Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Trip Reports : BA A380 'training' flights between LHR and FRA, inaugural flight 2 Aug

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 4, 2013, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: BotB
This wikipost was created to provide an easy way to find the various trip reports in this thread without having to go through each page looking for them.

It is only meant to be a quick reference tool, you may find useful info or comments / questions mentioned in the rest of the thread.

Please do update this wikipost if you add a TR to this thread so that others can easily find it or check for updates. Thanks. ^

All TR's are listed in alphabetical order of the poster's name!

Video TR's:

continentalclub's Video TR is here

fellfromatree's Video TR is here

NTA's Video TR's are here:

BA A380 World Traveller & World Traveller Plus

BA A380 Brown Club World

BA A380 First

Schwann's Video TR's are here and here (cabin overview video but without First)

Traditional Word/Picture TR's here:

andrewrtw's TR is here

Berbound's comments on the F cabin are here

BotB's TR is here

eejp1007's TR here

flashware's TR is here

LondonAndy's TR starts here

Love Flying's TR is here

manymany's TR is here

marbe166's TR is here

nh1980's TR is here

PaulN's TR is here
Print Wikipost

Trip Reports : BA A380 'training' flights between LHR and FRA, inaugural flight 2 Aug

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2013, 8:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by flashware
My guess is that they were happy to spend a bit of time with those who made the trip specially on the first day of service, whereas now it's just too time consuming to do after every flight.
Its a pity you didn't get a look round. The CSM on our flight this morning was absolutely excellent. Took several groups round the plane on the way out to FRA and several on the way back too. Very enthusiastic and proud of the new aircraft and explained quite a lot of detail about each cabin too. Just putting together a brief trip report.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 9:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
A short-ish write-up from my trip to FRA today. I dithered for a long time before booking and therefore missed out on booking the later flight back to give me a day in Frankfurt. Anyway ....

After a very early alarm call I got to T5 Biz parking at 0500 and hopped on the Pod. Made it into the lounge by 0515. Only 2 or 3 people had arrived already but luckily the bacon rolls had arrived for an early breakfast. By 0600 BA902 was already showing boarding; I guess because it leaves from C gate. Headed over but didn't actually get on board until 0640 (sched. departure 0645).

The window reflections aren't helping I'm afraid but it was a fairly gloomy morning. Settled into 10K and said a silent thank you for the previous trip reports that said this was the only row with a view that isn't blocked by the wing. CSM was going round saying good morning to people.

[/IMG]

After a lengthy wait and a taxi round most of the airport we finally got airborne at about 07:26. Luckily only a 1:05 flight time meant we'd be about on time at FRA (didn't want to miss the flight back ).

When the seatbelt sign came off the CSM took a group round the First cabin and the upper deck. I grabbed a few pics; most of these have already been covered but I did note because there are several economy cabins there are quite a lot of seats with a lot of legroom - perhaps worth considering on a day flight. On the upper deck even the economy seats have side storage bins (see pic).

First

Upper Deck CW toilet

Upper Deck CW cabin

Plenty of legroom. This is the small WT cabin at the rear of the Upper Deck

Spiral Staircase at rear of plane

Just back to my seat in time for the CE breakfast ... I'd had two bacon rolls but ok then.

By then it was pretty much time to land. Thank's to Globaliser's advice I was watching out for the lounge as we followed the signs for the exit (if you're planning to visit it is straight ahead of you after you've come off the plane, up the escalator and round the corner). The lounge is a JAL lounge (check out the Japanese style automated and heated toilet with washing functions ). An hour or so in the lounge and we were called for our return flight. Through an empty security checkpoint and onto the plane in around 10 mins and into 10D for a change of view. After takeoff a continental breakfast is served (fruit salad or ham) with a ham and cheese croissant .... yes I did have some (but I haven't eaten since). Uneventful trip back.

