Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat Selection Nightmare

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2013, 5:08 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by seacow
but I maintain my view that this charge isn't what I would expect from a premium brand in a premium cabin more Ryan Air
Look at it a different way. Most airlines do not allow reserving seats on long-haul or short-haul flights in economy. BA does not allow it either. What BA does is let you do it - if you really want it - for a charge. Sometimes when I am not flying BA and I can't select seats on other airlines I wish they allowed me to pay to select them.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 5:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Andriyko
Look at it a different way. Most airlines do not allow reserving seats on long-haul flights in economy. BA does not allow it either. What BA does is let you do it - if you reaaally want it - for a charge. Sometimes when I am not flying BA and I can't select seats on other airlines I wish they allowed me to pay to select them.
agree but have never ever not been able to sit in a pair regardless of class or airline
Old Oct 4, 2013, 5:13 am

agree but have never ever not been able to sit in a pair regardless of class or airline
WTP is a very popular cabin, and there are usually many elites there who can pre-select the seats. Many people apparently also pay for them. It is very unfortunate that you are in such a situation. I am sure that it would not have been an issue in WT as it is a much bigger cabin, and the chance of not being able to select a pair of seats is much much lower (if it exists at all).

As I mentioned in my earlier post, I'd check now without printing the BPs and keep checking until I leave for the airport.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 5:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver Hilton Diamond
WTP is a very popular cabin, and there are usually many elites there who can pre-select the seats. Many people apparently also pay for them. It is very unfortunate that you are in such a situation. I am sure that it would not have been an issue in WT as it is a much bigger cabin, and the chance of not being able to select a pair of seats is much much lower (if it exists at all).

As I mentioned in my earlier post, I'd check now without printing the BPs and keep checking until I leave for the airport.
I have learned my lesson!! I used to fly WTP LHR to DFW a couple of times a year with no issues but that was probably before the current rules! Won't happen again honest!!

I have done as you suggested and checked in but not printed or downloaded so will see where we get to!!

Thanks for all the advice guys
Old Oct 4, 2013, 5:40 am

I have done as you suggested and checked in but not printed or downloaded so will see where we get to!!
Repeat the online check-in process in a few hours (it will take you straight to the seat confirmation page) and select "view/change seats" to see if anything together opened up.
Good luck! And have a great time in Las Vegas!
Old Oct 4, 2013, 5:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Look at it a different way. Most airlines do not allow reserving seats on long-haul or short-haul flights in economy. BA does not allow it either. What BA does is let you do it - if you really want it - for a charge. Sometimes when I am not flying BA and I can't select seats on other airlines I wish they allowed me to pay to select them.
BA also charges for BUSINESS CLASS seat reservations. This isn't something that most other carriers do.

If OP can't select two seats together, OP should pick seats so that a good seat can be offered to exchange. Someone in a middle will usually move willingly/eagerly to an aisle but not vice versa.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 6:39 am

Please read all my subsequent posts - It isn't going to ruin it, just disappointed, I have admited I was stupid as I didn't realise we would be split up just positioning but I maintain my view that this charge isn't what I would expect from a premium brand in a premium cabin more Ryan Air - it won't be an issue again as I will soon be all the way up to silver
BA is not a premium airline, no matter what the marketing blurb tells you.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 7:42 am
Suspended

Programs: Too many to list
A good friend of mine has been telling me today he has done 6 flights in 11 days on Easyjet rather than use BA. He is so tired of being screwed around by BA for high fares and bloody awful service both on the ground and in the air. He has saved a fortune using them and when I raised the point of service he laughed. He paid around 10 euro extra on each flight, was allowed to choose emergency exit row seats weeks in advance of his flights, given speedy boarding which was rigorously enforced at each airport, Paris, Berlin, Madrid, Gatwick, Brussels & Milan. He praised the level of staff now they have implemented the new customer first policy.He also noted each flight was with an air bridge instead of the dreaded bus trip and even though food has to be paid for he even commented it was better than the crap he gets given on his BA flights. This is a guy who flies everywhere in business class and doesnt care what it costs as long as he is comfy and doesnt have to have to be treated like a lamb going to slaughter.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 7:52 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
On the EDI-LHR you won't be able to use the Club bag drop but the Business UK fare will get you through fast track security and into the lounge.

Re:EasyJet. Had my first flight with them for years this week. Allocated seat, new smart uniforms, speedy boarding earlier than scheduled push back. We were nearly 25 minutes early on finals into EDI but unfortunately had to miss approach due to a slow plane on the runway. We would have been very early if that hadn't happened.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 7:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
If the seats have already been taken, it would mean
a) other passengers have paid for their seats
b) have status and selected their seats.
In BA's new world, it is not easy to get other passengers to move either on-board or at check-in.

Clearly if you have paid for your seat, you would not take kindly to being asked to move by on-board crew or by other passengers. If BA moved you, they would loose revenue by having to refund for the seat charge.

A status passenger might listen but a true FF is likely to have selected their favourite seat and would also be unlikely to move. In fact, BA current scheme allows anyone to reply "I've paid for this seat" and no one is the wiser.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 8:46 am

Two of us are booked IAD/LHR in WT+ using miles as club is not available. If I buy seats together and business subsequently opens will my money transfer or do I need to pay again?
Old Oct 4, 2013, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
There will be a lot of moves forward on this flight, I wouldn't check in if I were you.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 9:05 am

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 12:16 am
Old Oct 4, 2013, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by mayodave
A good friend of mine has been telling me today he has done 6 flights in 11 days on Easyjet rather than use BA. He is so tired of being screwed around by BA for high fares and bloody awful service both on the ground and in the air. He has saved a fortune using them and when I raised the point of service he laughed. He paid around 10 euro extra on each flight, was allowed to choose emergency exit row seats weeks in advance of his flights, given speedy boarding which was rigorously enforced at each airport, Paris, Berlin, Madrid, Gatwick, Brussels & Milan. He praised the level of staff now they have implemented the new customer first policy.He also noted each flight was with an air bridge instead of the dreaded bus trip and even though food has to be paid for he even commented it was better than the crap he gets given on his BA flights. This is a guy who flies everywhere in business class and doesnt care what it costs as long as he is comfy and doesnt have to have to be treated like a lamb going to slaughter.
This is what I do now in most cases. Priority boarding, allocated seating, changed return flight free of charge in Geneva when I arrived early, Starbucks coffee on board no more expensive than a regular coffee shop. Newish A320 planes compared to the antique 737s that BA often uses.

It does help living near LGW though.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by angatol
Why do you say not to check in?
The OP says that there are only a couple of seats available to choose and they are not together, I think that leaving it might work in their favour as two seats together might become available tomorrow when the upgrades take place or the upgrades might be for them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.