Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Only Slightly OT - Virgin win EDI & ABZ Heathrow routes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Only Slightly OT - Virgin win EDI & ABZ Heathrow routes

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2012, 1:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by kanderson1965
Much as I welcome the competition as others have stated to peg back excessive prices, I genuinely hope that, given their history, they do not engage in a detrimental price war. There are certainly people around who would like to see the back of domestic flights, and they would be more than pleased if airlines decided that it was not worth the effort due to too low fares.

As an aside I wonder what people would regard as a fair price for a discounted LHR - EDI return. As a starter, I would suggest around £125 to £150.
I'd say between £100 and £130. 2 years ago I was paying £90 and now I can't get it less than £110, but mostly £130. Stopping domestic flying would be a disaster for airborne commuters like me. I can leave Edi on a Tues morning and be at my desk in London for half 9. Using the train would stop all that!
Old Nov 19, 2012, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by Arranguez
I'd say between £100 and £130. 2 years ago I was paying £90 and now I can't get it less than £110, but mostly £130. Stopping domestic flying would be a disaster for airborne commuters like me. I can leave Edi on a Tues morning and be at my desk in London for half 9. Using the train would stop all that!
You may have done already but have you considered the Sleeper as an option?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 1:31 pm

Programs: BA-GGL, SU-G Agean, G,, Hhonours D, Starwood G, IHG G,
Originally Posted by cazoz
Because Easyjet got the Moscow rights, presumably planned from Gatwick - does this mean Virgin have actually won bmi's Moscow LHR slots - but cannot fly there so therefore can fly elsewhere using them?

If so, would it have to be Riyadh, Cairo or Nice? Or Edinburgh/Aberdeen?

Or could they operate a new long haul route? Glasgow would be great too - must be on the list if the others are a success.
Yes Virgin won the BMI Moscow Slots at LHR, but due to the Original Soviet Restrictions that carried over to the Russian federation, there remains a limit of two carriers.

This however could potentially change quickly for a variety of reasons. UTAir wants the rights to fly VKO to London, S7 are making noises about DME to London as well. Transaero have announced a partnership with Virgin and are backing them in government talks. All of these airlines are having talks with the government, who a week or so ago announced that it is likely they will remove the restrictions. There is also a big push towards getting carriers into the new 4th airport (I forget the name, its a former Air Base and Research Centre, just north of Bykovo Airport and you actually see it out of the left hand side window on a clockwise approach to DME along with Bykovo, the emergency strip and another air base which I forget the name of again), so Virgin if allowed may fly from there or VKO.

Also re the Easyjet SVO Services. They are going to have a interesting problem, as the Government announced that Terminal's D, E and F are now Only Aeroflot and Sky Team and, are kicking out the likes of Finnair, SAS and LOT pushing them into Terminal C, which is currently mainly Domestic, with a few International Flights Terminal a 30 minute run by extortionate taxi to the main terminals and the Trains to Moscow, so Easyjet Passengers are going to have a rotten time getting in. I have to say as someone who has used A, B & C that they all make the worst Indian Airports look like the CCL in T5 in comparison!
Old Nov 19, 2012, 1:37 pm

Programs: BA silver, Hilton diamond, Marriott titanium, IHG platinum
Much as I welcome the competition as others have stated to peg back excessive prices, I genuinely hope that, given their history, they do not engage in a detrimental price war. There are certainly people around who would like to see the back of domestic flights, and they would be more than pleased if airlines decided that it was not worth the effort due to too low fares.

As an aside I wonder what people would regard as a fair price for a discounted LHR - EDI return. As a starter, I would suggest around £125 to £150.

What he said - rail is an off peak luxury, not a commuter option. And plenty of us commute Scotland - London... Competition helps us all...
Old Nov 19, 2012, 1:38 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Even if you score the lowest published fare, the overall fare does increase eleven fold after APD, fuel surcharges, and airport fees are added.