All in all a worthwhile experience for 18k avios and a few quid. I'd recommend it if you don't think you're going to get on this plane once it enters long haul service or if you've never tried the CW seat (but of course then you won't want to go back to Y).

Hope you find this info and pics helpful.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 9:43 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
Thanks for the trip report PaulN and pictures, ^

Some very interesting points come up which your pictures highlight very well (at least to me!)

-Row 1 in F is not the place to be. Row 2 is the new row 1 in my books, far more space from the picture of 1K you took.

-CW UD does have significantly lower 'ceilings' I'm feeling. The lower deck row 10 seats are great for views and also because you can stand up without banging your head, which does not look possible on the UD. Of course, you don't get the smaller cabins nor the side bins but at least if you have to go lower deck, row 10 has some advantages over the rest of the cabin and appears to be quite good.

-Excellent photo of the bulkhead row of WT seats at the very back cabin. This really shows that you do get some light from the door window and an armrest that can be raised in the A seat. ^ (although no side bin for that seat ) Wonder if all the window seats have moveable armrests to allow closer access to the bins?

Thanks again for the photos and quick TR, glad you had a great time and a good crew ^
Old Aug 22, 2013, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by PaulN
Its a pity you didn't get a look round. The CSM on our flight this morning was absolutely excellent. Took several groups round the plane on the way out to FRA and several on the way back too. Very enthusiastic and proud of the new aircraft and explained quite a lot of detail about each cabin too. Just putting together a brief trip report.
I luckily flew on the first day so did get the tour Glad you enjoyed the big bird today! ^
Old Aug 23, 2013, 4:51 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Gold
Thought I would write about my trip last weekend. My pics don't really add much so won't bother putting them up!

I took the BA910 to FRA on Friday 16th August. This was my first time in Club Europe and I've not been in a Club World seat before either. I'd also not been in the lounges at T5 wither so I was pretty excited. Oh, first time on an A380 too! I had been to Frankfurt before and I really like Germany as well so this trip was a no-brainer and a bit of a treat for hard work over the past few months! I was staying at the Intercontinental and returned on the BA911 on Sunday 18th August.

T5
After a two hour drive I dumped the car in business car park at 10:30 and was impressed to be in Galleries South Lounge by 10:50 (went through south fast track). Felt quite awkward as no idea of the etiquette required in the lounge! I found a nice view of the end of the southern runway and watched the planes taking off whilst downing Heinekens. I then wondered down to Galleries North, few more Heinekens and egg sarnies (quite nice I thought) whilst sat on the terrace.

BA910 on the A380! Seat 11K
I noticed the displays said BA910 was boarding at around 13:40 so I headed to C gates. By the time I had got through the train and picked up something to read I got to C56 half way through boarding. Got straight on and found my seat only to also find quite a pretty lady sat in 11J. I didn't realise they would be so close! Got settled in etc and then took off. Much, much, much better than the 747! At least it feels like we are climbing in the A380, always feels like 747 is going to drop back to ground any moment during take off. Saying that, I've seen a couple of A380's take off from LHR whilst I've been driving down the M25 and they just look like they hang in the air and go sooo slow; completely opposite feeling on board.

The lady in 11J semi-reclined her seat for take off - is this allowed? Anyway, she was dozing and there was a really awkward moment when she opened her eyes and I looked over at the very same time and it gave the impression i was being a bit weird....she couldn't hit the "raise divider" button fast enough! I just chuckled to myself.

I enjoyed the small sarnies, scone and cake. Washed down with couple more Heinekens and a cup of tea. I was really impressed with the A380's immense wing. It seems to go on forever into the distance. I had a play around with the seat, could really get used to this on a long haul! I was concerned about the table though, it didn't sit flush back in it's holder and seemed to slide quite easily when extended. I wondered if it would stay in place during turbulence/evasive manoeuvres?

