thought as he will be tiny, not moving about much it might make for an easier experience all round as opposed to when he might be toddling/walking.

As for the pram thing....this is our current system with car seat and base.

http://www.paulstride.co.uk/uppababy...26-398918-.php

Are you suggesting taking the carrycot or not all?

I was thinking the car seat, pram base all the way to the gate or again should we pack them up at check in and just use a sling through the airport?

The car seat needs the base using isofix. It weighs a ton but again should we check this on arrival, then when we arrive we have car seat, base and pram base all set to go?

Sorry for the thicko questions....
Old Nov 8, 2013, 3:42 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
That's a Maxi Cosi Cabriofix car seat, which can be installed using the seat belt; it doesn't need the isofix base. Don't take an isofix base with you unless you're renting a car; what are you going to do with it whilst you're shopping/whatever?

I'd say get a bag for your pram and check it in along with the car seat. From check in to the CCR is about 100 paces, so we never bother taking the pram with us to the gate.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 4:05 am
09R

Some very useful info in this thread so thanks guys.

I have a 3hr stoppover so think it may be worth taking the pram to the gate. Does it really take that long for them to give it back to you??

What do they actually give you onboard for the baby to sleep in F?
Old Nov 8, 2013, 4:48 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by jonnykanzen

There are bassinet seats in F. Whether you use them or not is another matter. My wife prefers to put her seat into a bed for baby and then come and sit with me to eat and watch a film.

Once we had two children, we had a separate seat for the two of them to share.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 11:26 pm

Programs: BA Blue, VS Silver
Originally Posted by DWB1873
Now to see if BA can sort out the seat allocations on the day so we can use a cot, though TBH if we have to take shifts of having him sleep on us, there are worse places to do it than in F.
one final thought, this happened to us while we were flying to MRU, if the baby is sleeping on a cot/bassinet and you run into some turbulence, seatbelt lights come on, you have to pick them up and strap them to yourself each time. Each time this happened (about 3 times) we picked up Jr he woke up, so in the end I just left him sleeping on my chest, didn't bother putting him back in bassinet.

Good luck with the flight, it'll be fine.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 11:31 pm

Programs: BA Blue, VS Silver
Originally Posted by jonnykanzen
They'll either give you a cot (where they can lie down) or a reclined seat (they sit slightly reclined)

Images of BA bassinets - Google
Old Nov 9, 2013, 1:47 am

Programs: Mucci des Epices Exotiques, BAEC Gold,EK Gold,SPG,Marriott,Club Carlson
I spotted someone at EMA (I think) with a child in a forward facing child seat that he clearly planned to take on board, wheeling it around the terminal on one of those small collapsible luggage trolleys. I thought this was a great idea. Easy to transport both child and car seat and the little one was loving it!
Old Nov 9, 2013, 2:26 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, Le Club Accor Gold
Originally Posted by To Eat.To Drink
I spotted someone at EMA (I think) with a child in a forward facing child seat that he clearly planned to take on board, wheeling it around the terminal on one of those small collapsible luggage trolleys. I thought this was a great idea. Easy to transport both child and car seat and the little one was loving it!
That's great if you can get one, on BA its no good before a child is 6 months old
Old Nov 9, 2013, 9:37 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BA, Delta, SPG Gold, Priority Club
We've flown overseas a lot with our two kids (currently 2 and 1). I've always brought the full stroller to the gate either a double or a single and never had an issue (either UppaBaby Vista, Bumbleride Indie Twin or BabyJogger City Select). I would never consider travelling without the full stroller. At 5 months, we travelled and just brought the car seat attached to the stroller frame and checked both at the gate. We have a travel bag for the single pushchair that provides insurance in the event that damage is caused by the airline. We always bring an Ergo or something similar on board to carry the baby/toddler as well. We arrived at LHR once and were told they were unable to bring the stroller to the gate, which made a long trek with our luggage and the baby to customs. Now that the kids aren't infants, we check the car seat at check in, in one of their plastic bags and never had an issue.

