Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Only Slightly OT - Virgin win EDI & ABZ Heathrow routes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Only Slightly OT - Virgin win EDI & ABZ Heathrow routes

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2012, 6:20 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
I would imagine they would like to use T3. I suppose this needs a way for domestic passengers to exit the terminal though.

I don't think the slots go with a particular terminal. BA have moved some BMI flights to T5 and other BA flights from T5 to T1.

Last edited by Littlegirl; Nov 21, 2012 at 6:49 am
Old Nov 21, 2012, 6:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, EY Gold.
Seems the routes will be operated by a Lithuanian Charter company, Avion Express. They are actively recruiting for A320 pilots and cabin crew for a 'long term contract' based at LHR from March 2013.

http://flyavex.com/carrier-oppurtunities
Old Nov 21, 2012, 6:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
I think the idea that VS is going to equip these wet leased aircraft with cradle seats a la VX, and build a domestic lounge in T1, is just fanciful.

It'll be all-economy, probably BYOB, with perhaps a red Virgin antimacassar on the seat if you're lucky. Maybe one might get a VS red tail on the outside.

Just my $0.02.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 6:37 am

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn

The competition will be good for BA will be interested to see what the inflight experience with VS will be. I believe they are going to be using T1 which will be a nightmare to connect to T3.
Which means BA will likely be ahead on the lounge front. I did suspect that BA might hold onto the BD lounge at EDI just to frustrate any new entrant, the generic servisair lounges are always a bit suboptimal.

I'm guessing BA will hold onto both lounges at T1, they probably need the space, but think that leaves VS with limited options until the new terminal opens, (which presumably will have a domestic capability?)
Old Nov 21, 2012, 6:42 am

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
Originally Posted by BahrainLad
I think the idea that VS is going to equip these wet leased aircraft with cradle seats a la VX, and build a domestic lounge in T1, is just fanciful.

It'll be all-economy, probably BYOB, with perhaps a red Virgin antimacassar on the seat if you're lucky. Maybe one might get a VS red tail on the outside.

Just my $0.02.
Sounds like they might bring standards down, not up. I hope you're wrong, but think you might be right.

(I'm sure the launch PR will be great tho...)
Old Nov 21, 2012, 6:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Dan72
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn

The competition will be good for BA will be interested to see what the inflight experience with VS will be. I believe they are going to be using T1 which will be a nightmare to connect to T3.
Which means BA will likely be ahead on the lounge front. I did suspect that BA might hold onto the BD lounge at EDI just to frustrate any new entrant, the generic servisair lounges are always a bit suboptimal.

I'm guessing BA will hold onto both lounges at T1, they probably need the space, but think that leaves VS with limited options until the new terminal opens, (which presumably will have a domestic capability?)
Please don't suggest this in public, the next thing we will hear is Beardy taking BAA and BA to court demanding that BA give up lounge area as part of the remedy slots
Old Nov 21, 2012, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by Littlegirl
I would imagine they will use T3.

I don't think the slots go with a particular terminal. BA have moved some BMI flights to T5 and other BA flights from T5 to T1.
It's possible I guess, but at the moment T3 has no domestic capability. It certainly would be cheaper to base at T1 rather than pay whatever BAA required to remodel T3 to be suitable for domestics.

This page suggests that they'll be using T1 and a 'partner lounge' in LHR T1 and MAN T3. That suggests to me they'll be using the servisair lounge in T1 and the former bmi lounge which is going to become a contract lounge in MAN.

Unless they join *A and then they can use that lounge in T1.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 6:50 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
Originally Posted by layz
It's possible I guess, but at the moment T3 has no domestic capability. It certainly would be cheaper to base at T1 rather than pay whatever BAA required to remodel T3 to be suitable for domestics.

This page suggests that they'll be using T1 and a 'partner lounge' in LHR T1 and MAN T3. That suggests to me they'll be using the servisair lounge in T1 and the former bmi lounge which is going to become a contract lounge in MAN.

Thanks. Yes I only just remembered that!
Old Nov 21, 2012, 7:23 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS Silver
Originally Posted by layz

Or, if the rumoured conversion of gate 8 to international goes ahead resulting in the few remaining domestics moving out to the green mile, VS might use the lounge of their 'partner' EI, out by gate 90?
Old Nov 21, 2012, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by Littlegirl
I would imagine they would like to use T3. I suppose this needs a way for domestic passengers to exit the terminal though.

I tend to agree with you Littlegirl

Just guessing, but if BAA did make a route for domestic passengers to exit T1, i would hope that BA would also be interested in moving its existing operations into T3 rather quickly

cs
Old Nov 21, 2012, 7:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Originally Posted by Dan72
Sounds like they might bring standards down, not up. I hope you're wrong, but think you might be right.

(I'm sure the launch PR will be great tho...)
You heard it here first...
Old Nov 21, 2012, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by cornishsimon
I tend to agree with you Littlegirl

Just guessing, but if BAA did make a route for domestic passengers to exit T1, i would hope that BA would also be interested in moving its existing operations into T3 rather quickly

cs
It's not just an exit, it's baggage reclaim, you'd need either an extra belt or fence off an existing one. So they'd need dedicated gates that could be either domestic only or mixed use and then they'd have to channel arrivals into a domestic reclaim hall bypassing immigration and customs.

Remember BA also operate some international flights from T1, so it's not just domestic provision that's keeping certain flights in T1.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 8:16 am

Programs: Mucci (Scirocco Sash), BAEC Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
This page on their website would seem fairly definitive that they will be using LHR T1

http://virginatlantic.custhelp.com/a...VGTVFibA%3D%3D
Old Nov 21, 2012, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by daftboy
This page on their website would seem fairly definitive that they will be using LHR T1

http://virginatlantic.custhelp.com/a...VGTVFibA%3D%3D
Well I guess that's a shame for the Virgin Frequent Flyers who won't get to use the Clubhouse lounge.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 9:27 am

Programs: BA silver
Will be interesting to see what it means for Aberdeen flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.