Frankfurt
Won't bore you the details but (again) I'd not stayed in an Intercontinental before and I quite enjoyed it. I did the 2 nights for 1 rate and it was cheaper than the Holiday Inn Express round the corner. No breakfast here though, fine by me as plenty of other cheaper options. I enjoyed sitting in the lobby or bar using the free wifi and just watching people come and go. There was Air India cabin and flight crew departing for the airport. They had asked the hotel for alarm calls at 6:15pm but only the captain got a call at 6:30pm so they were hatching a plan to blame the hotel if the flight was late! I thought that pretty interesting, surely they have their own alarm clocks?! Although I suppose it's like any line of work; you have to try and cover your own backside as much as possible and shift the blame to others.

As I was getting ready to check out on Sunday afternoon, the safe with my wallet and passport in decided to not open! Duly reported, an engineer was despatched to assist. The electronic gizmo wouldn't open it so he departed and returned with a good old drill and bits! 30 minutes later he had it open and got my stuff back! I had a cracking view of the river and of the landing flight path for FRA from my room.

BA911 Seat 10B
Made my way to FRA and found the JAL lounge. Nice place to relax but I was laughing when I saw the food on offer! There must have been six sarnies there and some ropey looking hot dogs. I was saving myself for when I got home anyway so wasn't too bothered. Departed from E2 so wandered down there for 6:15pm. Security at gate being shared with a flight to Antalya so pretty busy. I wasn't sure if I could use the priority lane - I did anyway as no one checking boarding cards! There was an english couple in front, the bloke was really panicking and was convinced he was going to miss the flight. They then appeared behind me in the priority boarding q but didn't appear on the plane until 10 minutes after so probably got told to go in the other q (they were sat in economy).

10B had a nice view of the gallery. A point of note, there appeared to be an Airbus employee on board joining in with cabin crew banter. He was still on after doors closed etc. so was probably there "just in case"!
The divider didn't work until the CSM turned the power on. There was a Gold Card guy in 10A, he got the "welcome aboard, thank you for flying again" etc etc treatment.

Nice salmon salad to eat, bit salty though! Another point to note, the curtain seemed to get in the way of the cabin crew whilst they were serving 10A/B from the trolley. If I was her, I would have just drawn it back but she kept going in and out the curtain whilst bending down and getting drinks ready for us.

I got to test my table sliding theory out because half way through the flight, the plane made quite a rapid/steep descent. There was quite a bit of rattling and shaking of the big bird, sustained for about 20 seconds. The table, and my glass of water, stayed perfectly still!

Once we got to T5C we jumped up and I think the GCH in 10A was perturbed that I was able to get my bag and be closer to the door than he was. However, some guy came steaming up the aisle pushing everyone out the way and went to go in the First cabin! The crew stopped him, told him off and drew the curtain. I then chuckled to myself all the way to the UK Border bit as I watched 10A and the other guy race to be first person off the plane, the bridge, then down to the lower levels, then to the train, then through security! 10A won as he had iris and the other guy and me had biometrics. It all seemed a bit petty for a quiet Sunday evening.

Verdict
I had a really enjoyable weekend. The A380 was fantastic, apart from the massive wing it didn't feel like I was on the huge beast. It seemed to manoeuvre through the air with grace and precision. I didn't get to see the rest of the plane, but I do like BA's understated designs of the interior. There is no need to be ostentatious and the club world seat would be adequate enough for me on a long haul.

I have now booked WTP+ on the A380 to HKG for december for my holiday. Hoping that redemption seats opens up or decent price for upgrade becomes available!
Old Aug 24, 2013, 4:32 am

Programs: M&M SEN, BA Gold
Do any of the A380 toilets have windows?

Is the exclusion of the external cam/video feed expected to be permanent or temporary? If permanent, any idea why?
Old Aug 27, 2013, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Out on the 910 in CW, back on the 911 in WT+. Great crew. Wasn't allowed downstairs as they were using it to train crew (so we had a different crew each way). Very proud of the aircraft. Was very impressed ^
Old Aug 29, 2013, 4:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
"Up to Speed" story

A few of us on the first flight were "interviewed" by someone within BA internal comms. The story has now been published (with a couple of names redacted to protect the innocent!)