For example, here's how BA's cheapest one way fare from LHR to EDI is calculated:

Net fare: £5.00 (O class)
Taxes, fees, and carrier charges: £56.05
Air Passenger Duty: £13.00
Passenger Service Charge: £24.55
Fuel surcharge: £18.50
Total ticket cost: £61.05

That's the reality of flying on UK domestic services in/out of Heathrow today.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 1:39 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold

I agree totally that the demise of domestic flights would be a disaster. Unfortunately as we have seen during the third runway debate there seems a lot of people opposed to them. The best way I can see to defend domestics against their opponents is to have healthy competition that encourages increased traffic.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 2:05 pm

Programs: BA Silver, VS Silver
Originally Posted by wyvern
Good for BA to have some competition. Anything that might make BA keep fairs competitive, improve the ground product at its dedicated LHR terminal, and pay for fast track security all at UK regional airports for Business UK and Gold/Silver would be a good thing!
Competition is always good. Don't forget that the highly competitive UK market is what has kept BA innovating and given us some market leading products on long-haul.

BA need another "full service carrier" to keep their domestic service from slipping!
Old Nov 19, 2012, 2:06 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by ian001
No they can't.

After three years they can use the slots for other short-haul routes or the long-haul routes identified in the competition commitments, but they just can't keep them running for three years and use them for any long-haul route.
Oh my bad. Evidently been fed the wrong information!
Old Nov 19, 2012, 2:57 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by Prospero
Even if you score the lowest published fare, the overall fare does increase eleven fold after APD, fuel surcharges, and airport fees are added.

For example, here's how BA's cheapest one way fare from LHR to EDI is calculated:

Net fare: £5.00 (O class)
Taxes, fees, and carrier charges: £56.05
Air Passenger Duty: £13.00
Passenger Service Charge: £24.55
Fuel surcharge: £18.50
Total ticket cost: £61.05

That's the reality of flying on UK domestic services in/out of Heathrow today.
That may well be the case but at the start of the year I was paying £39 all in to fly BMI to MAN and lowest inclusive fare MAN-LHR was £29.

Now the cheapest fare LHR-MAN return is around £106, a few £££ less if flying to/from Gatwick which you can only do for the next few months.

The competition will be good for BA will be interested to see what the inflight experience with VS will be. I believe they are going to be using T1 which will be a nightmare to connect to T3.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 3:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by SonTech
might be better to check the same fare buckets as I suspect most of the cheaper BA tickets had been sold.
Although I imagine that depends on how many seats they allocate to each particular fare bucket.

I noticed today that fares on the LHR-EDI route for next May have come down by around 25% for the same flights that I'd looked at the other day while GLA's remain 30% more expensive.....coincidence?
Old Nov 21, 2012, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by cornishsimon
Do we know who yet ?

cs
If I was a betting man, I might put money on Avion Express...

http://jobs.flightglobal.com/employe...avion-express/
Old Nov 21, 2012, 5:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by Scott Pilgrim
If I was a betting man, I might put money on Avion Express...

http://jobs.flightglobal.com/employe...avion-express/

As in
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avion_Express

?

Looks like a half decent bet looking at start dates posted on the link

cs
Old Nov 21, 2012, 6:03 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Originally Posted by Virgin
We have fought hard for the right to fly short haul
What. Utter. Rubbish. Could Mr. Ridgeway tell us what laws were stopping him from offering a short haul service in the last 20 years?
Old Nov 21, 2012, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by BahrainLad
What. Utter. Rubbish. Could Mr. Ridgeway tell us what laws were stopping him from offering a short haul service in the last 20 years?

Well exactly, im sure they could of set up SEN-EDI many years ago

cs
Old Nov 21, 2012, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
The competition will be good for BA will be interested to see what the inflight experience with VS will be. I believe they are going to be using T1 which will be a nightmare to connect to T3.
The connection T1 to T3 will what VS customers are used to anyway as they used to codeshare with bmi and I'm sure T5 to T3 or T1 is just as bad. You'd expect them likely to negotiate codeshares with the *A partners that used to codeshare with bmi and many of them are based in T1 so connections would be great for them.

Also those transferring to central London have a faster ride on the HEX. So T1 does have some advantages.

What will they do for a lounge though? If they could use T3 then they'd have the Clubhouse which would help sell tickets in the business cabin (I think I read they plan one) and encourage domestic passengers to build status. At T1 they might get the London Room if they're lucky and BA decides to consolidate domestic and international into the Great British Lounge, if BA keep the London Room there's not many options. The bmi domestic lounge used to have a smaller upper floor area which could be reopened if the area is not being used, but new access stairs would have to be built for it. There's a Servisair lounge in T1 but currently only limited to international passengers and last time I used it I thought it was worse than the ex-bmi offerings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.