FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Your guide to spending Avios [Beta] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1379276-your-guide-spending-avios-beta.html)

barnstaple Jul 2, 2013 5:51 am

Thanks for your advice guys - decided against it in the end as I was going to be charged £40pp in off line fees (can't upgrade it online) and admin fees in addition to the avios. If it had just been the avios I would have done it but on such a short flight couldn't justify even the small amount of money considering its AA's old 757 config...

jamar Jul 2, 2013 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete (Post 20911152)
Hmm. This does not sound right - nobody else has observed this before that I've seen.

Going back to this, I seem to be encountering this quite a bit when searching for AS availability. AA seems to be able to see some availability that BA can't, which means quite a bit of quick thinking to change itineraries I had put together on the basis of what I saw as open on AA.com.

gallagher Jul 2, 2013 5:05 pm

Number of seats showing availability for BA Avios Redemption

I've been monitoring BA F Avios availability for over a month now waiting for some outward availability to open up so I can use my Amex 2-4-1.

On the return leg it was showing '8 seats available for redemption' until yesterday when it changed to not specifying a number of seats for redemption.

What can I assume from this?

Thank you

EuropeanPete Jul 2, 2013 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by jamar (Post 21029575)
Going back to this, I seem to be encountering this quite a bit when searching for AS availability. AA seems to be able to see some availability that BA can't, which means quite a bit of quick thinking to change itineraries I had put together on the basis of what I saw as open on AA.com.

AS availability is an exception - because they're not a OW member, they do not show up online and you need to book over the phone.

angatol Jul 2, 2013 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by gallagher (Post 21030364)
On the return leg it was showing '8 seats available for redemption' until yesterday when it changed to not specifying a number of seats for redemption.

What can I assume from this?

There are now 9 seats available.

gallagher Jul 3, 2013 1:42 am

Originally Posted by angatol (Post 21031786)
There are now 9 seats available.

Why doesn't it say '9 seats available' then?

jamar Jul 3, 2013 1:45 am

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete (Post 21031438)
AS availability is an exception - because they're not a OW member, they do not show up online and you need to book over the phone.

And I'm guessing that BA uses a different bucket than AA does for awards on AS? I really wish they'd get on making that online; their call center hours are kind of limited and I can't even call out of region to do the booking.

redshift27 Jul 3, 2013 1:59 am

Originally Posted by gallagher (Post 21032237)
Why doesn't it say '9 seats available' then?

Because the GDS never shows more than 9 seats available even if there actually are. E.g. you could book 5 and it would still show 9 as the bucket may get auto-refilled.

EuropeanPete Jul 3, 2013 8:36 am

Originally Posted by jamar (Post 21032244)
And I'm guessing that BA uses a different bucket than AA does for awards on AS? I really wish they'd get on making that online; their call center hours are kind of limited and I can't even call out of region to do the booking.

It's definitely not different. I'll let someone who knows what they're talking about confirm whether AA has access to multiple levels (e.g. AASaver) categories or whether BA has completely the same access.

stimpy Jul 7, 2013 4:55 pm

I just did a UUA to upgrade LHR-HKG from CW to F. I've done plenty of MFU's in the past, mostly to LAX, and they always cost 25,000. But this time they charged me 30,000 Avios. Is that normal?

And of course my feeder flight, LYS-LHR shows up as 0 TP's and miles earned. :mad: They still haven't fixed that?

nux Jul 8, 2013 2:05 am

Originally Posted by stimpy (Post 21056858)
I just did a UUA to upgrade LHR-HKG from CW to F. I've done plenty of MFU's in the past, mostly to LAX, and they always cost 25,000. But this time they charged me 30,000 Avios. Is that normal?

The amount to UuA is based on what an economy redemption is.

LHR-HKG economy redemption is 30,000 avios. So a CW-F UuA is 30k also.

LHR-LAX economy redemption is 25,000 avios, so CW-F UuA is 25k.

LHR-JFK would be 20k.

stifle Jul 8, 2013 5:10 am

Originally Posted by stimpy (Post 21056858)
And of course my feeder flight, LYS-LHR shows up as 0 TP's and miles earned. :mad: They still haven't fixed that?

No they haven't. But they will for you with a quick phone call.

doodlehead Jul 9, 2013 4:17 am

First post, so be kind. Do flights and/or upgrades booked with Avios also earn tier points and Avios? I have had a good look around but couldn't find an answer.
Thanks
DH

nux Jul 9, 2013 4:31 am

Originally Posted by doodlehead (Post 21065585)
First post, so be kind, do flights and/or upgrades booked with Avios also earn tier points and Avios? have had a good look around but couldn't find an answer.
Thanks
DH

Pure redemption bookings no.
Avios upgrade of a cash booking you receive avios/TP's for the class originally booked with cash.

It is all clearly listed here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ing-avios.html

doodlehead Jul 9, 2013 4:44 am

Thank you nux, I'm not called Doodlehead for nothing!