Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JER - BA schedule changes

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2013, 5:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond + Ambassador, Accor Gold, Avis President's Club, Heathrow Rewards
I'm very sorry, but you all need to get a bit of perspective.

You're complaining about having 5 connections a day between a bit of rock before the French coast and the UK mainland? Sounds a bit parochial as far as complaints go to be honest.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
But aren't most complaints a bit parochial?

Remember this is our primary life-line, for our finance and tourism industries. Hopping on a trail isn't an option, the fast ferries can't operate if the sea is rough (3.5m wave height limit) and the slow ferry is … slow.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 6:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond + Ambassador, Accor Gold, Avis President's Club, Heathrow Rewards
Originally Posted by T8191
But aren't most complaints a bit parochial?
On this forum most certainly, especially the last two days.

Originally Posted by T8191
Remember this is our primary life-line, for our finance and tourism industries. Hopping on a trail isn't an option, the fast ferries can't operate if the sea is rough (3.5m wave height limit) and the slow ferry is … slow.
I understand that, but it's really not like you're cut off from civilisation with 5 flights a day!

I might have some sympathy with your tourism industry (which, frankly, will not suffer from this IMHO), but you'll get none for any bankers that might want to pop over back and forward to the city.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 3:50 pm

Moving jersey to LHR must have been an option for post bmi "slot sitting". Does anyone know why it was not taken up ? It would surely have been more cost effective than starting Leeds Bradford and then canning it in a while?
Old Jan 19, 2013, 4:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by riga
Moving jersey to LHR must have been an option for post bmi "slot sitting". Does anyone know why it was not taken up ? It would surely have been more cost effective than starting Leeds Bradford and then canning it in a while?
I think it was to do with LBA recycling the ex BMI MAN slots which works well as the flight time and general routing would be the same.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 5:16 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.

riga......

This is a question you have asked a number of times........

Don't think it is going to change..... do you????

BMI couldn't make a profit on the JER LHR run.......
BA did run from both LHR and LGW, but only offer flights from LGW......
~ Simply, they can make more money on other routes from LHR......
~ Lets not forget that the JER service has (I understand) the highest number of weather canx too...

As much as I would like to see a LHR ~ JER service, I think the only way that would happen is if a new airline..... lets call it errrr......
~ Jersey European Airways ~ set up and bid for slots.

I am pleased that BA still offer a service to the island..... But I wouldn't be shocked if they withdrew and only offered a code share with FLYMAYBE...

List of Domestics withdrawn from LGW operated by BA / BA franchise include...
Aberdeen
Inverness
Newcastle
Leeds Bradford
Plymouth
Bristol
Newquay
Guernsey
and soon..... Manchester. Food for thought.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 5:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by Skipcool3

riga......

This is a question you have asked a number of times........

Don't think it is going to change..... do you????

BMI couldn't make a profit on the JER LHR run.......
BA did run from both LHR and LGW, but only offer flights from LGW......
~ Simply, they can make more money on other routes from LHR......
~ Lets not forget that the JER service has (I understand) the highest number of weather canx too...

As much as I would like to see a LHR ~ JER service, I think the only way that would happen is if a new airline..... lets call it errrr......
~ Jersey European Airways ~ set up and bid for slots.

I am pleased that BA still offer a service to the island..... But I wouldn't be shocked if they withdrew and only offered a code share with FLYMAYBE...

List of Domestics withdrawn from LGW operated by BA / BA franchise include...
Aberdeen
Inverness
Newcastle
Leeds Bradford
Plymouth
Bristol
Newquay
Guernsey
and soon..... Manchester. Food for thought.
Shhh you will get Simon upset about NQY flights being withdrawn again but the future is orange in that vein.

Seriously, I lived in Jersey for 2 years this was about 10 years ago when BA flew into SOU, CDG and LGW from the rock. It seems that all they care of is money and do not have an allegiance to economies or livelyhoods. Looking at the timetable for LGW-JER for the first week in April is a mess.

I used to live in Southampton and all non work travel was at my own expense and I would fly into LGW and get the train if it was a lot cheaper than the SOU flights. Probably ended up doing about 50/50 as a lot of people forget that flying into SOU with its rapid luggage claim, train station adjoining the terminal building you can be in London in pretty much the same time as you can when arriving into LGW.

The ground crew would reroute me on whichever routes in the event of IRROPS but I would usually travel to SOU the night before have a meal with my parents then head up to LHR the following morning.

Returning from JFK sometimes I used to go JFK-MAN-SOU to avoid the LHR-LGW shuffle with luggage through checked and used to pop home for a couple of hours at SOU again for a shower.

I am surprised BA hasnt moved an early morning and evening rotation to LHR at the end of the day there is a lot of connecting traffic and I think that they would be able to sustain it rather than upset the people on the rock at the moment and those that do their TP runs.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 4:43 am

Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
It seems that all they care of is money and do not have an allegiance to economies or livelyhoods.
With all due respect, they are a business. I don't think it is particularly reasonable to expect a commercial business to run non profitable services.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.