Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Only Slightly OT - Virgin win EDI & ABZ Heathrow routes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Only Slightly OT - Virgin win EDI & ABZ Heathrow routes

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2012, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by xenole
At £47.55 for one-way from MAN-LHR and 1 TP, easy way of gaining status with them.
About £2 cheaper than BA for the dates I looked at with them leaving 10 mins earlier (and taking 10 mins longer?)
Do VS charge credit card fees? I havent flown with them since the age when it was my parents doing the booking.

Last edited by 1010101; Nov 19, 2012 at 7:20 am
Old Nov 19, 2012, 7:10 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Originally Posted by seat 13a
BA now flying 767 wide body into EDI/GLA
But it's also combining flights with annoying regularity, so no net difference - average fares have definitely risen, albeit by only about 25% in my experience.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 7:35 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Originally Posted by Chris Gilmour
BMI wasn't able to make a lot of dosh on the EDI route so I'm wondering how Virgin plans to do so.
From what I hear around the web is that bmi were carrying alot of other airlines connecting traffic on these services (at interline rates).

Presumably VS will be carrying its own connecting pax to feed its own longhaul flights - which is what BA do and it seems to work ok for them.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 8:00 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond
I received the following email from Virgin this lunchtime:

Dear francismc,

We are excited to announce that we have been offered all of the Heathrow short haul remedy slots available following the International Airline Group's acquisition of bmi.

We have fought hard for the right to fly short haul and take a strong challenge to British Airways within these shores. For 28 years both airlines have battled for customers all over the world and it has meant that British consumers have ultimately had some of the world's best flying and lowest fares.

This is the beginning of an exciting new era in Virgin Atlantic history and we now feel a responsibility to everyone that has supported us in this challenge. You can look forward to a great short haul service with us but most importantly reap the benefits from the re-injection of vital competition we can provide on these routes.

Over the next two weeks, we will work to finalise our plans for utilisation of the available remedy slots and to confirm a flying timetable. We will primarily focus on flying between Scotland and Heathrow, running multiple daily flights from Edinburgh and Aberdeen to London Heathrow.

Flights will commence around 31st March 2013 and complement the new Heathrow to Manchester route that we are also introducing next year. We will be working with a wet lease partner to provide narrow body Airbus A320 aircraft to operate these short haul flights.

We will be revealing specific details of our short haul product and famed onboard customer experience in the coming months, so watch this space!.

We look forward to seeing you onboard soon

Steve Ridgway
Chief Executive - Virgin Atlantic Airways
Old Nov 19, 2012, 8:30 am

Programs: BA Bronze, GF, EK, WY
Originally Posted by francismc
Snip ...

We will be working with a wet lease partner to provide narrow body Airbus A320 aircraft to operate these short haul flights.

We will be revealing specific details of our short haul product and famed onboard customer experience in the coming months, so watch this space!.

Damp ? Or just slightly moist ?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 8:35 am

So it won't be a Virgin aircraft or Virgin crew...
Old Nov 19, 2012, 8:36 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by johnny5a
Depends whether VS can make the routes financially viable.
I'm sure Virgin is looking at the longer term. As I understand it, in 2016 the restrictions on the slots are lifted and VS will be free to convert some if not all to long-haul.

That said, if all goes well for VS demand is likely to decrease for BA - maybe there will be an opportunity/excuse to consolidate the schedule somewhat and open up a few slot pairs.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by phol
Do VS charge credit card fees?
Yes, 2.5% IIRC if you book with VS, and it's on the WHOLE amount! Double miles with Virgin Flying Club, up to 4x with the black AmEx.

Probably better to book with Expedia or other TA.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 8:37 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by BApilotinsider
So it won't be a Virgin aircraft or Virgin crew...
...and we, the pax, care because.....
Old Nov 19, 2012, 8:39 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by SonTech
might be better to check the same fare buckets as I suspect most of the cheaper BA tickets had been sold.
All I care about (relatively speaking) is the cash I save on a like-for-like flight. With the added bonus I can also get miles in their programme to boot.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 8:41 am
NoY

Originally Posted by adrianjc32
It's great that there is competition on these routes. Virgin used to get a large feed through their agreements with bmi so in a way this will just restore that traffic.

