FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Your guide to spending Avios [Beta] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1379276-your-guide-spending-avios-beta.html)

blairk2 Aug 28, 2013 1:24 pm

The 'Avios Availability Tool'

Originally Posted by IMH (Post 21351388)
I'm happy to believe that there are times when it can be useful -- but not for assessing likely August 2014 availability in August 2013.

Thanks for the responses.

I think the tool is good for checking where your Avios can take you, but not for checking availability for more than 1 person.

I was trying to avoid checking all the destinations one by one, I was hoping there was a method of showing all availability at a certain time in a certain class.

blindman Aug 30, 2013 5:26 am

Cancellation of a low fee Avios trip

If I book a Japan domestic one way trip for 2 pax using Avios it will cost a total of 9000 Avios + a cash component of £4.00 ^

Is it true that if I then subsequently cancel it in order to get the 9000 Avios back BA will charge me £25.00 :td:

Cancellations are also permitted. So long as you cancel your ticket no later than 24 hours prior to the departure of the first flight sector on your ticket, you will receive a full refund of Avios Points as well as the taxes, fees, and surcharges paid minus a nominal redeposit fee (£25/€25/US$40). The additional offline fee also applies to redeposits.
Doesn't make sense to me :rolleyes:

nux Aug 30, 2013 5:45 am

Originally Posted by blindman (Post 21361916)
If I book a Japan domestic one way trip for 2 pax using Avios it will cost a total of 9000 Avios + a cash component of £4.00 ^

Is it true that if I then subsequently cancel it in order to get the 9000 Avios back BA will charge me £25.00 :td:

Doesn't make sens to me :rolleyes:

If the cash component is more than £25 you will receive the cash component back less £25, if it is less then you simply don't get back the cash component.

In your case, you will get back 9000 avios but forfeit the £4.

sadiqhassan Aug 30, 2013 6:44 am

Originally Posted by nux (Post 21361987)
If the cash component is more than £25 you will receive the cash component back less £25, if it is less then you simply don't get back the cash component.

One of my favorite things about Avios! ^

blindman Aug 30, 2013 6:56 am

Originally Posted by nux (Post 21361987)

Cheers.^

Definitely logical ;)

Guy Betsy Sep 1, 2013 12:36 am

More points needed for awards as of today?

Originally Posted by Hippo72 (Post 21350189)
I know that the cash component went up from 35€ to 42€ as of mid-July.

In the past, I could book MUC-LHR-NCL-MUC for 4500 Avios and 85€, now it is 5000 Avios and 102€.
Why 500 Avios more? And why 17€ more?

It's still 9000 and 42€ though.

I noticed that the short haul cash+points went up quietly today for Singapore accounts.

London to AMS usually costs 2250 + S$70.00
But I noticed the points featured a minimum of 2500 points and S$87 today. It was still the lower amount three days ago when I last checked.

Was there any officially notice about the increase?

Hippo72 Sep 1, 2013 12:49 am

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy (Post 21370642)
Was there any officially notice about the increase?

Not that I'm aware of :(

planky Sep 1, 2013 6:35 am

UuA is only allowing me to select "Economy". I want to select a WT+ seat and UuA it to CW. Is this a recent limitation - I upgraded WT+ seats to CW LHR to Toronto, 2 years ago.

planky Sep 1, 2013 6:47 am

I can only upgrade Economy seats using UuA - is this right?

I want to book WT+ seats and UuA to CW to either Vancouver or Calgary for my family next July. It's only allowing me to select "Economy" at the "Book and Upgrade" page of BAEC website. I've tried it on 3 computers and IE/Firefox.

It only allows me to select "Economy" before I've even entered any destinations or dates - as though the only seat you can upgrade is an economy seat no matter what the date/destination...

Is this a new limitation? I upgraded WT+ to CW with points to Toronto 2 years ago...

Thanks in advance
Planky

planky Sep 1, 2013 7:59 am

Originally Posted by planky (Post 21371336)
I want to book WT+ seats and UuA to CW to either Vancouver or Calgary for my family next July. It's only allowing me to select "Economy" at the "Book and Upgrade" page of BAEC website. I've tried it on 3 computers and IE/Firefox.

It only allows me to select "Economy" before I've even entered any destinations or dates - as though the only seat you can upgrade is an economy seat no matter what the date/destination...

