Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Trip Reports : BA A380 'training' flights between LHR and FRA, inaugural flight 2 Aug

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 4, 2013, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: BotB
This wikipost was created to provide an easy way to find the various trip reports in this thread without having to go through each page looking for them.

It is only meant to be a quick reference tool, you may find useful info or comments / questions mentioned in the rest of the thread.

Please do update this wikipost if you add a TR to this thread so that others can easily find it or check for updates. Thanks. ^

All TR's are listed in alphabetical order of the poster's name!

Video TR's:

continentalclub's Video TR is here

fellfromatree's Video TR is here

NTA's Video TR's are here:

BA A380 World Traveller & World Traveller Plus

BA A380 Brown Club World

BA A380 First

Schwann's Video TR's are here and here (cabin overview video but without First)

Traditional Word/Picture TR's here:

andrewrtw's TR is here

Berbound's comments on the F cabin are here

BotB's TR is here

eejp1007's TR here

flashware's TR is here

LondonAndy's TR starts here

Love Flying's TR is here

manymany's TR is here

marbe166's TR is here

nh1980's TR is here

PaulN's TR is here
Print Wikipost

Trip Reports : BA A380 'training' flights between LHR and FRA, inaugural flight 2 Aug

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2013, 1:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond

Rather than have a dozen separate threads, I thought we could post all of our photos (or links to trip reports) in one thread - remember only to post photos taken in publicly accessible areas!
Old Aug 2, 2013, 1:57 am
Original Poster

A380 Training Flights - photos and trip reports

Determined to get a seat on the first A380, I'd been following the thread started by BotB for some time, and thanks to rumours and speculation had booked one or two tickets, just in case :

Luckily it looked like 2 August was the day, but that it would be the 06.45 flight. eejp1007 and I set off at 04.30 to get to T5 in time (well, in time for him to have his first Flounge breakfast!).

Gate C63 was announced and there she was:

Somewhat disappointingly there was no fanfare, except a letter saying that you'd be on an A380 today. However, they were trying the three entrances (although you were only allowed through one!)

Having been greeted on board....

.... I settled down in 10A (first row of Club on the lower deck). It was a bit disappointing that they weren't using F, or the upper deck at all.

Standard Club World seat, I had a look to see how to get off in case of need

and raised the screen due to the person sitting next to me (sorry BotB!)

Whilst taxiing we saw a few close relatives lined up

... and some of the distant family (one recently deceased, the other an Airbus A321)

... and then we were off!

VERY quiet inside the cabin, and almost with no sense of movement/banking. The wings do flex up and down rather alarmingly (upto 3 metres I'm told!).

In terms of cabins, First was shut off so as to be a surprise for those travelling to LAX.

Club World didn't seem to have m/any seats with loads of extra leg-room, but the middle seat upstairs may appeal if you are travelling by yourself.

The window seats upstairs have the same nice storage as the upper deck of a 747

World Traveller Plus looks quite good, with the new style seats

To be continued....

Last edited by LondonAndy; Aug 8, 2013 at 12:12 am
Old Aug 2, 2013, 1:58 am
Original Poster

A380 Training Flights - photos and trip reports

.... continued

World Traveller - the cabin at the back on the upper deck is definitely the one to go for - only 4/5 rows, and loads of legroom in row 80! This isn't a picture of that WT cabin, but gives you an idea...

The toilets have a couple of nice touches - motion sensitive taps with temperature control (no more getting scalded!)

They also, like current long haul fleet, have "changing seats", but a bit more prominent.

The upstairs toilet at the front is huge! Apparently where Emirates have their shower

The galleys all look shiny and new (and I heard cabin crew saying that it is no longer a case of on or off, but low heat, high heat, steam etc.) which should help serve up some pretty good food

Spiral stairs at the back

Straight stairs at the front

The journey back was more of the same (although delayed by about 45 minutes) - at least in Frankfurt they made some acknowledgement of it being the first flight

As well as the FT crowd, there was an internal comms person from BA interviewing some of us for their magazine, and a couple who had flown from Perth (Australia, not Scotland) as they are flying on all of the first commercial flights for A380s!
.... and safely back on the ground at LHR

The seat map for the A380 is on the BA website in case you are tempted to book your seat now!

Special thanks to BotB for being rumour control centre, and to WhaleJet for hints and tips at just the right time

If you have any questions/comments/thoughts, please post them in the Trip Report thread, and leave this thread clear for others to post their photos.

