Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Our London Airport (Gatwick)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2013, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Our London Airport (Gatwick)

It's been a while since I've had the opportunity to travel from LGW ("Your London Airport" as the current branding goes), typical for me my flight is delayed longer than a similarly timed flight from Heathrow which I didn't expect considering the disruption.

A few things I noticed. Whoever's responsible for the railway station has decided to put ticket barriers in, I'm sure the operator of Gatwick had no say in this but it's a hassle when you have a lot of luggage and had already put your ticket away not expecting a barrier. (HEX wins here, Heathrow Connect has barrier at the Paddington end, Tube has barriers at both ends but at least there's Oyster).

Then you get to the luggage trolleys and have to hunt for 1 to release one, at least it's not like MAN and you get the money back, but it's nice to keep things simple and just grab a trolley (LHR wins here). Has this been a change under the new owners (I've never needed a trolley at LGW before)?

I thought no trolleys were allowed on the transit to the North Terminal, but no signs said otherwise and I took the trolley on without complaint.

Wanted to try the print your own bag tags at self service checkin, but the machine was refusing to check me in. No queues at the premium bag drop desks (LGW wins here, slightly, normally quick around a similar time in LHR).

Fast Track (Premium Gatwick) was quicker than its counterpart in LHR.

Lounges: the F lounge feels like I'm in a business class lounge of a regional airport. It's relaxing and peaceful, a bit like the London Room with better catering, but smaller. Couldn't see any hot food on the menu (LHR T5 wins on this one, the ex-bmi lounges in T1 would be on par with this if they offered better catering).
Old Jan 20, 2013, 2:43 pm

Programs: Mucci Petit Four de Pucci, RedVee's Navigator Badge, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Good post. I have found LGW under its new ownership a mixed blessing but, on balance, improved. I don't like the pay trolleys though. And in the end, the railways will protect their revenue rather than look after us.

I do like the LGW F and J lounges though. But, sure, it's a smaller operation than LHR and the food offer isn't as good. (Except the poached eggs! )
Old Jan 20, 2013, 2:48 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Club Carlson Red
Indeed.....the barriers are to protect revenue and to stop the people who don't pay. You get the money back from the baggage trolley so that's no issue.
The F and J BA lounges are just different, hence different offerings to their LHR counterparts.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 2:58 pm

Programs: MUCCI
Keep in mind the revenue protection problem was not just to/from gatwick, but people making other journeys and stopping off at LGW mid journey.

As for trolleys, they have been allowed on the transit for years and years. While I can vaguely remember a time there were not, I'm wondering it that was a different airport, as I can also clearly remover "trolleys are allowed on the transit, please hold the brake firmly during the journey" since the first days of the north terminal...
Old Jan 20, 2013, 3:01 pm

Programs: Mucci Petit Four de Pucci, RedVee's Navigator Badge, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jonnogreig
Indeed.....the barriers are to protect revenue and to stop the people who don't pay. You get the money back from the baggage trolley so that's no issue.
It is when you have no pound coin, and not expecting this, as happened last time. Just another hassle, helping the airport not the passenger.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 3:11 pm

Programs: BA silver, Hilton diamond, Marriott titanium, IHG platinum
Trolleys? lounges? New premium security is terrific...but the Gatwick Express is a degraded - and expensive - service...

But the crucial difference is that, with Gatwick, your flight gets out, eventually, snow or no snow...For domestic in winter weather like this, LHR is too much of a risk...
Old Jan 20, 2013, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by seat 13a
But the crucial difference is that, with Gatwick, your flight gets out, eventually, snow or no snow...For domestic in winter weather like this, LHR is too much of a risk...
Yes, indeed, but the MAN flight is going (and the s/h routes are comparatively few...)
Old Jan 20, 2013, 3:32 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Originally Posted by seat 13a
Trolleys? lounges? New premium security is terrific...but the Gatwick Express is a degraded - and expensive - service...

