FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Your guide to spending Avios [Beta] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1379276-your-guide-spending-avios-beta.html)

Wozza2404 Aug 6, 2013 6:35 am

Originally Posted by onlysuites (Post 21222998)
I wonder why they charged me £40. I am currently travelling, is there a email address for EC or shall I just use the contact us for complaints procedure?

Is there not a specific email for EC?

Nope, just the webform.

Unless you're away for more than 2 weeks I'd wait until you're home and call them. Webform enquiries are taking over 2 weeks to answer at the moment.

onlysuites Aug 6, 2013 6:39 am

Originally Posted by Wozza2404 (Post 21223057)
Nope, just the webform.

Unless you're away for more than 2 weeks I'd wait until you're home and call them. Webform enquiries are taking over 2 weeks to answer at the moment.

Ok thanks. ^

JnsV Aug 6, 2013 11:57 am

Originally Posted by Wozza2404 (Post 21217533)
Do you have enough Avios in your BAEC account for a return in CE? If not, that may be why you're not seeing anything.

Not enough for a return, that's true, but this was not an issue previously. Anyway, the new interface seems to show all cabins regardless of the initial selection, so in the end I can do what I want.

Originally Posted by Wozza2404 (Post 21217533)
There will be a slider on the "explore and check availability" map which is set at the number of Avios on your account. Move this up to a higher number and see what happens.

The map still does not work at all for me, but I can search by segment, so it's not a big issue.

davinci1 Aug 7, 2013 9:56 pm

I have an IB account which I opened a while ago, planning to use my BA miles one day. I have 2 questions:
1. why does it restrict the cities I can fly from in the USA? Oneworld services many more cities. I am trying to get a quote from SFO-BRU. Oneworld services SFO (BA, AA, ...).

2. Since I could not fly from SFO, I picked LAX, just to get a quote. Has IB started charging fees like BA? Is it because I picked BA for my flights, but other airlines will not require such fees?

Taxes, fees and carrier charges
Service fees No.Passengers Total Avios Total
Adult 60,000 0.00 + 656.52 0 x1 60,000 656.52

I stop trying to search on IB, their website keeps timing out :(

THanks.

nux Aug 8, 2013 1:47 am

Originally Posted by davinci1 (Post 21234380)
I have an IB account which I opened a while ago, planning to use my BA miles one day. I have 2 questions:
1. why does it restrict the cities I can fly from in the USA? Oneworld services many more cities. I am trying to get a quote from SFO-BRU. Oneworld services SFO (BA, AA, ...).

2. Since I could not fly from SFO, I picked LAX, just to get a quote. Has IB started charging fees like BA? Is it because I picked BA for my flights, but other airlines will not require such fees?

Taxes, fees and carrier charges
Service fees No.Passengers Total Avios Total
Adult 60,000 0.00 + 656.52 0 x1 60,000 656.52

I stop trying to search on IB, their website keeps timing out :(

THanks.

You can fly from SFO. Are you searching on BA.com or Iberia.com? Both give the option of searching for availability from SFO-BRU.

If you fly BA through LHR then you will pay the high taxes/fees/charges.

onlysuites Aug 8, 2013 2:53 am

Originally Posted by Wozza2404 (Post 21223057)
Nope, just the webform.

A quick 20 minute call and they will be refunding the extra £15pp. Thanks ^

davinci1 Aug 8, 2013 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by nux (Post 21235008)
You can fly from SFO. Are you searching on BA.com or Iberia.com? Both give the option of searching for availability from SFO-BRU.

If you fly BA through LHR then you will pay the high taxes/fees/charges.

I'm serious. Avios redemption on iberia.com, using oneworld, does not let me select SFO. I can post a screenshot if you want. Have you tried?

Furthermore, i searched for the same flights LAX-BRU on both BA.com and iberia.com. They require different amount of miles, taxes, but even iberia.com was still charging very high taxes.

Any help would be appreciated. thanks

nux Aug 9, 2013 1:54 am

Originally Posted by davinci1 (Post 21241020)
I'm serious. Avios redemption on iberia.com, using oneworld, does not let me select SFO. I can post a screenshot if you want. Have you tried?

Furthermore, i searched for the same flights LAX-BRU on both BA.com and iberia.com. They require different amount of miles, taxes, but even iberia.com was still charging very high taxes.

Any help would be appreciated. thanks

Yes, SFO can be booked on iberia.com.

The Iberia "Avios Calculator" has limited options.
The Iberia "Book flights with avios" allows SFO when you select "Fly with oneworld". Either type in SFO, or San Francisco and it shows up.

If your LAX-BRU flights contain BA then there will be a high fuel surcharge whether booked through Iberia or BAEC.

iluvHK Aug 9, 2013 7:21 am

Hi
I'm not an Iberia plus user but when I search for flights it gives me an option to pay with Avios. Is this available on all routes or is it exactly the same as on Avios.com and the flight needs to be available on that route and there is very limited amount of seats.

thanks
Paulina

davinci1 Aug 9, 2013 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by nux (Post 21241295)
Yes, SFO can be booked on iberia.com.

The Iberia "Avios Calculator" has limited options.
The Iberia "Book flights with avios" allows SFO when you select "Fly with oneworld". Either type in SFO, or San Francisco and it shows up.

If your LAX-BRU flights contain BA then there will be a high fuel surcharge whether booked through Iberia or BAEC.

well there must be some bug with my account. I tried in IE and chrome, just to make sure, but I cannot enter SFO as my origin. I will have to call them.

Schwann Aug 11, 2013 4:52 am

I've managed to find some availbility on Avios.com which does not appear on BA.com's "Book with Avios" search.

The only problem is it won't let me book a "free" domestic connection other than on the same day like BA.com does.

Can this be added afterwards by calling them or is it just a trade off?

stifle Aug 11, 2013 6:15 am

Avios.com traditionally had some availability in revenue booking classes, so it seems like it's a trade-off in this instance.

1nfrequent Aug 11, 2013 12:52 pm

Does anyone have any tips for using Avios to upgrade from WT+ to CW for a LHR to Tokyo flight September 2014? (I know that booking won't open until October but am working out strategy now). Is NRT easier to get into the city than HND? Also, does anyone know if it's possible to use Avios to redeem for flights internally in Japan?

1F

PaulN Aug 11, 2013 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by 1nfrequent (Post 21253685)
Does anyone have any tips for using Avios to upgrade from WT+ to CW for a LHR to Tokyo flight September 2014? (I know that booking won't open until October but am working out strategy now). Is NRT easier to get into the city than HND? Also, does anyone know if it's possible to use Avios to redeem for flights internally in Japan?

1F

If you're intending to book a return ticket the usual problem is that the outbound avios award availability has disappeared before you can book a ticket that is 355 days out from your return trip (i.e. for a trip lasting 7 days you will have to wait until 7 days after the outbound award availability is released before you can book your WTP ticket). You might, however, be lucky and you should at least be able to snag an upgrade on the return journey.

HND is much closer to the centre of Tokyo but the BA flight times are not great - an 0450 odd arrival and an 0630 depart. You can (just) get public transport to get to and from HND but it won't do your body clock much good (I did it last year). NRT is around 90 mins by train from the centre of town but the flight times are slightly better.

1nfrequent Aug 13, 2013 3:30 pm

Cheers, PaulN. Appreciate it!

1F