Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

wheelchair assistance when arriving at a remote stand

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2012, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold....er now Silver...er now Bronze....er now Blue

My 76 year old mother broke her foot whilst on hols in Cyprus yesterday.

We are returning tomorrow. She's got a 'fit to fly' letter from the hospital and I have arranged wheelchairs at both ends with the exec club line.

One thing though - LCA arrives at T3 which means a bus not a pier. I mentioned that to BA and the agent was not able to answer what would happen in this case. I think my mother could get down the stairs and into the bus with a bit of help, but walking is a problem once off the bus. Can we arrange for a chair to meet us at the gate where the bus drops us?
Old Dec 28, 2012, 9:00 am

Programs: MUCCI
Which bit of BA did you speak to ? The Passenger Medical Clearance Unit (PMCU ?) ?
Old Dec 28, 2012, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Short Final
Which bit of BA did you speak to ? The Passenger Medical Clearance Unit (PMCU ?) ?
Never heard of them! Just the BAEC silver line.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by irmster
Never heard of them! Just the BAEC silver line.
Telephone: +44 (0)20 8738 5444
Fax: +44 (0)20 8738 9644
Email: [email protected]

No promises, but you might stand a better chance of more knowledgeable answers to medical related issues from them rather than the BAEC line.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Telephone: +44 (0)20 8738 5444
Fax: +44 (0)20 8738 9644
Email: [email protected]

You might stand a better chance of more knowledgeable answers to medical related issues from them rather than the BAEC line.
Much obliged!!
Old Dec 28, 2012, 9:08 am

A quick search also reveals that you can pick between three forms of wheelchair assistance .....

Service 1 (WCHR)
Customer requires assistance to and from the gate, but does not require any special assistance onboard to move around, including use of the onboard wheelchair.
Note: this service option assists customers to the gate; it assumes that the customer can make their own way to the aircraft either by the jetty or on the passenger coach. Service may not be provided on a 1:1 basis.

Service 2 (WCHS)
Customer requires assistance to and from the aircraft gate and assistance with stairs if aircraft is off stand. They do not require assistance onboard to move around, including use of the onboard wheelchair.

Service 3 (WCHC)
Customer requires assistance to and from the aircraft and also needs use of the onboard wheelchair to move around the cabin.
Note: if the customer is travelling on their own - please check they have enough upper body strength to be able to lift them selves onto the onboard wheelchair.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 9:11 am
Original Poster

A quick search also reveals that you can pick between three forms of wheelchair assistance .....

Service 1 (WCHR)
Customer requires assistance to and from the gate, but does not require any special assistance onboard to move around, including use of the onboard wheelchair.
Note: this service option assists customers to the gate; it assumes that the customer can make their own way to the aircraft either by the jetty or on the passenger coach. Service may not be provided on a 1:1 basis.

Service 2 (WCHS)
Customer requires assistance to and from the aircraft gate and assistance with stairs if aircraft is off stand. They do not require assistance onboard to move around, including use of the onboard wheelchair.

Service 3 (WCHC)
Customer requires assistance to and from the aircraft and also needs use of the onboard wheelchair to move around the cabin.
Note: if the customer is travelling on their own - please check they have enough upper body strength to be able to lift them selves onto the onboard wheelchair.
that really useful, thanks. Will discuss with my mother, but I think service 1 would be fine.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 9:19 am

Programs: GHA Gold Priority Club Gold,Etihad Guest,EK Skywards,BA exec and QR privilege
My 76 year old mother broke her foot whilst on hols in Cyprus yesterday.

We are returning tomorrow. She's got a 'fit to fly' letter from the hospital and I have arranged wheelchairs at both ends with the exec club line.

One thing though - LCA arrives at T3 which means a bus not a pier. I mentioned that to BA and the agent was not able to answer what would happen in this case. I think my mother could get down the stairs and into the bus with a bit of help, but walking is a problem once off the bus. Can we arrange for a chair to meet us at the gate where the bus drops us?
My wife cannot do steps to the aircraft or the distances involved getting there so for our outbound flight(last minute change to a bus gate) this month we were transported in a "high lifter" to the side of the aircraft and lifted up to the door used to service the CW falley(772) worked well!
Old Dec 28, 2012, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
All you need to do is make sure the ground staff in LCA log her in the system as a WCHS (wheelchair stagger) this code means that she cannot use steps and a high lift vehicle will automatically meet the aircraft.
Your mother will be taken off the aircraft and they will tell you where she will be dropped off so that you can meet her, she will be then taken in a wheelchair with you to arrivals.
Nothing to worry about at all as this is a normal procedure.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 9:37 am
Original Poster

well, it nearly all went to plan.

Wheelchair at LCA to the lounge and then to the plane was fine.

Crew were excellent.

At LHR though, it went a bit pear shaped. My mother had a chair from the gate to the top level, then a buggy towards immigration. However, the guy driving the buggy suddenly stopped and said he was too busy to go any further as he had others to collect and dumped my mother about 100 yards short of immigration. I managed to find a chair to wheel her through immigration down to the baggage hall. However, I couldn't manage the baggage and a chair, and I couldn't finds anyone to help, so my mother had to limp very slowly out through customs.

Not BA's fault but it caused my mother quite a bit of upset, not to mention pain.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 9:43 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Arienne du Rseau Courte Dure de British Airways
Please complain about the service you were offered.

Unfortunately the airport provide the wheelchair service and it is not as good as it should be.

As a company we need to hear about bad experiences, so that we can get the authorities to improve the service.

Last edited by Littlegirl; Dec 30, 2012 at 10:54 am
Old Dec 30, 2012, 5:02 pm

Programs: BAEC silver
OCS are contracted by HAL (BAA) to provide wheelchair access required by EU law.

Next time when in T5 and you get dumped, find the nearest wall mounted phone and dial 53068. That number will put you through to OCS in T5. I have found all this out the hard way with my own mother. OCS are totally unfit for business at every UK airport they are contracted. MAN totally takes the biscuit.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Dec 30, 2012 at 5:39 pm Reason: Edited to remove individual email addresses
Old Dec 30, 2012, 5:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ACARS

Next time when in T5 and you get dumped, find the nearest wall mounted phone and dial 53068. That number will put you through to OCS in T5. I have found all this out the hard way with my own mother. OCS are totally unfit for business at every UK airport they are contracted. MAN totally takes the biscuit.
Yes a poor show all round.

They seem to be a bunch of cowboys.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 5:27 pm

Programs: BAEC silver
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Yes a poor show all round.

They seem to be a bunch of cowboys.
At least cowboys look the part
Old Dec 30, 2012, 5:30 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
]However, I couldn't manage the baggage and a chair, and I couldn't finds anyone to help, so my mother had to limp very slowly out through customs.
I'm really sorry to hear your mother had to go through this.

I'm actually really appalled that no bystander helped you and your mother to be honest.

Baggage hall is usually quite busy with people, so there must have been someone who realised what was going on, and no-one helped?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.