Saudi Arabi and Dubai are different in the way they handle things like that.
Relatively, yes, in the big picture though, where there's a will there's a way
Old Nov 19, 2012, 8:44 am

BMI was making horrendous losses on it's domestic network before it's demise. BA still claims not to make any profit on most of it's shorthaul network.

Virgin lost over £80 million last year, hmmm...

And why if they were so committed to the UK regions did they for the last few years lease out spare LHR slots they owned to other carriers. They could have started them years ago?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 8:44 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
Originally Posted by NoY
...and we, the pax, care because.....
.......because it isn't really Virgin if it is a wet lease and it sounds like an expensive way to run a shorthaul network!

However if he makes it work that's fine. A flight is a flight, what people want is regular, reliable, reasonable flights. BMI offered competition to BA and now it will be Virgin.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 9:03 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Originally Posted by BApilotinsider
BMI was making horrendous losses on it's domestic network before it's demise. BA still claims not to make any profit on most of it's shorthaul network.

Virgin lost over £80 million last year, hmmm...

And why if they were so committed to the UK regions did they for the last few years lease out spare LHR slots they owned to other carriers. They could have started them years ago?
I doubt VS could have started a viable shorthaul netwrok with the 3 slots they had leased out

Perhaps they realise that they might loose a little on shorthaul, but deem it worthy if they can get enough pax connecting onto their OWN LHR long haul flights and therefore providing profits on longhaul- exactly what BA do.

Originally Posted by Littlegirl
.......because it isn't really Virgin if it is a wet lease and it sounds like an expensive way to run a shorthaul network!

I don't think they had much choice... they have 3-4 months to start the route from this announcement. Hardly enough time to order aircraft and get crews trained up etc.... makes sense for them to capitalise on this one off gain (ie 14 LHR slots in one hit). Sure it might be costly short term, but the long term gain is worth it.

Crew will wear Virgin uniforms, aircraft will wear Virgin colours and the onboard service will be per Virgin's standard. So to the average punter they will not know anything about it being a wetlease.

Kind of like most pax don't realise that most groundstaff wearing an airline's uniform aren't actually employed directly by the airline... Or looking back a little how most BA pax wouldn't have realised they weren't on BA if the were flying GB/BMED etc

As for being costly - presumably they have done the numbers... I guess the benefit of a wetlease is you know what the costs will be upfront.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 9:16 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
Originally Posted by ANstar
I doubt VS could have started a viable shorthaul netwrok with the 3 slots they had leased out

Perhaps they realise that they might loose a little on shorthaul, but deem it worthy if they can get enough pax connecting onto their OWN LHR long haul flights and therefore providing profits on longhaul- exactly what BA do.

I don't think they had much choice... they have 3-4 months to start the route from this announcement. Hardly enough time to order aircraft and get crews trained up etc.... makes sense for them to capitalise on this one off gain (ie 14 LHR slots in one hit). Sure it might be costly short term, but the long term gain is worth it.

Crew will wear Virgin uniforms, aircraft will wear Virgin colours and the onboard service will be per Virgin's standard. So to the average punter they will not know anything about it being a wetlease.

Kind of like most pax don't realise that most groundstaff wearing an airline's uniform aren't actually employed directly by the airline... Or looking back a little how most BA pax wouldn't have realised they weren't on BA if the were flying GB/BMED etc

As for being costly - presumably they have done the numbers... I guess the benefit of a wetlease is you know what the costs will be upfront.
I was not criticising it at all. I was just explaining that wet lease is not actually Virgin crew, and that this is an expensive venture, that's all, just stating a fact which you seem to agree with.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.