FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Your guide to spending Avios [Beta] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1379276-your-guide-spending-avios-beta.html)

Morland Aug 14, 2013 3:15 am

Is it still the case that award flights on an itinerary cannot be changed after the first flight has been taken? Have got some last-minute availability on the days I want, but not the flights I want - just need to know whether it's worth continuing to monitor availability after I fly out. Is this something I need to call for rather than do online?

Wozza2404 Aug 14, 2013 3:18 am

Originally Posted by Morland (Post 21269600)
Is it still the case that award flights on an itinerary cannot be changed after the first flight has been taken? Have got some last-minute availability on the days I want, but not the flights I want - just need to know whether it's worth continuing to monitor availability after I fly out. Is this something I need to call for rather than do online?

You can change after your initial flight, but there does need to be award availability. Not sure if you'd manage to do this online; I had to call last time.

Morland Aug 14, 2013 3:24 am

Thanks Wozza, I thought I'd read something along those lines. I've got an AwardNexus alert set up so I'll keep it active and give them a call if I see anything open up. It's not critical, I'd just rather avoid an 8-hour layover at BOS (and I know it's easy to go into the city which is probably what I'd do, but by that time I'd probably just rather get home on an earlier flight...)

choupeo Aug 14, 2013 7:28 pm

Nevermind.

kats Aug 15, 2013 12:31 am

Originally Posted by Morland (Post 21269600)

You can still change the remaining flights even after taking the first flight. If you can't change online, call center agent will waive phone fee.

Katie717 Aug 15, 2013 10:40 am

Hi all,

apologies if this is a really stupid question! I used the Avios Calculator on the BA site to calculate how many avios are required to go LON - SYD in Business. It said 100,000 plus taxes etc. But when I tried to book this flight via their website, it told me I would need 250,000 avios plus fees/taxes. Is the Avios Calculator thing just a rough guide?

(If this should be posted here, please let me know and I'll delete)

redshift27 Aug 15, 2013 11:27 am

Originally Posted by Katie717 (Post 21278460)
Hi all,

apologies if this is a really stupid question! I used the Avios Calculator on the BA site to calculate how many avios are required to go LON - SYD in Business. It said 100,000 plus taxes etc. But when I tried to book this flight via their website, it told me I would need 250,000 avios plus fees/taxes. Is the Avios Calculator thing just a rough guide?

It is 100,000 each way if you book business class on the "direct" LHR-SYD flight. If you go LHR-SIN-SYD on BA I think it will be 110,000 Avios each way. If you end up on other airlines it may be more. Which specific flights gave you a quote of 250,000 return?

easyguy Aug 15, 2013 11:40 am

I just cancelled an award ticket.

How long it will take for the AVIOS points return back to my account ?

redshift27 Aug 15, 2013 11:44 am

Originally Posted by easyguy (Post 21278835)
I just cancelled an award ticket.

How long it will take for the AVIOS points return back to my account ?

See here or here.

redshift27 Aug 15, 2013 11:45 am

Originally Posted by redshift27 (Post 21278854)
See here or here.

(Have you tried turning it off and then turning it back on again?)

stifle Aug 17, 2013 7:22 am

Originally Posted by Katie717 (Post 21278460)
Hi all,

Did you possibly select a route that involves two or more BAEC partners? 100,000 would be the one-way rate for a journey from LON-SYD with no stopover.

litebluecanary Aug 19, 2013 5:41 am

Any advise?

Found answer

Hippo72 Aug 20, 2013 6:29 am

Question regarding the allowed stop-over in London on an o/w award ticket i.e. MUC-LHR-LAX:
Am I right that the stop-over in LHR can be up to 12 months?

And if I (have to) use a GGL redemption for MUC-LHR-LAX with a long stop-over in LHR and want to change the LHR-LAX after MUC-LHR is flown, do I need another joker if there's no regular award space on my new date for LHR-LAX?

Thank you!

Kristen68 Aug 21, 2013 6:58 am

This may be a dumb question, but I just booked a flight in WTP and tried to upgrade it with Avios, and the system told me it could not. Why would that be?

stifle Aug 21, 2013 7:05 am

Originally Posted by Kristen68 (Post 21309836)
This may be a dumb question, but I just booked a flight in WTP and tried to upgrade it with Avios, and the system told me it could not. Why would that be?

Could be any number of reasons, including:
  1. No award availability on your chosen date
  2. Booking not ticketed
  3. Booking is on non-125 paper
  4. Booking is with travel agent on ineligible fare
  5. BA system being crap today

If you post the flight details (origin/destination, number, and date) we can rule out number 1. Otherwise you may need to phone BA.