Last edited by LondonAndy; Aug 4, 2013 at 11:15 am
Old Aug 2, 2013, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Please, post a photograph of the manifest!
Old Aug 2, 2013, 2:23 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Here is mine - arriving into Frankfurt gate D4

Old Aug 2, 2013, 2:27 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, BA Gold, IHG Gold, Oman Gold
Originally Posted by LondonAndy
Rather than have a dozen separate threads, I thought we could post all of our photos (or links to trip reports) in one thread - remember only to post photos taken in publicly accessible areas!
Ohh does that mean you got to see some hidden places
Old Aug 2, 2013, 2:55 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, VS Red, IHG Platinum
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by gav0106
Ohh does that mean you got to see some hidden places
Who could say!!??!! If we did, we wouldn't brag about it would we?

My perspective from down the back in row 20.

There were 3 boarding bridges attached at T5C, two on the lower deck and one on the upper deck. We all boarded through the door between Club and First on the lower deck and walked through to the back.

This was my first time on an A380 and it was so quiet, there was so little take off noise they should play a tape recording of a rattly B747 take off to remind pax that they are on their way.

Very comfy seats in Y, look good and kind on the bottom. I think that the mini-cabins in Y upstairs are deffo the ones to go for as you have less people and the bins at the side but if you are downstairs then 20 has loads of leg room at the exits at the sides but not that much at the bassinet positions in the middle.

Bit of a shock coming into land as it had been so quiet that the noise of the gear dropping and the wind was (comparatively) REALLY loud!

Great flight, great crew, some on their first A380 flight also and a good evolution of the BA product.

I forgot to put my phone on flight mode before boarding so no pics from me I'm afraid. I will await Schwann and the video diaroma!

Everyone else is now on the plane home, I have had a lovely shower in the very quiet CX lounge and will see some of you on the 911 tonight!

Ed
Old Aug 2, 2013, 3:02 am

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Agree with your post about noise levels. Stepping off an old BA 747 on to a Qantas A380 you really notice the difference.
I know there are and will be the Upper deck 747 die-hards but once you have actually flown the A380 there really is no going back.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 5:46 am

Yes!! We saw it, rather heard it right above our heads then the "bum" as it came out of clouds, you can just see her it the distance

Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:40 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
First impressions: very good, very quiet, very cool on a hot day. Easy on the eye, comfortable as a bed.

However you do want to be upper deck, there are a range of interesting features - bigger toilets, a relatively exclusive rear WT section. The middle seats in CW are interesting, and have some merits, especially the bulkhead ones - extra storage space and two exits. First has a Wow! factor: bit difficult to describe, but it's such a solid set-up that I am sure passengers will be impressed.

Special thanks to the crew (and one in particular!) for all their help accomodating the aircraft geeks, they were superb. A couple of non geeks tagged along, one passenger who was not familiar with First was particularly impressed by it all.

Und im Deutschen:

My onward connection is also delayed, so I didn't have much of an irrop. I felt sorry for the group of 8 Germans going on to Rio, presumably in a 777-200!
Old Aug 2, 2013, 7:33 am

Programs: LH FTL, BA Silver, Thameslink Delay Repay
Saw it coming out of the clouds above White City on my way to lunch. Well jealous of those who trusted the rumours more than me!

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Und im Deutschen:
Now that is some hardcore abuse of the German language. Never mind the "Boing", who the hell comes up with "Onboardprodukte"???
Old Aug 2, 2013, 7:40 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Just a reminder, folks, that this thread is intended as a place for Trip Reports from, and direct discussion of, todays (and subsequent) BA A380 flights to and from FRA.

More general discussion is welcome here.

This is one thread that would benefit from being free from unneccesary diversions.

/mod
Old Aug 2, 2013, 10:05 am

Programs: BA Gold
Hope this is specific enough ...

Are the WT seats wide like the versions on Emirates? I was very impressed with those.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 10:21 am

Nice report, glad you guys had good flight....waiting for my turn to come
Old Aug 2, 2013, 11:02 am

Programs: BA Gold
In terms of cabins, First was shut off so as to be a surprise for those travelling to LAX.
In what way do BA think it will be a surprise? We've already seen the pictures, and know that there is nothing astonishingly different from First on the 747 or 777.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.