Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WW "airlines to go bust"

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2020, 10:55 am
Suspended

Didn’t Flybe operate some ‘posh’ appeal flights from SOU to places like Avignon etc, would these be more successful with BACF’s E170 smaller aircraft, perhaps LCY-AVN-SOU-AVN-STN on a Saturday and then STN-AVN-LCY on Sunday.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 10:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, AirAstana Silver (much use as chocolate teapot)
Originally Posted by BAeuro
With Flybe gone, SOU has lost all its bucket and spade routes (AGP, ALC, PMI). Airlines like Loganair and Eastern will be happy to pick up the domestics but I doubt any summer services.

So is it time for BACF to make SOU a weekend base? I think it would do pretty well with no competition from LCCs.
Ain't gonna work. I'm in the catchment area for SOU to the west. LHR & LGW offer solutions for 1hr extra drive time & better facilities when you get there plus more flights/flexibility.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 11:00 am

Programs: BAEC
Yes Flybe had a big operation in France and I think an E170 could pick up some of these routes nicely, as you say.

I have always thought La Rochelle could work on BA so a LCY-LRH-SOU-LRH-LCY could work over the weekend.

I’m sure PMI would be a success too though as SOU has had flights there from 2005-2019.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 11:09 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by richardwft
Didn’t Flybe operate some ‘posh’ appeal flights from SOU to places like Avignon etc, would these be more successful with BACF’s E170 smaller aircraft, perhaps LCY-AVN-SOU-AVN-STN on a Saturday and then STN-AVN-LCY on Sunday.
There were a number of similar routes, for example La Rochelle, Lyon, Avignon, Perpignan. Also Chambery and Geneva in the winter for ski season. Can't see anything bigger than an E170 being viable at the moment. Some were quite popular, but you had to know they existed to find them half the time.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 12:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by BAeuro
...I’m sure PMI would be a success too though as SOU has had flights there from 2005-2019.
Volotea will operate PMI-SOU-PMI this summer, appears to be a charter.

Last edited by FlyerTalker39574; Mar 8, 2020 at 12:20 pm
Old Mar 8, 2020, 12:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jamespi
There were a number of similar routes, for example La Rochelle, Lyon, Avignon, Perpignan. Also Chambery and Geneva in the winter for ski season. Can't see anything bigger than an E170 being viable at the moment. Some were quite popular, but you had to know they existed to find them half the time.
I’d like LCY-PGF-SOU.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 12:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Only airlines with a good feel of the data will be ‘sure’ what is ‘viable ‘ and what is not. There’s a reason Flybe failed - much of what it did was not sure or viable. Possible new operators of some of its routes will probably proceed with caution unless they want to go the same way!
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 2:47 am

Programs: SAS Gold, Hilton Diamond, OWS
Norwegian is offering an extra 4 % cashpoints if you pay directly from your bank account instead of by card. Sounds like a company in desperate need of cash...
tigertanaka likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 3:29 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by Scandinavian traveler
Norwegian is offering an extra 4 % cashpoints if you pay directly from your bank account instead of by card. Sounds like a company in desperate need of cash...
That's odd, the delay in card payments reaching your account is only a couple of days. I wonder if the card companies are extending that.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Worcester
That's odd, the delay in card payments reaching your account is only a couple of days. I wonder if the card companies are extending that.
I imagine it's the % fee levied by the card merchant that adds up. Receiving funds into your account direct would avoid this fee
Old Mar 9, 2020, 3:35 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Worcester
And of course, you're not covered if/when they go bust if you pay cash.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 3:36 am

Programs: Was BA GGL but no longer travelling
And lose any credit card protection at the same time. No thanks. I wonder now many will be hooked on the 4% without realising the protection that cards can provide.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 3:48 am

Programs: SAS Gold, Hilton Diamond, OWS
Credit card companies will often hold onto the money for longer periods if they expect the merchant to be in financial difficulties, so I suppose that is why Norwegian is asking for bank transfers. I believe I’ve heard upwards of 90 days before releasing the money to merchants, but I am not completely certain.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 4:09 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum
Credit card funds not being released will certainly cause them issues. Even then I can't imagine debit card payments take that long to arrive either. The fees on these shouldn't be particularly high either, and you would've thought the merchant processing fee should be factored into the price that you for the flight.

Then again, the amount of times I've used my debit card online can be counted on one hand. It carries a risk I'm simply not prepared to tolerate.

Paying for something online via a bank transfer, though? Does anyone actually do that? Admittedly I don't look too closely at these things as I always use a credit card, but I can't think of ever seeing this as an option. If that's the option that was being suggested, I'd have assumed that there was fraud at play and would cease the transaction.

The bottom line I guess is that they don't just need cash now, but that they need it immediately. Could d be a significant week for them.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 4:13 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Credit card companies will often hold onto the money for longer periods if they expect the merchant to be in financial difficulties, so I suppose that is why Norwegian is asking for bank transfers. I believe I’ve heard upwards of 90 days before releasing the money to merchants, but I am not completely certain.
That could sink even a healthy company.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.