Is this a new limitation? I upgraded WT+ to CW with points to Toronto 2 years ago...

Thanks in advance
Planky

Arrggghh! User error. Well I think it was anyway...

Globaliser Sep 1, 2013 11:21 am

Originally Posted by planky (Post 21371336)
It only allows me to select "Economy" before I've even entered any destinations or dates ...

After you've entered your origin and destination, the cabin list should be properly populated. I think that the website page is intended to show only the appropriate cabins for the route that you've asked to fly.

zhengqiji Sep 1, 2013 4:19 pm

cancellation one ticket under a two-ticekt reservation

Hi guys, I need some more info about my case as I searched and didn't find too much info.

I've booked tickets for my friend and I MEX-MIA o/w on AA metal with Avios. Now she has changed her plan so I need to cancel her ticket. I've tried cancelling online for her ticket only but the website said Cancellations will apply to all passengers in the booking. If you do not want to make the cancellation for all passengers please contact your local British Airways office.You may be charged for offline service fees.

So if I call 800 452 1201, can I assume that agents know how to cancel one ticket while keep the other under a two-ticket reservation? Are BA agents clueless as DL's? I'm a little bit concerned that they might be ruined my reservation as too much pain gained from dealing with DL..

Also I know that I need to pay $40 for online cancellation (or will be refunded fuel surcharge minus $40) and get the 10,000 Avios redeposit, In addition to that, will I be charged for $20 phone agent fee?

TIA!

e cosi Sep 1, 2013 5:56 pm

New and trying to learn....

My wife and I are contemplating using BA as our carrier of choice. I've been reading through the BA website to learn the system of being BAEC. As we would probably qualify at the Gold level I have a couple of observations that I would like clarified.
It seems that once you reach Gold you have all the lovely perks for booking, boarding, lounges, etc. as we would find with most quality airlines.
The part that seems a disappointment is that there is no "leg up" or advantage to being Gold with regard to upgrading. It seems that everyone from Blue to Gold GL is in the same competition to upgrade with the various methods of getting into CW or First. Coming from Air Canada the Super Elites have booking windows that give them preference over the lower qualifying levels.
I realize that BA will only release so many seats per flight until they conclude that they will not sell the remainder and at that time they would be released back into the pool for upgrades that will be gobbled up first come first serve.
Also, if you book a ticket you would have to manually search every day/week to see if any space has come available. This might work if you are planning months and months ahead as you should find your upgradable space but on departures less than a month out it seems to be a very low possibility of an upgrade. Have I understood the system?

moondog Sep 1, 2013 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by e cosi (Post 21373829)
I realize that BA will only release so many seats per flight until they conclude that they will not sell the remainder and at that time they would be released back into the pool for upgrades that will be gobbled up first come first serve.
Also, if you book a ticket you would have to manually search every day/week to see if any space has come available. This might work if you are planning months and months ahead as you should find your upgradable space but on departures less than a month out it seems to be a very low possibility of an upgrade. Have I understood the system?

They now offer a 7 day view of flights, showing all classes of service.

But, using Avios is much more of an art than a science: e.g. you need to think about fuel surcharges, minimizing connections, and distance thresholds.

In any event, gold is really nice to have.

Globaliser Sep 2, 2013 12:04 am

The part that seems a disappointment is that there is no "leg up" or advantage to being Gold with regard to upgrading. It seems that everyone from Blue to Gold GL is in the same competition to upgrade with the various methods of getting into CW or First. Coming from Air Canada the Super Elites have booking windows that give them preference over the lower qualifying levels.

While this is true for normal upgrading, Golds (particularly high Golds) do have some priority over other members for awards. All Golds can get some extra award space in economy that isn't available to other members. Golds also have the option of spending double miles for awards (pure redemptions, though, not upgrades). If you earn enough Tier Points to reach the trigger levels for them, you can get Gold Upgrade for Two vouchers (commonly abbreviated here as GUF2). Also, Gold Gust List members have a "joker" benefit that allows them to book awards into certain types of normal revenue space. So there are some award benefits from being Gold, even if they don't include anything for normal mileage upgrades.

The way that BA currently operates in practice, the difference here may be more theoretical than real. After any award space that's been made available a long time away from the flight has been taken, many flights stay at zero award space until close to the time of the flight (in the last week or so). Consequently, booking three months out and booking three weeks out may in practice give you about the same chance of a mileage upgrade.