Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Very OT: Tyler Brule's comments about FT availability on BA flights ex SIN

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Very OT: Tyler Brule's comments about FT availability on BA flights ex SIN

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2013, 3:47 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
If we stop giving Tyler Brulee coverage then maybe it help convince the FT that his tedious and frequent namedropping of airline upgrades and marginal inconveniences actually read like a parody. Try reading the articles in your mind with an Alan Partridge voice and you'll see what I mean.

If he's slating BA I can only guess that Winkreative have lost BA as a client.

I remember an article (found here: http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/36679ff4-7...#axzz2cPH7TzEt) theoretically airline related that was my frst insight into his 'look at me' mentality.

Incidentally what did happen to any of those 'ones to watch' from 2006? Apart from Austria (and I barely read much about them) have any of the rest been a global success. I wonder which of them are owned by his mates?
Old Aug 19, 2013, 3:47 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
I wonder if his contract to write for the FT was nearly up, hence the blatant plug for it.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 3:51 am
TPJ
Original Poster

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by Paralytic
Took me a while to work out if FT was referring FlyerTalk, Fast Track or Financial Times
Oooops - my bad - sorry...
Old Aug 19, 2013, 3:56 am

Programs: Executive Club, AMEX, Club Carlson, Tesco clubcard, Nectar, Odeon
So someone want to read a newspaper that he writes. Couldn't he just get his own copy for FREE!?
Old Aug 19, 2013, 3:58 am

Programs: BA, LH, VS, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by dddc
I wonder if his contract to write for the FT was nearly up, hence the blatant plug for it.
At least in the plug for the FT there's a degree of transparency. Last week's column was devoted to singing the praises of Finnair, a prominent advertiser in Monocle.

TB has turned against BA since his agency stopped working for the airline. Makes you wonder what happened behind the scenes...
Old Aug 19, 2013, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ian001
At least in the plug for the FT there's a degree of transparency. Last week's column was devoted to singing the praises of Finnair, a prominent advertiser in Monocle.

TB has turned against BA since his agency stopped working for the airline. Makes you wonder what happened behind the scenes...
You are all so grossly unfair: TB's probity is absolutely on a par with his sense of modesty as well as the strength of his intellect, all of which are amply demonstrated in his FT columns.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 4:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by dddc
We're talking about his regular column in the FT. I don't see how he can "plug" the FT in the FT?
Old Aug 19, 2013, 4:53 am

Programs: Mucci (Scirocco Sash), BAEC Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
TB lives in Monoclewinkworld, which I for one find highly entertaining, but it really bears very little resemblance to planet Earth.

And it does strike me that many of the things he complains about on BA (and other airlines) are the exact same things that people complain about here – dirty planes, inconsistent service levels, food that is acceptable at best but doesn’t live up to what is promised…hardly unfamiliar for anyone who spends more than a few minutes on this forum...

Last edited by daftboy; Aug 19, 2013 at 5:00 am Reason: TB doesn't just reserve his ire for BA...;-)
Old Aug 19, 2013, 5:07 am

I've flown in J on ANA with him once. Liked a Sapporo in the T3 lounge - on brand I guess.

His partner eyeballed/cruised me the whole flight and slept while Tyler hammered away on his laptop all night.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 5:10 am

Don't get me started on the absence of the Guardian, either in the lounges or on board.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by Sam Bee
If we stop giving Tyler Brulee coverage then maybe it help convince the FT that his tedious and frequent namedropping of airline upgrades and marginal inconveniences actually read like a parody. Try reading the articles in your mind with an Alan Partridge voice and you'll see what I mean.

If he's slating BA I can only guess that Winkreative have lost BA as a client.

I remember an article (found here: http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/36679ff4-7...#axzz2cPH7TzEt) theoretically airline related that was my frst insight into his 'look at me' mentality.

Incidentally what did happen to any of those 'ones to watch' from 2006? Apart from Austria (and I barely read much about them) have any of the rest been a global success. I wonder which of them are owned by his mates?
Well , exactly , your comments above and indeed several after , just "exposé" with incisive accuracy the " hi jinks" that most likely go on in monocle lala land ..and their editors.

Nothing new really , paid advertorials mostly , well disguised ones at that.

Btw I think the comments here really should stop soon... He more than likely gets oxygen from all this discussion and attention , good or bad.

Ps
do people still read FT ( paper) , seriously ?!!
Old Aug 19, 2013, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by cazoz
His partner eyeballed/cruised me the whole flight and slept while Tyler hammered away on his laptop all night.
Haven't you just contradicted yourself there?
Old Aug 19, 2013, 1:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold, MilesandSmiles Elite, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Dave_C
Don't get me started on the absence of the Guardian, either in the lounges or on board.
The Guardian made the decision themselves to withdraw from the bulk distribution market ie airlines & hotels. This is why you will not find this newspaper within BA lounges, onboard or on a gate service stand.

I am sure that if they wanted to re-enter the bulk market, BA would happily accept a modest supply of this niche title in its lounges.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by Raffles
True in theory. However, BA is 99 per cent certain to use the local Servisair equivalent in SIN, which is already loading current newspapers onto other carriers (so security clearance done) and is loading other stuff for BA.

This also implies there are no local papers at all loaded. Not sure how they intend to woo the local market with that. Sure most would prefer Straits Times to the Daily Mail.
You would be suprised on how much a ground handler / caterer / cleaning company would charge an airline for delivering a small pack of newspapers to an aircraft, lounge or Gate Service.

Whilst on a station by station basis, a delivery charge of £15 - £20 (excluding cost of product) seems minimal, but once you multiply that by 365 days * 150 outstations * multiple flights per day, the cost becomes high for a product with a shelf life of 18 hours.

I have not flown BA to Singapore, but I am confident they do not load The Straits Times onboard. The only newspapers on board will be UK newspapers that have been backloaded by Gate Gourmet in LHR.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by BahrainLad
FWIW I used to always find a copy of the FT (and WSJA) in the Skyview Lounge (CX) in SIN T1, so no issues with airside supply.
Due to the volume of FT & WSJA that CX purchase in the region, they get a great price for locally printed copy.

If they can't source it locally, they will simply fly it in from HKG.

CX have a different strategy to BA. They accept the cost of distribution & source local newspapers ( & magazines) from nearly all of their outstations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.