Wiki Posts
Search

Seat Selection Nightmare

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2013, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SteveF
I just think that while some may just say "sorry, I'd rather stay here" and stick their headphones on, others may grudgingly say yes, especially if asked by an FA which could almost seem like an instruction, and end up in what they really consider an inferior seat.
Then people are weak! Joking!!!! I would ask in such a way that no one felt they had to move. I have refused requests before for middle seats. Would offer the aisle rather than middle. We will see what happens.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
This is interesting. This means that actually a lot of people have not got status or paid for seats, but a few hours before OLCI the system gives them a notional seat and then takes it off the planboard.

So I suspect there are quite a few people in WTP who are sub-optimally seated, and / or some early WT upgrades into that area. The latter will typically be singles, who end up in the middle seats, however if families or colleagues are on separate bookings they may also not like their new location or even the upgrade.

11K is a great seat to bargain with, so long as there isn't a screamer in 11J; less so 12E and 15B but some people would prefer that to 13E.

seacow - any more movement now that London OLCI is open?
No movement yet. Interesting thoughts though which if correct should give check in staff more options to move them
Old Oct 4, 2013, 10:22 am

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 2015 at 11:40 pm
Old Oct 4, 2013, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by seacow
Then people are weak! Joking!!!! I would ask in such a way that no one felt they had to move. I have refused requests before for middle seats. Would offer the aisle rather than middle. We will see what happens.
Good luck anyway and I hope you enjoy your trip. Please let us know the outcome however it turns out.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 10:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Aren't families assigned seats for free shortly before OLCI opens? That could explain the recent movement in the seat map.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Aren't families assigned seats for free shortly before OLCI opens?
No, it's three days before. So it wouldn't explain movement just before OLCI opens. I reckon that angatol's thought is more likely to be correct.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 10:58 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by angatol
Isn't it more likely they're people checking in from earlier connecting flights?
Yes, that's definitely possible, particularly if there is a large family or tour group, however seacow also had a few hours advantage too. Las Vegas is a more O&D (point to point) route than NYC or ORD or LAX, so I wouldn't expect that to explain the whole story. I think a lot of WT upgrades have happened already.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by rossmacd
Cannot agree more. The BA seating policy is great for Silvers, and even better for Golds.

I would be very annoyed if people on the cheap advance purchase fares are selecting the best seats for free in advance, when those booking later on much more expensive fares get shifted to the back of the cabin.
I happen to agree with you.

After a few decades travelling business and first when you had your pick of seats on a first come first served, it was a bit flummoxing when BA began charging for advance seat selection for premium tickets held by non-status folks.

But I quickly came to realize it was a pretty nice offer for me (now a non-status pleb due to being retired) to even be ABLE to reserve a seat at all--even for a fee. Because I'm a truly insignificant ant in the BA loyalty scheme. Repeat business gets BA's attention; not stumping up the cost of a CW two or three times a year.

But their seat fee at least gives one a choice, without status. Pay and reserve, or take pot luck.

But I know full well if I take pot luck I may end up in the worst seat in the cabin. because so many folks have status with BA and other OWs. So I deal in realities here, not what ifs and what maybes and oh other airlines don't do it this way. BA does. That's the deal.

As for folks who still try to "rely on the kindess of strangers" in their Blanche Dubois moments, it's becoming less likely folks will change seats.

I've been asked once or twice lately when it was clear folks took pot luck and didn't pay up for seat selection and didn't like their seats--so they were trying a bit of blagging.

I've found cabin crew to be very nice about this; I very quietly and politely say "I paid the seat selection fee this trip, so I'd really rather not change if that's all right." Unless it's a crisis, the cabin crew I've dealt with have been very nice and moved on.
Old Oct 5, 2013, 4:08 am

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
The other reason I never bought seats is I was hoping for an avios upgrade to come available which clearly it hasn't but always hoping!!
If you do buy reservations and an UuA becomes available, you can get your seat reservation fee refunded. Just fill out the form within 14 days of doing the UuA.
Old Oct 5, 2013, 4:11 am
Original Poster

Well at EDI and the flight is oversold so still no movement. Will try again at LHR.

I would be really surprised if the person next to my middle seat paid for it, especially 2 days before but you never know.

Lesson learned as I said before. This wasn't really about good or bad seats more seats together and stupidly I never thought we would be split up!! Older and wiser will see what happens down south.
Old Oct 5, 2013, 4:15 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Well at EDI and the flight is oversold so still no movement. Will try again at LHR.
Have a mull about whether you want to offer to go via Denver or JFK in return for a big bag of money....... You'd need to tell customer service by gate 15 in T5 if that was a go-er for you. There is W and (nudge nudge) J availability on both routings, however Denver to LAS is one class economy and get in at 21:38.
Old Oct 5, 2013, 4:34 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Have a mull about whether you want to offer to go via Denver or JFK in return for a big bag of money....... You'd need to tell customer service by gate 15 in T5 if that was a go-er for you. There is W and (nudge nudge) J availability on both routings, however Denver to LAS is one class economy and get in at 21:38.
And DEN immigration is usually a breeze compared to LAX.

Which airline connects to DEN-LAS with BA? I've always had to do DEN-LAX-LAS if staying with oneworld.
Old Oct 5, 2013, 4:40 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
And DEN immigration is usually a breeze compared to LAX.

Which airline connects to DEN-LAS with BA? I've always had to do DEN-LAX-LAS if staying with oneworld.
Frontier, which isn't oneworld, so indeed it's usually needs an irrop for BA to re-route on to that, but if they looking at a lot of involuntary denied boarding they may respond to the suggestion. DEN is better than LAS too for customs and immigration; JFK perhaps not as good.
Old Oct 5, 2013, 11:37 pm
Original Poster

Hey guys. Well it all worked out fine. The guy next to me didn't care less where he sat, had a few drinks as well but worked out fine. Just watching fountains at bellagio in the room!! Thanks for all the tips along the way. Flight was good but highlife went on fritz twice in the first couple of hours. Grrrrr
Old Oct 5, 2013, 11:58 pm

Hey guys. Well it all worked out fine. The guy next to me didn't care less where he sat, had a few drinks as well but worked out fine. Just watching fountains at bellagio in the room!! Thanks for all the tips along the way. Flight was good but highlife went on fritz twice in the first couple of hours. Grrrrr
Welcome to Vegas, I hope you have a great time there and I'm so pleased it worked out for you, dodgy IFE or not (though two meltdowns in 9 hours is probably par for the course). And enjoy the anniversary....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.