Happy travels!
Old Nov 10, 2013, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by To Eat.To Drink

http://www.gogobabyz.com/product-i14...avelmate_.aspx

On shorter trips with children ~9-24 months, I've traveled with one of these in lieu of stroller/pram, and for use on both car and aircraft (pre my BA days). I was very happy with it.

http://www.gogobabyz.com/product-i14...age_Strap.aspx
This looks a little precarious but also potentially useful.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 5:16 am

Programs: BA Silver, SPG Gold, Amex Plat, BA Amex PP
I have just returned from a first short haul flight travelling with our 3 month old and we gate checked a Bugaboo Frog without any problems at LGW. I did buy on ebay the bugaboo carry case. At checkin the Tag is placed on the carry case. Once at the gate i dissasembled the Bugaboo and placed it in the carry case. By using the case the pushchair is better protected and is easier to handle. At BOD where we actually have to walk on to the tarmac to board the plane i again packed the pushchair at the base of the stairs leading to the aircraft where the baggage handlers are waiting. It really was a lot easier and painless than i imagined.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 6:05 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by chiefwiggumpi
As for the pram thing....this is our current system with car seat and base.

http://www.paulstride.co.uk/uppababy...26-398918-.php

Are you suggesting taking the carrycot or not all?

I was thinking the car seat, pram base all the way to the gate or again should we pack them up at check in and just use a sling through the airport?

The car seat needs the base using isofix. It weighs a ton but again should we check this on arrival, then when we arrive we have car seat, base and pram base all set to go?

Sorry for the thicko questions....
We haven't yet made a trip with ours, but as has been said you can use the cabriofix with just a seatbelt, no base.

Your baby won't yet be ready for pushchair seat, so you'd need a cheapie carrycot on wheels. As that probably won't take the carseat as additional flexibility, and you are unlikely to get more use from it beyond six months, I wouldn't buy one. Just take the Vista.

As to whether you need to take the Vista carrycot, I would think you can do without it in the airport but it depends on your needs in Dubai. If you plan to be out for more than a couple of hours at a time (too long for the carseat) it would be useful. It's also suitable for overnight sleeping; probably closer to your at-home arrangements than a hotel cot might be?
Old Nov 19, 2013, 9:59 am
09R

No Cot positions available

Made a booking with BA back in April and could only add an infant on now as he was just born!

However, no cot positions left! We are flying in J on a 744 Hi J and currently have 64JK reserved. BA said they won't allow us to bring on board our own cot but since we have a bulkhead seat they will put in a request for an extra cot for us.

Anyone been in this position?Any solutions?Little one will only be 7 weeks old and dont fancy holding him for 13 hrs!

Thanks!
Old Nov 19, 2013, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Hi jonnykanzen,
I would be very surprised in 14EF or 20EF have been taken, these are the cot positions on the main deck and the best to go for.
However 64A is a cot position and I don't think the customers in 64AB would be too bothered about changing to 64JK.
When you board, speak to the crew in your cabin and ask for your choice of the cot or the Britax car seat.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 10:47 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by pauldb
We haven't yet made a trip with ours, but as has been said you can use the cabriofix with just a seatbelt, no base.

Your baby won't yet be ready for pushchair seat, so you'd need a cheapie carrycot on wheels. As that probably won't take the carseat as additional flexibility, and you are unlikely to get more use from it beyond six months, I wouldn't buy one. Just take the Vista.

As to whether you need to take the Vista carrycot, I would think you can do without it in the airport but it depends on your needs in Dubai. If you plan to be out for more than a couple of hours at a time (too long for the carseat) it would be useful. It's also suitable for overnight sleeping; probably closer to your at-home arrangements than a hotel cot might be?
Thanks pauldb.

As babyc only arrived two days ago I best give it a week before I see how the land lies with mrs c and holidaying with baby c! After last night she might not see the positives of a holiday...

I see what you're saying I guess a lot depends on what we plan on doing when we decide we're to go. Last week I found good avaibility to sin on cx j to give us options from there onwards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.