Customers board BA’s new A380 for its first commercial flight

Customers on the sunrise flight to Frankfurt on August 2 had a pleasant surprise when they were informed that their aircraft would be British Airways’ A380 on its first commercial outing.

Actually, many of them knew already because they were flying enthusiasts who, by dint of hours on websites such as flyertalk.com and working their contacts in the industry, had twigged that the A380 was about to make its commercial debut.

Onboard, they snapped away at cabin details and compared the facilities with other aircraft.

“We knew the A380 would be flying short-haul during August, so we took a chance on this one,” said Antonio, who was travelling with half a dozen other enthusiasts.

But what if it hadn’t been the A380?

“We would still have flown. We’re just nuts about flying.”

Spacious

Antonio was impressed by the spaciousness of the Club cabin and the silent grace of the take-off. Breaking his no-alcohol-for-breakfast rule, he wetted the A380’s head with champagne.

Luke Chittock and Isabel Chu had travelled from Perth for the flight. Perth, Western Australia, that is. Just for this flight, and nothing else.

“We’ve got this plan to be on every airline’s inaugural A380 flight, and this is the tenth,” said Luke. He and Isabel work in the travel trade, so they must have had an early tip-off.

Classy

“Yes, a tip-off, but a bit of research and a bit of luck as well,” said Isabelle. “We decided on the A380 because not many airlines have ordered it, so it gives us an achievable target.

“The décor is fantastic. It’s got a real classy feel.”

High-frequency traveller Corporate Wage Slave thought the cabin was “wonderful, very cool, calm on the eyes”.
Power

“You feel the power when it takes off. I’ve had my seat in the flat position, and it’s at least as comfortable as Club on other BA planes. A good night’s sleep is a unique selling proposition.”

The cabin crew put on a five-star performance, as if they’d been flying A380s for years. Customer service manager Rob, who devised training for the aircraft, reckoned everything was going well.

A storm over London delayed the flight back, so only the weather refused to play its part on an otherwise successful day.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 6:15 am
Accor Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
Originally Posted by LondonAndy
A few of us on the first flight were "interviewed" by someone within BA internal comms. The story has now been published (with a couple of names redacted to protect the innocent!)
Thanks for sharing that LondonAndy ^

Strangely, that press chap didn't seem too interested in interviewing people in YELLOW.

(I wasn't alone in that colour that day...so we do have a sample of 2 in this regard )
Old Oct 10, 2013, 10:33 am

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
Just completed an LHR-FRA on the 380 in Y

Initial impressions.....lets hope the 747 doesn't go away anytime soon.

What's good on ECO..

1) Seats are better quality than old style Y
2) IFE and USB port is much better than previous
3) It's quite quiet if you like that sort of thing

What's not

1) The IFE boxes under the seat are HUGE. I was in a window seat and it took up at least 1/3rd of the available under-seat space. Not impressed.
2) The arm rests only go up about 60 degrees which is not so great if the seat next to you is free or you are lucky enough to have a free row
3) Toilets a bit iffy. It is possible to see in/out sometimes
4) If you are sitting around row 21 for the next few rows the wing is enormous and you cannot see much at all
5) Exit row seats for row 20 have no window at all. Great leg room but no view. Row 35 (I think) is the place to sit

I got a tour around the rest of the plane and my views are as follows:

1) Club, seats look a little narrower than on a 747 but probably they are not.
2) screens in club look small for a biz class cabin

I will be in Club going to HK in a few weeks so will comment further

First looks dreadful. Dark with lots of seat real estate but not much seat. Why do this ? Complete inefficient use of space and no ambiance

All in all, a thumbs down..... but probably number 3 (best choice) in the fleet behind the 747 and 777-300

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.