Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Very OT: Tyler Brule's comments about FT availability on BA flights ex SIN

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Very OT: Tyler Brule's comments about FT availability on BA flights ex SIN

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2013, 8:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by stevie
Sititng in YVR lounge at 18.49 local time - papers are Monday - even though the LHR first flight has come and gone. Why not bring a few papers from the plane into the lounges?
Probably because people would complain on board if they couldn't get today's paper. BA is good that way on Canadian routes. AC for obvious reasons is always a day behind with Canadian papers going westbound. Not a big deal now though compared to 20 years ago.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
Probably because people would complain on board if they couldn't get today's paper. BA is good that way on Canadian routes. AC for obvious reasons is always a day behind with Canadian papers going westbound. Not a big deal now though compared to 20 years ago.
IDEA: they could bring more? Now why didn't BA think of that?
Old Aug 20, 2013, 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by hillrider
Tyler Brûlé is the contemporary version of the luddites who claimed that the world would go to handbasket when printed books started replacing handwritten ones. He has no appreciation for the power of tablets.
It's OK to like tablets. It's also OK not to like tablets. It's not as though TB is completely alone in his view...

If I want to spread out the latest edition of a (real) newspaper and read it on my BA flight, why shouldn't I be able to?

How much do BA pay for a copy of the FT? About as much as they do for 1-2 glasses of LPGS?
Old Aug 21, 2013, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by stevie
Sititng in YVR lounge at 18.49 local time - papers are Monday - even though the LHR first flight has come and gone. Why not bring a few papers from the plane into the lounges?
Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
Probably because people would complain on board if they couldn't get today's paper.
But IIRC, BA has done this in the past at some stations. ISTR being at the lounge in NRT one morning during a long connection, and fresh London newspapers being brought into the lounge as soon as the inbound aircraft arrived.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 3:00 am

Programs: Mucci (Scirocco Sash), BAEC Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Globaliser
But IIRC, BA has done this in the past at some stations. ISTR being at the lounge in NRT one morning during a long connection, and fresh London newspapers being brought into the lounge as soon as the inbound aircraft arrived.
This certainly happened in the (lovely) lounge in SEA when I was there a few months ago...they even made an annoucement over the PA system, there was a mini-stampede for copies of the Daily Mail...
Old Aug 21, 2013, 4:28 am

Programs: BA GFL
Has anyone bought this Brule-designed and sold product?

https://monocle.com/shop/clothing/in...ight-cardigan/

I wonder, does one put it on pre-take off or after the seat belt sign has been switched off?
Old Aug 21, 2013, 4:36 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by daftboy
This certainly happened in the (lovely) lounge in SEA when I was there a few months ago...they even made an annoucement over the PA system, there was a mini-stampede for copies of the Daily Mail...
Does anyone remember the time when newspapers used to be quickly offloaded at JFK from the inbound BA1 (arrival 09.20) and immediately put on board the outbound BA178 (std 09.30 at the time)?

Before the time when newspapers were printed globally it seemed rather special to have that day's UK newspapers on a morning flight out of New York.

Last edited by BasilBush; Aug 21, 2013 at 5:33 am
Old Aug 21, 2013, 5:15 am

Programs: Mucci (Scirocco Sash), BAEC Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by YtoF
Has anyone bought this Brule-designed and sold product?

https://monocle.com/shop/clothing/in...ight-cardigan/

I wonder, does one put it on pre-take off or after the seat belt sign has been switched off?
Down to £250...BARGAIN.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 5:41 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Titanium Lifetime/UA/JetBlue
Slightly off topic but amusing I think.

In the old days the BA178 daylight flight from JFK to LHR used to depart about the same time as the first Concorde from London. They used to load extra newspapers on the BA001 and if they had time they would run across the tarmac and open the hatch at the nose wheel of the 747. Just before pushback First Class passengers got their daily newspapers thrown up through the hatch into the cabin!

It was hilarious and always a great conversation starter, and a great example of how the staff at BA really used teamwork to get the customers what they wanted.

Of course some just sat their as if it was nothing special, but I always made a big thing about "TODAYs newspapers flown in on Concorde" and how no other airline could do it except BA.

Oh I wish we could go back to those days!
Old Aug 21, 2013, 5:47 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by markzz2
Slightly off topic but amusing I think.

In the old days the BA178 daylight flight from JFK to LHR used to depart about the same time as the first Concorde from London. They used to load extra newspapers on the BA001 and if they had time they would run across the tarmac and open the hatch at the nose wheel of the 747. Just before pushback First Class passengers got their daily newspapers thrown up through the hatch into the cabin!

It was hilarious and always a great conversation starter, and a great example of how the staff at BA really used teamwork to get the customers what they wanted.

Of course some just sat their as if it was nothing special, but I always made a big thing about "TODAYs newspapers flown in on Concorde" and how no other airline could do it except BA.

Oh I wish we could go back to those days!
I'm glad someone else remembered that! See post 52....

I don't think it's off topic at all - it just shows that BA can make the effort. Although Mr Brule is generally ridiculous I tend to agree with him that his experience is an example of standards having slipped.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
So do I Mark, it no longer feels like one team at striving for the same goal but many teams all looking after themselves, I wish we could get back some of the King and Marshall magic.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by BasilBush
I'm glad someone else remembered that! See post 52....

I don't think it's off topic at all - it just shows that BA can make the effort. Although Mr Brule is generally ridiculous I tend to agree with him that his experience is an example of standards having slipped.
Sorry I missed that one!
Old Aug 21, 2013, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you
So do I Mark, it no longer feels like one team at striving for the same goal but many teams all looking after themselves, I wish we could get back some of the King and Marshall magic.
Agreed.... I am so glad I was around in that time. It was a dynamic company in those days.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
When you could go to anyone within the company and they would listen to you and value your opinion.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you
When you could go to anyone within the company and they would listen to you and value your opinion.

We come here to be listened to now!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.