Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Very OT: Tyler Brule's comments about FT availability on BA flights ex SIN

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Very OT: Tyler Brule's comments about FT availability on BA flights ex SIN

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2013, 1:46 pm
Suspended

If Tyler got off his tablet hobbyhorse [for those who aren't up to speed to regularly rants about people using gadgets] he could just subscribe to the FT and not just have that day's edition but the most recently updated daily edition.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 3:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by daftboy
TB lives in Monoclewinkworld, which I for one find highly entertaining, but it really bears very little resemblance to planet Earth.
^
Old Aug 19, 2013, 3:34 pm

Programs: Executive Club, AMEX, Club Carlson, Tesco clubcard, Nectar, Odeon
Originally Posted by Dave_C
Don't get me started on the absence of the Guardian, either in the lounges or on board.
Even worse ... I find only the The Daily Mail on my regular flight to OSL and back. As foreign I am shocked to find The Sun quality level of journalism in news paper obviously aimed for middle class market. It is only missing Hyacinth Bucket on page 3.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Tyler Brûlé is the contemporary version of the luddites who claimed that the world would go to handbasket when printed books started replacing handwritten ones. He has no appreciation for the power of tablets.

Personally, I find it quite distressing that the FT that I find at T-5 when I'm there in the late morning is at least 12 hours old.

TB makes money from selling lots of dead-tree products (an environmentalist he's not), so his boring FT rants are self-serving. Personally, I wish the FT found a replacement for that column; it could be an entertaining (if marginally useful) read in the hands of someone fresher.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Named after a dessert and writes a very odd column most peculiar indeed, I'd much rather have a more well-known traveller like Tony Blair. I'd never heard of the man, nor Monocle magazine, it sounds like something the late Sir Patrick would read.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hugolover
it sounds like something the late Sir Patrick would read.
Sorry, this one is lost on me (a non-Brit). A Google search brought up way too many Sir Patricks; care to elaborate more?
Old Aug 19, 2013, 10:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold, MilesandSmiles Elite, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by hillrider
Sorry, this one is lost on me (a non-Brit). A Google search brought up way too many Sir Patricks; care to elaborate more?
Sir Patrick Moore
Old Aug 20, 2013, 2:14 am

Programs: Mucci (Scirocco Sash), BAEC Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by hillrider
Tyler Brûlé is the contemporary version of the luddites who claimed that the world would go to handbasket when printed books started replacing handwritten ones. He has no appreciation for the power of tablets.
In TB’s defence....(puts on hard hat )

With Monocle 24 (their online radio station – seriously) they have a foothold in an interesting area of digital, and don’t seem to have any trouble selling advertising space to the usual luxury good suspects, and the Monocle website has always had video content to supplement the monthly magazine. And Monocle magazine, while slightly eccentric content wise and as suffused with advertising as any other glossy, has extremely high production values and is quite a pleasure to flick through. Given that it’s been on the market for 5 years or so now I think he was fairly astute to call the split in the market between high quality, expensive publications and mass-market, cheap stuff, with not very much in the middle ground between that people are willing to pay for.

He may come across as a ludicrous character, but he can hardly be called a luddite…although he does clearly have a bee in his bonnet about tablets!
Old Aug 20, 2013, 2:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Indeed, TB's ability to extract money from advertisers is superb. What is even more interesting is how he can also extract money from the audience, who want to buy into the lifestyle via goods sold through the Monocle Shop.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 3:44 am

Programs: BA, LH, VS, Hyatt, SPG
On a related note, I see Monocle actually gives away over 10,000 copies of the magazine every month to airlines. Not that I've ever seen a copy in a lounge or on board an aircraft anywhere (not that many airlines would want to carry it on board because of the weight!)

http://www.abc.org.uk/Certificates/18558704.pdf
Old Aug 20, 2013, 4:00 am

Programs: Mucci (Scirocco Sash), BAEC Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by ian001
On a related note, I see Monocle actually gives away over 10,000 copies of the magazine every month to airlines. Not that I've ever seen a copy in a lounge or on board an aircraft anywhere (not that many airlines would want to carry it on board because of the weight!)

How interesting, I hadn't thought that they do that...presumably they are to be found in the finest private charter departure lounges in St Gallen, Beirut and Naha...
Old Aug 20, 2013, 6:03 am

Don't know who this writer is but, as the Asian edition of FT is printed in Asian morning and is all over Changi, if he is making the point that BA, and indeed any full service airline, should have that day's FT on board then he is absolutely correct. As some say on here : end of.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by ian001

If they were given away, they would be classed as monitored free's...

I doubt many of the 10,000 copies actually make it anywhere near an airline. It's more likely that the distributor is paying £0.01 to Monocle for each copy, claiming it is being purchased & distributed to an airline (most likely Virgin Atlantic), and then charging £0.20 per copy handling fee to Monocle. The distributor then gets the double bonus of being able to sell the 9900 copies of Monocle it's hasn't distributed to a waste paper merchant for £60 per tonne...

Not all distributors do this & the majority are very honest, but this is the only way I can think of 10,000 copies of a very niche publication like Monocle being "distributed" to airlines...

Last edited by HongKongOclock; Aug 20, 2013 at 3:16 pm
Old Aug 20, 2013, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by daftboy
He may come across as a ludicrous character, but he can hardly be called a luddite…although he does clearly have a bee in his bonnet about tablets!
Point taken; I guess he's just a luddite when it comes to tablets.
Originally Posted by BahrainLad
What is even more interesting is how he can also extract money from the audience, who want to buy into the lifestyle via goods sold through the Monocle Shop.
How true. Including this £140 tablet holder!
Old Aug 20, 2013, 7:49 pm

Programs: Meh
Sititng in YVR lounge at 18.49 local time - papers are Monday - even though the LHR first flight has come and gone. Why not bring a few papers from the plane into the lounges?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.