Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat Selection Nightmare

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2013, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by rossmacd
Cannot agree more. The BA seating policy is great for Silvers, and even better for Golds.

I would be very annoyed if people on the cheap advance purchase fares are selecting the best seats for free in advance, when those booking later on much more expensive fares get shifted to the back of the cabin.
I have no problem with status passengers getting the first pick of the better seats. But the idea that non-status people have to pay to ensure they are sat next to someone on the same booking is, well, a bit Ryanair.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by KenJohn
If the seats have already been taken, it would mean
a) other passengers have paid for their seats
b) have status and selected their seats.
In BA's new world, it is not easy to get other passengers to move either on-board or at check-in.

Clearly if you have paid for your seat, you would not take kindly to being asked to move by on-board crew or by other passengers. If BA moved you, they would loose revenue by having to refund for the seat charge.

A status passenger might listen but a true FF is likely to have selected their favourite seat and would also be unlikely to move. In fact, BA current scheme allows anyone to reply "I've paid for this seat" and no one is the wiser.
I agree. If, as suggested, the flight is rammed in all classes and there are no moves forward and no pairs in WT+ then there will be nothing that can be done at the check-in desk; staff cannot/will not forcibly move passengers to accommodate a couple.

Regarding asking another passenger to move seats, this thread discusses this very issue. Personally I wouldn't ask another passenger (or ask an FA to ask them) to move to avoid any embarrassment (yours and/or the other passenger's). Put it down to experience.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 9:33 am

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 2015 at 9:59 pm
Old Oct 4, 2013, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by 1apreferably
Two of us are booked IAD/LHR in WT+ using miles as club is not available. If I buy seats together and business subsequently opens will my money transfer or do I need to pay again?
I did the same on my last IAD/LHR flight when I was still a blue. Paid for WT+ seat selection which cost something like £20 or £30. Upgraded to CW with Avios about 4 days before the flight and was able to select seats in CW cabin but had to pay the difference between a WT+ fee and the £50 CW fee.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SteveF
I agree. If, as suggested, the flight is rammed in all classes and there are no moves forward and no pairs in WT+ then there will be nothing that can be done at the check-in desk; staff cannot/will not forcibly move passengers to accommodate a couple.

Regarding asking another passenger to move seats, this thread discusses this very issue. Personally I wouldn't ask another passenger (or ask an FA to ask them) to move to avoid any embarrassment (yours and/or the other passenger's). Put it down to experience.
Yeah I think its pretty much a full flight all the way up front so not expecting any moves forward although I guess there could be no shows - will ask where ever we can nicely.

I have no problem asking anyone if they would mind moving - they are free to say no don't see why anyone would be embarassed? The way the seats are spread must be singles and would be surprised if they were chosen as favourite seats - its a bit strange how they all went yesterday though as I was checking all week and the cabin was 2/3's unselected. I don't see why someone in an aisle as a single wouldn't swap for another aisle unless they are part of a group of 3 with the 2 by the window - but they will tell me tomorrow I am sure!!
Old Oct 4, 2013, 9:35 am
Original Poster

The other reason I never bought seats is I was hoping for an avios upgrade to come available which clearly it hasn't but always hoping!!
Old Oct 4, 2013, 9:37 am

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 2015 at 5:23 pm
Old Oct 4, 2013, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by angatol
RIght, but if they check-in now and don't retrieve/print BP, they can still move seats if two together open up.
Sorry to mention a potential fly in the ointment, but does this apply even to Blues? In the back of my mind is a distant recollection that changing seats after OLCI (but before printing a BP) is only available to Golds and Silvers. Has this changed? Does it now include Bronzes? Blues?
Old Oct 4, 2013, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Sorry to mention a potential fly in the ointment, but does this apply even to Blues? In the back of my mind is a distant recollection that changing seats after OLCI (but before printing a BP) is only available to Golds and Silvers. Has this changed? Does it now include Bronzes? Blues?
I can still do - there are 2 other seperate seats available and I can swap for them now even though I am checked in so assume same will be true if others open up this evening!
Old Oct 4, 2013, 9:43 am

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 1:06 am
Old Oct 4, 2013, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by angatol
I agree. If you have 15b and 14e I really can't see 14d not being willing to swap with 15b unless they're with 14a/b across the aisle perhaps.
I could. Isn't 15B next to the WCs and galley? Both Seatguru and Seatexpert flag those issues.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by SteveF
I could. Isn't 15B next to the WCs and galley?
I agree. The seat back of 15B tends to get knocked by passing people because the cabin geometry means that in effect it protrudes into the walking route.

But I'm glad that seat change is still available for seacow - at least that difficulty doesn't actually exist.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 9:55 am

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 2:16 am
Old Oct 4, 2013, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by seacow
I have no problem asking anyone if they would mind moving - they are free to say no don't see why anyone would be embarassed?
I just think that while some may just say "sorry, I'd rather stay here" and stick their headphones on, others may grudgingly say yes, especially if asked by an FA which could almost seem like an instruction, and end up in what they really consider an inferior seat.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 10:07 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by seacow
The way the seats are spread must be singles and would be surprised if they were chosen as favourite seats - its a bit strange how they all went yesterday though as I was checking all week and the cabin was 2/3's unselected.
This is interesting. This means that actually a lot of people have not got status or paid for seats, but a few hours before OLCI the system gives them a notional seat and then takes it off the planboard.

So I suspect there are quite a few people in WTP who are sub-optimally seated, and / or some early WT upgrades into that area. The latter will typically be singles, who end up in the middle seats, however if families or colleagues are on separate bookings they may also not like their new location or even the upgrade.

11K is a great seat to bargain with, so long as there isn't a screamer in 11J; less so 12E and 15B but some people would prefer that to 13E.

seacow - any more movement now that London OLCI is open?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.