Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Photographs from your BA travels

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2021, 6:23 am

Programs: BA Gold
A topical photo for today with the inuguration of Joe Biden:

Downtown Washington DC coming in on BA293 LHR-IAD on 9 Jan 2021. The column at the centre is the Washington Monument, with the dome of the Capitol to the right, and the Lincoln Memorial to the left. Squinting you can just make out the top of the White House (which being so small tends to get lost amongst the other buildings).

And whilst we're looking, here's New York - well, under the cloud at the upper left. The suspension bridge is the Verazzano-Narrows bridge that links Brooklyn (left) to Staten Island (right). The lights in the dark area below/left of the bridge are ships on the Hudson River.

As a footnote, I find nightshots very rewarding - when they work. It's a bit hit/miss, but newer cameras are more sensitive (but usually require manual focus). The above shots were at 6400 iso, 1/8 sec & f5.6. Distances can also be deceptive - the bridge in the NYC image was 50 miles away, the downtown DC was 20 miles away. (Many years ago I remember doing night flights in/out of BWI and noting the lights of JFK from 200 miles away!).

Last edited by CKBA; Jan 21, 2021 at 12:53 am
Old Apr 30, 2021, 9:31 am

Whidbey Island and the Puget Sound on approach to Seattle... . (Okay, it was on AS - not BA - but at least OW).
Old Apr 30, 2021, 6:17 pm

My favourite place on earth Death Valley NP, I’ve spent about 12 nights there over the years. And ticked off 21 NPs, this pic overlooking badwater salt flats from Dante’s view, also a filming location from the original Star Wars move
Old May 9, 2021, 8:18 am

The usual array of photographic possibilities in Pike Place Market... .

... with a little side trip to West Seattle (10 min water taxi ride from Pier 50) with views of Seattle and Alki Beach.

pennineuk likes this.
Old May 9, 2021, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Following on from mwp1's Death Valley photo, some taken from there ( several thousand feet below mwp1!)

DVNP Nov 14

Artist's palette DVNP
mwp1 likes this.
Old May 9, 2021, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Following on from mwp1's Death Valley photo, some taken from there ( several thousand feet below mwp1!)

DVNP Nov 14

Artist's palette DVNP

great pics, did you manage to get to the racetrack (the sliding rocks), was about 8 hour return drive 50 miles at no more than 10mph, worst dirt road ever in a low loader car. Well worth it in the end
Old May 9, 2021, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mwp1
great pics, did you manage to get to the racetrack (the sliding rocks), was about 8 hour return drive 50 miles at no more than 10mph, worst dirt road ever in a low loader car. Well worth it in the end
hi,

Unfortunately not. This was on a day tour from Las Vegas in November 2014 and also did the rock n roll Las Vegas half marathon on the strip that week.

Regards

Tbs
mwp1 likes this.
Old May 9, 2021, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum

DVNP Nov 14

Artist's palette DVNP
Great photos - they've got their feet and metres mixed up!
Old May 9, 2021, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
Great photos - they've got their feet and metres mixed up!
I guess you missed the decimal point
Old May 10, 2021, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
I guess you missed the decimal point
Guilty as charged - it looked more like a / and yes I did miss the decimal point also....
Old May 10, 2021, 8:50 am

My photo is inbetween 5–6 thousand feet above were the OP photo was taken which is the hottest lowest and driest place in the Western Hemisphere, great in an air con car in November , July on Harley Davidsons was just a death wish
Old May 10, 2021, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi,
.they also have a small black and white marker on the mountainside saying sea level but it can be a bit hard to make out the sign from the bad water sign.

Felt a little unusual on the road down to the valley when you pass by the sea level sign on the side of the highway and you are still going down!
regards

Tbs
Old May 10, 2021, 9:19 am

Hi,
.they also have a small black and white marker on the mountainside saying sea level but it can be a bit hard to make out the sign from the bad water sign.

Felt a little unusual on the road down to the valley when you pass by the sea level sign on the side of the highway and you are still going down!
regards

Tbs
yeah, I saw that probabley the size of a postal box
Old Jul 15, 2021, 10:54 am

I'll leave folks to guess where it is for a while.... ;-)

(Okay... it's Cornwall).

Last edited by CKBA; Jul 23, 2021 at 2:38 pm
Old Jul 23, 2021, 2:42 pm

Londres sur mer...

(with BA8486 PMI-LCY overhead)

1Aturnleft likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.