Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Very OT: Tyler Brule's comments about FT availability on BA flights ex SIN

Very OT: Tyler Brule's comments about FT availability on BA flights ex SIN

Old Aug 18, 2013, 8:53 am
TPJ
Original Poster

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Talking Very OT: Tyler Brule's comments about FT availability on BA flights ex SIN

As there is no 'BA in the news' thread (like on e.g. NZ forum), let me just give you a heads up, that Tyler Brule moaned in his regular column he has on Weekend FT, that the FT he was offered on a BA flight ex SIN was one day old (obviously loaded in LON on the previous evening). He used about 250-300 words to express his disappointment and describe interactions he had with the F/A.

PS. On a serious note - what I see annoying is that on flights ex SYD the FT (and other papers) are 2 days old and there are no AU newspapers loaded. Tyler flew ex BRE with QF.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 10:17 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Ah yes, I've kept a close interest in this individual ever since one FTer sent me a PM and asked my if I was Tyler Brl in disguise. I subsequently saw him on a BA service and discovered that, along with Duran Duran's Simon le Bon, it's his real name.

Here's an extract:
Originally Posted by Tyler Brl
After a layover in Singapore, I boarded the last British Airways service up to London and settled in for the 12-ish hour flight. I asked the crew for a copy of the FT’s weekday edition, and a few minutes later the BA staffer returned with a nicely folded bundle of pink paper.

“Oh but it’s the Tuesday edition,” I said, with some surprise. “Do you have today’s, by chance?”

“I’m sorry, let me check but I don’t think so,” the flight attendant replied. “I’ll be right back.”

A couple of minutes passed and the woman returned empty-handed. “It seems we only load the papers in London,” she explained. “I guess you can’t get this particular paper in Singapore.” At this moment it’s hard to say what face I pulled but I know I sat upright and leaned forward and into the aisle slightly. In a very low voice, I started to explain the problem with this particular scenario. “This paper is, in fact, printed locally and, as it’s close to midnight on Wednesday, the Thursday edition is almost available. Don’t you think you should be loading papers locally? Just like you do food and jet-fuel?”

“Hmmmmmmm? I dunno. There must be a reason for it. I’m not sure,” she said. “I thought it had something to do with not being able to get hold of local papers overseas.”

“No, no. That’s not the reason,” I said. “I imagine it has something to do with costs. Anyway, thank you.”

Fortunately I passed out before we even pushed back and somewhere over India I woke up, put the seat in recline and dozed the rest of the way back to Heathrow.
The rest of the canny Canuck's article can be read here:
The joy of a clear diary - FT.com

And I thought this was why the Kindle had been invented.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 10:45 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List, Concorde Room Card, Hilton Diamond
To my horror, there were no copies of the FT Weekend available in the T5 Galleries First yesterday afternoon. Some copies did later appear, though only after asking and waiting 15 minutes.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 10:48 am

Programs: BA Silver
Took me a while to work out if FT was referring FlyerTalk, Fast Track or Financial Times
Old Aug 18, 2013, 11:17 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by ba_cityflyer
To my horror, there were no copies of the FT Weekend available in the T5 Galleries First yesterday afternoon. Some copies did later appear, though only after asking and waiting 15 minutes.
I think there was a complete absence of English language newspapers by about 4pm - plenty of FTs at A19 when boarding though
Old Aug 18, 2013, 11:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
BA can have as many copies of the FT as they want...and with 20 print sites across the globe from San Francisco to Singapore to Sydney, availability of the fresh product shouldn't ever be an issue.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 11:43 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Paralytic
Took me a while to work out if FT was referring FlyerTalk, Fast Track or Financial Times
Or indeed late and unlamented Siem Reap Airways, whose 3 aircraft ceased to ply the skies of Cambodia after the long arm of the European Union banned them on safety grounds.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 12:16 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Or indeed late and unlamented Siem Reap Airways, whose 3 aircraft ceased to ply the skies of Cambodia after the long arm of the European Union banned them on safety grounds.
Yeah, that too. Obv.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 12:45 pm

Programs: BA, *A, Hertz Goldstar, Mucci wannabee, Waitrose, safari Oleg
IIRC the FT has been out of date in the SQ lounge in Changi airport too, by at least one day when I've been through there.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 1:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold, MilesandSmiles Elite, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Its all about the cost & what BA are willing to pay to have newspapers loaded onboard their aircraft & lounges.

Whilst the cost of the actual newspaper will be minimal, there is a lot more to the supply chain than meets the eye...

Putting any product on an airplane is expensive. It becomes a lot more expensive (and complicated) when the product only has a effective shelf life of 18 hours, and it is produced in the early hours of each & every morning....

I am sure that even if the FT was offered free to BA in Singapore that they would still decide not to load it due to supply chain & security screening costs...
Old Aug 18, 2013, 2:07 pm

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
Originally Posted by BahrainLad
BA can have as many copies of the FT as they want...and with 20 print sites across the globe from San Francisco to Singapore to Sydney, availability of the fresh product shouldn't ever be an issue.
Maybe something you can have a look into?
Old Aug 19, 2013, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by Christickler

I am sure that even if the FT was offered free to BA in Singapore that they would still decide not to load it due to supply chain & security screening costs...
True in theory. However, BA is 99 per cent certain to use the local Servisair equivalent in SIN, which is already loading current newspapers onto other carriers (so security clearance done) and is loading other stuff for BA.

This also implies there are no local papers at all loaded. Not sure how they intend to woo the local market with that. Sure most would prefer Straits Times to the Daily Mail.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 2:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
FWIW I used to always find a copy of the FT (and WSJA) in the Skyview Lounge (CX) in SIN T1, so no issues with airside supply.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 2:21 am

Programs: BA, LH, VS, Hyatt, SPG
Qantas do (at least used to) provide a condensed version of the Sydney Morning Herald on ex-LHR flights and some hotels will offer to print a current copy of an international newspaper for their guests, so something is possible if there is the budget and the will.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 3:34 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
Tyler should fly SQ: I was on their BCN-SIN service and asked for the FT and got a three day old copy. SQ loads the papers in SIN and then flies to GRU and back via BCN without loading any papers at any stop...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.