Agree with your comments apart from Gatwick Express one. Yes, the previous trains were nicer but this is the UK. The current train is roughly in line with UK trains and experience. It goes every 15 mins. The time is the same i.e. not degraded and yes, it's pricey but HEX is also expensive (especially given short journey time) and so is UK rail travel in general.

Never use trolleys so can't comment. Lounge has nice (albeit small town / regional) feel to it. Premium security is good (when it's open) and yes, the disruptions / chaos are naturally more easily resolved given the smaller nature of the airport and general operation.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 3:51 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Club Carlson Red
Originally Posted by Fruitcake
It is when you have no pound coin, and not expecting this, as happened last time. Just another hassle, helping the airport not the passenger.
You can also use a Euro coin......
Old Jan 20, 2013, 4:16 pm

Then you get to the luggage trolleys and have to hunt for 1 to release one, at least it's not like MAN and you get the money back, but it's nice to keep things simple and just grab a trolley (LHR wins here). Has this been a change under the new owners (I've never needed a trolley at LGW before)?
You no longer get it back at MAN.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 4:46 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by Sigwx
You no longer get it back at MAN.
Don't get me started on trolleys at MAN!!!! Grrrrrrrr!!!!!!
Old Jan 20, 2013, 7:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by layz
It's been a while since I've had the opportunity to travel from LGW ("Your London Airport" as the current branding goes), typical for me my flight is delayed longer than a similarly timed flight from Heathrow which I didn't expect considering the disruption.

A few things I noticed. Whoever's responsible for the railway station has decided to put ticket barriers in, I'm sure the operator of Gatwick had no say in this but it's a hassle when you have a lot of luggage and had already put your ticket away not expecting a barrier. (HEX wins here, Heathrow Connect has barrier at the Paddington end, Tube has barriers at both ends but at least there's Oyster).

I thought no trolleys were allowed on the transit to the North Terminal, but no signs said otherwise and I took the trolley on without complaint.

Wanted to try the print your own bag tags at self service checkin, but the machine was refusing to check me in. No queues at the premium bag drop desks (LGW wins here, slightly, normally quick around a similar time in LHR).

Fast Track (Premium Gatwick) was quicker than its counterpart in LHR.

Lounges: the F lounge feels like I'm in a business class lounge of a regional airport. It's relaxing and peaceful, a bit like the London Room with better catering, but smaller. Couldn't see any hot food on the menu (LHR T5 wins on this one, the ex-bmi lounges in T1 would be on par with this if they offered better catering).
Interesting observation. My preference has always been LHR but last year I travelled LGW-MAN and was pleasantly surprised by the check in and security. I was aware of the train operating company installing barriers but was alarmed at the queue of people queuing to buy tickets at the machines and windows.

Security was quite pleasant and the lounge was OK. Am flying again from here on Thursday (snow permitting) and on a same day return to Nice next month and to Dubrovnik in Sept returning 2 weeks later. For the latter trips will make sure I have my return rail tickets in hand for arrival to avoid the queues.

It was the home to door times are just a tad shorter for me living in Stratford. Not the 35 mins bedroom to plane when using LCY but still a bit quicker than LHR>
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by chris1979
Agree with your comments apart from Gatwick Express one. Yes, the previous trains were nicer but this is the UK. The current train is roughly in line with UK trains and experience. It goes every 15 mins. The time is the same i.e. not degraded and yes, it's pricey but HEX is also expensive (especially given short journey time) and so is UK rail travel in general.
Not sure I'd ever bother with the Gatwick Express. Southern and First Capital Connect services are the same duration or a few minutes more (except a few Southern all-shacks services) and far more price-competitive.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 2:03 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I never get the GEX as I enjoy the inevitable delays on the FC service to St Pancras. 100% late for me (better going to LGW) but it does take me to where I want to be rather than having to take a ride on the tube afterwards to KX/StP.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 2:12 am

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
I've gone through LGW several times in recent months - and I do like it, but since I park at the airport - my perception is that the car park prices have gone up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.