Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JER - BA schedule changes

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2012, 6:20 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by kered
Of course, depending on who you are & how you are regarded on this forum, you will either be showered with sympathy, or told that this is simply a commercial decision made by BA & they know best, so just go suck it up, or fly another airline !!
No disrespect to Mr. T. but that's exactly what I was thinking as I read the responses.

Of course, Mr. T. didn't rant about the changes, just stated the facts and the impact on his travel plans, so that undoubted helped too.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 6:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by T8191
Jet2 do something JER-LBA but only May-Sep, IIRC.
Is there something from Dundee, or has that been discontinued?
Old Dec 13, 2012, 6:46 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
What about the BWI-LHR flight? Not that you'd be much better off
Old Dec 13, 2012, 6:50 am

Similar thing has just happened to me......yet another elderly victim of BA re-scheduling. Just been notified of a change to the departure time of our GLA-LHR sector.

The 1487 is now to depart 5 minutes earlier. That'll mean one less sherry in the lounge for me......unless. Maybe we could check out of the hotel earlier.....forego that extra breakfast sausage to speed things up a bit?
I shall need to go and revise and edit our itinerary now.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 6:51 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
I hate it when schedules change like this. The best laid plans etc. lead to such disappoinment as has been expressed here. Looking on the positive side it will create a new angle for a trip report.

They have probably made the assumption that most people who can live on Jersey can afford excess baggage charges on some of the other options to and from the islands.

Its the poor cat I feel sorry for most, those catteries can be depressing places.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 7:30 am

Rejected IAD-LHR on 264 [2040-0915]: late checkout is pushing it at 1660, extra day's car rental needed, and Beltway traffic to get to IAD. Oh, and the later arrival at JER mean an extra day's cattery fees, as we now won't able to collect her before their cut-off time.
It might be worth spending some time thinking "outside the box" to help mitigate these changes. Would it be worth arriving at Dulles at your normal time, but catching the later flight (to spend more time in the Dulles lounge then the LGW lounge) - I personally would say yes if you were all in CW, but not if you have two WT+ guests. Is it worth shifting your outbound flights so you travel in a single day, offsetting the cattery fees? There's lots of options available, so I wouldn't rush in confirming the changes with BA. Shame that DL no longer fly from LGW - where do VS send their UC suites from Gatwick? There's also US, but I've never flown Envoy class with them, but may be worth checking out.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Paralytic
No disrespect to Mr. T. but that's exactly what I was thinking as I read the responses.

Of course, Mr. T. didn't rant about the changes, just stated the facts and the impact on his travel plans, so that undoubted helped too.
My point in posting, apart from having a personal whimper, was of course to alert the FT community [especially TP-runners who like the JER option] that things are not going to be as they were.

Sympathy is much appreciated, as are other suggestions like flying on an American airline

I'll catch up with the rest later - I'm making dinner.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 9:38 am

Just noticed they've changed the time of our 1486 as well. Instead of leaving at 1900 it now leaves at 18.45....which suits us better as we arrive to T5 at 15.35.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 710 77345
It might be worth spending some time thinking "outside the box" to help mitigate these changes. Would it be worth arriving at Dulles at your normal time, but catching the later flight (to spend more time in the Dulles lounge then the LGW lounge) - I personally would say yes if you were all in CW, but not if you have two WT+ guests.
I'll pass on the cattery aspect - at £9.50 a day it's not an issue, even though Storm would be unimpressed!

Hmmm - arrive at IAD at usual time [c.1445] and loiter in the Lounge until the 264 at 2040. No problem with guesting the other 2: we can do that as Silvers/CW pax. So something like 5 hours in the BA Corridor [aka Lounge] at IAD? Hmmm. And still the prospect of another 3+ hours at LGW the next day.

Anywaaaaaay … this isn't about "Me". It's about the shift of a midday flight so that all 5 JER-LGW are either early morning or late afternoon. In other words, a 6-7 hour gap in the middle of the day with no flights.
Originally Posted by HIDDY
The 1487 is now to depart 5 minutes earlier. That'll mean one less sherry in the lounge for me......unless. Maybe we could check out of the hotel earlier.....forego that extra breakfast sausage to speed things up a bit?
I shall need to go and revise and edit our itinerary now.
It's a good job I know you - vaguely!
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:02 am

Programs: BA Silver
Ok, if we're making this a general "they changed the time of our flight" thread, then our departure and return flights to/from MRU next year have changed from 21:05 and 20:50 respectively to the following days at 15:00 and 08:00. Beat that

Luckily, we'd not confirmed our hotel booking so it wasn't too much of a hassle.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Paralytic
Ok, if we're making this a general "they changed the time of our flight" thread, then our departure and return flights to/from MRU next year have changed from 21:05 and 20:50 respectively to the following days at 15:00 and 08:00. Beat that

Luckily, we'd not confirmed our hotel booking so it wasn't too much of a hassle.
No, it's a "Jersey Schedules are Changing" Thread
That's why I said "However, any TP-Runners might like to note what's on offer in May/Jun 2013. I suspect you will have to exploit dummy bookings yourselves to see 'when', as BA doesn't actually publish a Timetable (as in a Table of Times)."

It drifted off the original subject, as is the way on this Forum

Last edited by T8191; Dec 13, 2012 at 11:23 am Reason: Formatting for emphasis
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:48 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Originally Posted by Jenbel
Is there something from Dundee, or has that been discontinued?
Summer only, and I think charters through a local non-chain Travel Agent.

FWIW, Dundee's lost the FlyMaybe (or FlyNot, in my attempt to fly from Dundee with them) to Belfast and Birmingham services leaving CityJet to London City as the only year round services.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:59 am

Programs: BA Gold
It's a PITA for me. Waited over 4 hours at JER today to then be told my flight was cancelled because of fog, got the ba.com hotel booking back but not the return on a separate booking on Saturday (way out I used Avios), but now I am £130 out of pocket. Not a happy bunny.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Athlete95
It's a PITA for me. Waited over 4 hours at JER today to then be told my flight was cancelled because of fog, got the ba.com hotel booking back but not the return on a separate booking on Saturday (way out I used Avios), but now I am £130 out of pocket. Not a happy bunny.
Hello, stranger.

However, you are talking about fog delays, not the re-scheduling of the JER/LGW flights next year. Do try to keep up!!

Oh, and as you're here, where's that amazing Indian TR?
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:27 am

Hmmm - arrive at IAD at usual time [c.1445] and loiter in the Lounge until the 264 at 2040. No problem with guesting the other 2: we can do that as Silvers/CW pax. So something like 5 hours in the BA Corridor [aka Lounge] at IAD? Hmmm. And still the prospect of another 3+ hours at LGW the next day.
Without wishing to go against your wishes and make the thread all about you, I will quietly point out that although the corridor will have self-serve champagne, your guests will not have access to the same dining facilities as you - hence the change in my recommendation.

Alternatively, why not try something different and travel VS - a new lounge might be more interesting, and a limo to take you straight to Gatwick might make things smoother. Or there's BA/VS to Gatwick direct from Orlando, which has plenty of flights from Reagan.

Plenty of options for you at least - I hope that it all works for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.